ldellova
Deathbeforedishonour

Native American Culture is way better than the Europeans

ldellova

ldellova

Pro

When the European explorers came to the new world, they found the Native Americans. After trading with these group of people, they concluded that they were savages. My argument is that the Native's way of life was better than the Europeans.
(Ex: the Native Americans had better hygiene, way of agriculture, etc.)
Con has to present an argument that supports that Europeans have a better way of life.
Round one is acceptance only. Good Luck!
Deathbeforedishonour

Con

ldellova

Pro

To start this debate, (since it is 5 rounds) I'm going to take it slow by focusing on one topic at a time.
This quote is comparing Native Americans to the White Man:
"The first thing I would say, is that the Native Americans live in the sacred; The white man studies it. The White's history is written in books; The Red's is written in their hearts. The White's need laws by which to live; the Red's did not. The White's have criminals; The Red's did not. The White's leaders lie to their people; For the Red's it would have been unthinkable. The Red children were raised to become themselves, to become distinct individuals; The White children are raised to be the same. Silence was one of the Red's greatest virtues; The White's, incessant noise. The Red children are taught, from birth, generosity; The White children, accumulation and greed. The White's value success; The Red's value respect and honor. The White's do things for profit; The Red's to be helpful."
[http://a-rainbow-of-spirituality.org...]

Cropping—
It was the Native Americans who "helped the colonists survive in their new environment…such as squash and maize, and taught them farming methods." The Native Americans also "taught them the rotation system," which preserves the nutrients in the soil. The Native Americans had knowledge of the natural materials and how to preserve the world around them.
"Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents; it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."
-Native American Proverb
The Native Americans goal was to save space and prepare the land for their future generations. This was very important to them. To do this, they would plant rows of crops were "placed closely to one another."
http://www.jamesmadisonmus.org...

Without Native Americans, Europeans would not have been able to support themselves in their New World.

Native American Concept of Land—
The Indians had no concept of "private property," as applied to the land. Only among the Delawares was it customary for families, during certain times of the year, to be assigned specific hunting territories. Apparently this was an unusual practice, not found among other Indians. Certainly, the idea of an individual having exclusive use of a particular piece of land was completely strange to Native Americans.
Civilization was lead by domesticating and settling, this lead to money, which lead to power, wealth, and territory. Natives also domesticated animals and had partial-settlements yet they did not have a complex economic system like Europeans. When the Natives gave land to the Dutch, the Natives didn't expect that the settlers would permanently prohibit them; they expected that the land were for them to share.
It is like if you rented out a room to this guy and you came home from work one day and he took over the entire house. When you ask why he took over the whole house, he would say, "Oh! I thought I was renting the whole house." Then you go to the judge and the law favors the guy who took your house. This is a misfortune for the Natives because this is what happens to them until they are forced into reservations. Their land was taken away from them by law that is not their own and it is used against them. http://www.wvculture.org...
http://itech.fgcu.edu...
http://pa.gov...
Deathbeforedishonour

Con

Deathbeforedishonour forfeited this round.
ldellova

Pro

....Alright then.... Since I have nothing to argue against, I will add on to my argument with Native vs Europeans with hygiene.
Firstly,
Europeans came to the new world, and concluded that since the natives are almost naked, they are savages.
But they did not leave any open-mindedness to discover that they are wrong. True, Natives wore next to nothing during the summer months of the year. But they wore heavier clothes in the fall and winter months while still being respectful to the ecosystem.
Secondly,
For Europeans, bathing was a upper-status luxury. Even the super rich couldn't have the frequency of bathing because the most they bathed was two to three times a year (and that was lucky). The poor and not so rich probably never bathed. For Natives however, bathing was for everyone because the endless flow of river and stream water was for everyone. The Natives probably bathed everyday, not only bathed to get clean, but swam care free. Meanwhile, Europeans rarely swam for pleasure.
Another interesting fact, is that when women had their monthly course, or in the child birth process, Natives built a separate hut away from the rest of the village, by the stream or river (for frequent access to the water). This gives respective space for women to go through what men were not permitted to participate.
What royal Europeans did, was enclose the woman in a room blocking out any light, and this prevented air circulation. What they did not know, is that constant encasement caused bacteria to grow and a lot of women died for childbirth. Now there is no evidence on the Natives side if expecting mothers died often or not. But comparatively speaking, Natives were aware of cleanliness and hygiene, while Europeans never connected bacteria to lack of hygiene, so I'm guessing that not as many Native women died from bacterial infection.
Deathbeforedishonour

Con

ldellova

Pro

I stand by what I have said in prior arguments and I'm not going to waste my time posting another argument it would be a waste of my time since Con has forfeited.
Deathbeforedishonour

Con

ldellova

Pro

If you knew you weren't going to debate why debate me? I'm sorry that this was a waste of your time, my time, and voters time.
Deathbeforedishonour

Con

Posted by DP8184 5 years ago
DP8184
Oh yes, lets all blame it on those evil white Christians! If theres a problem in the world, its because of evil white Christians, sure enough. Lets just ignore the fact that white Christians practically built all of western civilisation. Heres a thought, why dont you people find me ONE atheist/pagan non-white who contributed something MAJOUR to the world, something good, something that actually helped people, that wasnt already around. And Im sure youll come up with a few names, and then Ill find the evidence that they were actually frauds/idiots, and then youll deny it, and then we'll argue until the cows come home and accomplish nothing. Hmm, I think I should exclude Hindus, Arabs, and Asians from that criteria... they seem to have done some good things here and there. Oh, heres a fun fact! Do you know what the greatest Jewish invention of all time is? The atomic bomb... they sure know how to help people, dont they? And about blaming problems of the 'dark ages' on the spread of Christianity, you do realise that that era used to be called the Early Medieval period, right? But youre probably getting your sources from modern textbooks, almost all of which are written with EXTREME bias towards the humanistic/naturalistic and semitic side. Do some real research before you bash one of the greatest periods of human achievement, and seriously, WE told the pagans not to bathe? Peasants were naturally stupid then, just as Proles are stupid now. Most peasants then were vegetarians yet they didnt bathe much. Most Proles now are carnivores who bathe often. Its got almost nothing to do with religion, its just a sign of the times and a reflection of the average level of human consciousness that waxes and wanes. I think Ill start my next debate on Christianity's influence over Europe and the world... (blame Luther and the Protestants, not Catholicism, we helped, they hurt)
Posted by Deathbeforedishonour 5 years ago
Deathbeforedishonour
I got hit with a lot of homework. :'/
Posted by ldellova 5 years ago
ldellova
Then why didn't you even attempt to debate me?!
Deathbeforedishonour
I agree.
Posted by Aldric_Winterblade 5 years ago
Aldric_Winterblade
I have to say that if Christianity hadn't poisoned Europe, we would have been able to say the same for ourselves. The ancients, like the Vikings, for example, used to be meticulously clean (Saurday was washing day), but then the Christians came along and made that sinful or some such crap, just to enforce their religion. Hence the filth of the Dark Ages.
Vote Placed by F-16_Fighting_Falcon 5 years ago
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
ldellovaDeathbeforedishonourTied
Reasons for voting decision: Death before dishonor forfeited.
Vote Placed by Maikuru 5 years ago
Maikuru
ldellovaDeathbeforedishonourTied
Reasons for voting decision: Full forfeit by Con demands a Pro vote.