Bordenkircher
ezhang777

Native English speakers should learn a second language.

Bordenkircher

Pro

I am for native English speakers learning a foreign language. If you believe that learning a foreign language if you speak English is unnecessary, feel free to debate me.

The first round is for acceptance. The remaining two are to present arguments and refute the opponent.
ezhang777

Con

What's up!

Let me warn you... I'm a newbie in this site so don't expect to lose. Lol

I accept your challenge. I will still try my best to debate against you.

Good Luck!
Bordenkircher

Pro

English is only one of a few thousand languages. When compared to the world's popuation, English is not that large of a language as some make it out to be. Having traveled to many foreign coutnries, I understand that English is very geographically limited. In order to be able to speak with more people, we should learn multiple languages. The more languages, the more you can communicate.

In addition, learning new languages keeps you involved in multiple cultures. The idioms and phrases of another country can help one understand how they think, and their way of life. Learning a language also allows you to understand the music and literature of the country. Speaking a new language affects more than your communication. It affects who you are.
ezhang777

Con

Firstly, I would like to point out some misleading flaws on the pros side.

1.Pro stated that English is the one language out of thousands. However English is the most commonly known. If you had to select a random person from the 7 billion people in our world (if it was an adult) one out of five would understand English.
I got this statistic from http://www.ask.com...

Now onto my points. A second language is helpful, but is it essential? English is already such a commonly used language. Yet even if you do come across a circumstance were a second language is needed what are the chances that you will know it.
Learning a second language can be a risky move, it may not fully benefit you.

Moreover, technology is so useful. Rather than spending a few years to speak a language why not use the technology most of us possess. The translator is so much more efficient.
Bordenkircher

Pro

Con stated that English is the most spoken language. By total number of speakers, it is, but by number of native speakers, Mandarin and then Spanish both beat English. If someone who learnt English as a second language would speak it when they had to, but if you go to their country, it is better to use their language. Also, many people who speak English are not at a level where they can have a decent conversation. Lastly, English speakers (both native and not) only make up about 11% of the world population (740 million, Source 1). This means that 89% of people cannot understand English speakers at all.

"A second language is helpful, but is it essential? English is already such a commonly used language. Yet even if you do come across a circumstance were a second language is needed what are the chances that you will know it.
Learning a second language can be a risky move, it may not fully benefit you."

That is why you would choose to speak a language that would be useful, for example, if you are working in space travel, Russian is useful. If you work in Arizona, Spanish is useful. If you have a Quebec girlfriend, French is useful.

"Moreover, technology is so useful. Rather than spending a few years to speak a language why not use the technology most of us possess. The translator is so much more efficient."

Translating technology is only effective in written forms of a language. It also contains many errors. Computers cannot read context that well and therefore can mistranslate words with multiple definitions. Also, some languages that contain many word forms or affixes will not translate (for example, Esperanto suffixes won't translate unless they are common). Learning the language also enables you to have a conversation in the language.

1. http://en.wikipedia.org...

ezhang777

Con

Learning a language requires a lot of time. Where are children going to find such time. They will have more necessary things to do such as sport and other activities that will benefit children more.

Pro stated that Spanish and Mandarin are more commonly used. Yes but let's take the realistic side...
If I learnt Mandarin, taking me years and years, all I can really do is travel to that country. Is that worth it. I'm sure you will have friends that will speak your language. Australia is such a multicultural country, you will most likely find a friend that speaks Mandarin or Spanish.

"In addition, learning new languages keeps you involved in multiple cultures. The idioms and phrases of another country can help one understand how they think, and their way of life. Learning a language also allows you to understand the music and literature of the country. Speaking a new language affects more than your communication. It affects who you are."

Ask yourself this question... Is it possible to learn more than one language "learning new languages..." Verbal communication isn't the only way of understanding who people are. Pictures and foods also bring cultures together. Learning a new language is up to native speakers whether they wish to spend time on it or deciding to learn other new things. Vote for me Con.
Posted by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
Is learning a second language necessary? No. Is it still useful? Yes.
Posted by Sitara 3 years ago
Sitara
I am on the pro's side.