National Retail Flat Tax of 10% on all retail items

First round is acceptance.The debate is about if the United States should change their tax system to a national retail flat tax of 10% on all retail items. I will be the pro side while con will defend the tax system already in place.

I do not think it is fair to force me to defend the current model, as I should be able to attack your argument on my own terms. Regardless, I accept.

Point of clarification: the tax you propose is the end tax on retail items (much like sales tax). This tax does not trigger from business-to-business transactions (e.g. a wholesaler selling Home Depot lumber).

Question: does this tax apply to food, clothing, and other necessary items?

Good luck.

utahjoker forfeited this round.

Since it looks like a default victory, I will merely state that a 10% flat tax would have only raised around $820 billion (very likely less) in 2010, which represented 23.7% of 2010 federal spending [1]. The current system generated over 2.5x more, at about 62.6% of 2010 spending [2].

Therefore, the status quo is superior.

Vote Con.

I ran out of time on my last argument but I will just give my argument

It is true that a 10% would be a lot less than what the federal government usually get, but this could finally lead to cuts the government and the budget saving money. With this flat tax it would be a lot simpler and their won't be a 47% people not paying income taxes. There no longer will be a 99% vs 1% there would only one percentage called the 100%. It would tax people on how they live not their paycheck. Would be taxing illegal immigrants, tourists, and everyone else that buys from the United States.

Vote pro because it is time to change the tax system to a better place.

I had a feeling your argument would have gone the route it did, but the resolution is on the tax itself, not the state/cost of the federal budget. The fact is, in 2010, a 10% tax would barely cover Social Security payments ($701 billion), so how could the government afford any actual legitimate expenses?

First you would need to get rid of Social Security, and that can't happen for a few decades, thus, the status quo is superior to the 10% flat tax, at least for a few decades.

The real debate would have been around the expected revenue, as the number I quoted is 10% of every dollar of income. Obviously, not every dollar is spent on taxable goods, let alone spent at all(savings, investing). The debate would have been that 10% is too low.
(table s-3)
Posted by wrichcirw 3 years ago
1) Conduct to CON for one round of forfeit by PRO
2) PRO argued over unrealistic ideas and principles, CON argued based on fact and reality.
3) source points to CON.

PRO - the 1% is not based on taxes, but on total wealth. It's irrelevant to this discussion.
Posted by wrichcirw 3 years ago
I disagree that this should be a consumption tax vs. status quo. It should be a consumption tax. vs no consumption tax. It could very well be that someone can effectively argue that neither system is good - under the rules PRO has set up, no one would win in such a scenario.
Posted by larztheloser 3 years ago
I might take this if still open tomorrow. It's just that my familiarity with the current US tax code isn't amazing (although my understanding is that even most Americans don't understand it massively well either, so perhaps I may be excused as a foreigner), and I'm a bit busy.
Posted by utahjoker 3 years ago
yep this will be a sales tax / consumption tax. And it will be a 10% which means taxes will be cut.
Posted by ax123man 3 years ago
I'm confused. Is this a consumption/sales tax? The consumption tax is known as the fair tax and it's been calculated it would need to be 30%, not 10%, to maintain revenues. Unless you are also arguing taxes should be cut be one-third (I'm all for that). The flat income tax is the one that is normally 10%, I believe.
Vote Placed by wrichcirw 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: see comment