frankfurter50
FishAndChips22

Native Americans were, in some ways, responsible for their own demise.

FishAndChips22 has forfeited round #2.

frankfurter50

Pro

Ladies and gentlemen, i present to you, a race of people who crossed the Bering Strait twenty thousand years ago or so, discovered a new and wonderful continent, and then... did nothing for ten thousand years. For this debate, I will tell you why Native Americans were responsible for their near extinction. this debate is open to anybody. I have some Native American blood, so I am entitled to make this claim.

Let the battle begin.
FishAndChips22

Con

frankfurter50

Pro

Ok. I am fully prepared to defend my point.

First, I suppose you'll say something about the white people coming and stealing their land from them. But, before we talk about them, let's talk about the time before they came. Native American history doesn't only have to do with white people. this is an ignorant state of mind. Let's discuss, first of all, the TEN THOUSAND YEARS or so before Columbus landed. At this time, they were alone on the continent. No diseases, no guns, no other people at all.

Why, then, after TEN THOUSAND YEARS, did we have art, paintings, sculptures, architecture, writing, and all the other things, while they were drawing on cave walls and living in tents? It's inconceivable. Why, when they found this wonderful, amazing new continent, didn't they try to make something out of it? No. They didn't do anything to it. They weren't even really a civilization. They were a few nomadic tribes, scattered all over, gnawing on bones and the like.

now, keep in mind, I'm not including anyone from Mesoamerica here. I'm only talking about the Native Americans here where the United States is today. the people down in Mesoamerica actually did things. they built ziggurats, irrigation systems, a complex religion with several different deities. they invented the concept of zero and predicted eclipses. Those native Americans, they actually did things that could improve their lives. So I'm not including them in this debate. I'm talking about the Native Americans here. Why didn't they build anything up? TEN THOUSAND YEARS of isolation, alone, on this continent, with no interference from Europeans whatsoever. that's a long time. It's five times from the birth of Christ till now? what the hell did they even DO?

have they left any lasting impacts on our culture? do they hold any respectable positions in any public office? No. It's all because, when they got here, over the Bering strait, ten thousand years ago, they didn't do doodley squat. They just hung around, doing random things.

But WHY? I couldn't find any kind of reasonable explanation. I just can't fathom why, in that time, they didn't do anything. It makes no sense. Why couldn't they build something that even somewhat resembled a civilization? Go ahead, Fish, and try to come up with some kind of reasonable explanation. There is no reasonable explanation as to why they couldn't have done anything with the land they found. Go ahead. I can wait.
Posted by frankfurter50 9 months ago
frankfurter50
Oh, so we didn't read round one. I suggest you do that now. HEY, MISTER! ONLY ONE DAY LEFT! GET ON IT!
Posted by missmedic 9 months ago
missmedic
You use the word "demise" when you should use the word "genocide". Then you can say "Native Americans were, in some ways, responsible for their own genocide just like the Jews".
According to Ward Churchill, a professor of ethnic studies at the University of Colorado, the reduction of the North American Indian population from an estimated 12 million in 1500 to barely 237,000 in 1900 represents a "vast genocide . . . , the most sustained on record."
Posted by frankfurter50 9 months ago
frankfurter50
I don't get what you're saying.
Posted by canis 9 months ago
canis
1.If native americans had developed superior weapons. The Europeans would in some ways be responsible for their own demise.
2. If non of them had weapons...
Posted by frankfurter50 9 months ago
frankfurter50
right. it's not that big a deal. I'm just trying to be PC, is all,. As I will prove later on, they were MOSTLY responsible for their own demise.
Posted by frankfurter50 9 months ago
frankfurter50
Posted by What50 9 months ago
What50
I agree, as such this is a debate, and having a much more precise title can make it easier for the person to accept know his position. Though I feel like your wording would be better, I feel that you also have the right to keep the title.
Posted by frankfurter50 9 months ago
frankfurter50
Right, whatever. Enough details. Let's get down to the nitty gritty. I am ready for this debate. Anybody who wants to fight me can, otherwise, just back away, ok? Your point, I'm sure, makes sense, but I don't get it, and it's insignificant. it's just a figure of speech, not mathematical or anything. just go ahead and let's start.
Posted by Overhead 9 months ago
Overhead
What I'm saying is that the topic of debate is very much slanted. If you show that their demise was 0.0001% down to their own actions, that can still qualify as "in some ways" as per the debate title.

While the technically true, it is still largely irrelevant to the overall point.
Posted by R_Jacob_Percival_M 9 months ago
R_Jacob_Percival_M
I recommend Jared Diamond's Guns Germs and Steel