Defensor-of-Apollo
viraj.mahesh

Natural, Inalienable Rights do not Support the Practice of Abortion

Defensor-of-Apollo

Defensor-of-Apollo

Pro

Rounds

Round One: Acceptance
Round Two: Arguments and Position (new arguments)
Round Three: Rebuttals (no new arguments)
Round Four: Defense of Rebuttals (no new arguments, no new scope)
Round Five: Conclusions and Vote Plea (no new arguments, no new scope, no rebuttals, no defenses, no defenses of other's vote plea)

Rules

1. Burden of proof is dependent upon Con's position; it is a rational deduction of Con's choice of slant/position.
2. Ethical manner should be conducted with the objective of a debate; consider semantics, plagiarism, ad hominems, tangents, benefit of the doubt, etc.
3. Accepting the debate is equivocal to accepting all the terms and conditions here; otherwise, clarify in comments.

Voter Guidance

1. Substantiated explanations are required.
2. Use the voting rubric strictly; voting may be slanted heavily in breach of the terms and conditions here.
3. If conduct and sources are to be favored, it must be based upon arguments in the last round which is the voting plea; convincing arguments and spelling and grammar are not necessarily solely rooted in the voting plea but throughout the debate.
4. Spelling and grammar should be contested loosely.

Resolution

Natural, inalienable rights do not support the practice of abortion.

Definitions

Natural, inalienable right -

This is mutually exclusive with the term legal right; in fact, it forms a dichotomy with legal right. Thus, all rights are either legal or both natural and inalienable. Since the latter is both (a)natural and (b)inalienable it is also respectively both (a)existing because the holder of the right exists and (b)may never be separated from the holder of the right. This my be short-handed to either natural right or inalienable right for brevity. They are one and the same.

Legal right -

A right that is existing because the holder is governed and is bestowed at will by the government. These rights are not necessarily granted at birth and are also separable from the holder of the right.

Person -

A person is a human being regarded as an individual. This definition does not include or exclude by age or by fact of birth. Thus, it is not provable by definition alone that an unborn child/fetus is or is not a person.

Support -

If a is supported by b, then b justifies a. It leaves reason to believe so and it is affirmative.

Abortion -

An abortion is a deliberate termination of a person's pregnancy. For simplification, the pregnancy was initiated by consensual sex of persons of the age of consent.

Concessions

1. Natural, inalienable rights exist and their existence will not be contested.
2. Persons hold natural, inalienable rights.
3. The age of consent is irrelevant to this debate; thus, it will not be contested.

Acceptance

I affirm the resolution which is natural, inalienable rights do not support the practice of abortion. I accept the terms and conditions.
viraj.mahesh

Con

Defensor-of-Apollo

Pro

The Right to Choose

I. Which choices are rights?

But to ask that first consider: Are all choices rights? The correct reponse would be no, as shown here. Taking property is a choice. But it is considered stealing if that property was owned by another party. Thus, in the instance that taking property that is not self-owned, it is not a right. This shows there to be an exception to the following statement: All choices are rights. In logic jargon, this exception is known as a counterexample [1].

So, concerning the original query, there should be a definition to explain the counterexample. I propose that a choice is a right if and only if it there is no duty not to make the choice. This definition is consistent with the Hohfeldian privilege.

II. Hohfeldian Privilege

The classification system is the Hohfeldian Analytical System and all four incidents are the privilege, the claim, the power, and the immunity. A privilege describes an interaction of permittance. One privilege is the right to pick up a shell off the beach. Thus to have this right, you must have no obligation not to pick it up. [2] An obligation might exist if the beach was privately owned. The right to choose is a type of privilege. In fact, the right to choose describes many privileges. But there are limits to this right. In the previous example the limit came from someone else's right to own property. So, I end this section with this statement:

If the right to life is to be the limit for the choice of an abortion or over one's own body to be a right, then it must be shown that the life to be killed carries this right to life by being a person.

To add total support for the justification of this statement I feel that I must add the right to life is indeed a duty to not make certain choices. Such a choice is killing a person.

III. Inalienable Rights

There are two angles to justify abortion; one being the right of choice over one's own body and the other being the right to choose an abortion. Both are invalid if the unborn baby is shown to be a person. If it is a person, it has the right to life.

The right to life is of course an inalienable right. It is not a right that is solely delegated by government. This would make it a legal right by the way. If it isn't a legal right, it is inalienable. Claiming the unborn do not express the right to life sets a dangerous precedent. The precedent that throughout life we may not carry the same inalienable rights at any other developmental point. Inalienable rights are not meant to be seperable from persons; this precedent would actually mean inalienable rights do not exist.

IV. Lack of Negative Precedent

Commonly coming from advocates of the right of choice over one's own body, there are claims that abortion avoids the precedent that government can force our choices. However, in a way this is alredy set. Government regularly enforces the abstinence of choices such as murder and theft. Taking to precedent to include choices that are rights, this precedent cannot possibly be set if the basis is actually protecting the natural rights of persons.

V. The Fundamental Importance of Right to Life

The right to life is logically neccessary in order to express all other rights. One cannot choose without living for example. It is fundamental; thus its Hohfeldian classificiation is irrelevant.

Summation

1. Right to choose can only exist if no duty exists not to choose.
2. A right can act as a duty such as the right to life and the right to own property.
3. A 'unborn baby' is a person, therefore expressing the right to live.
4. The practice of abortion is not supported by natural, inalnable rights because natural, inalienable rights protect the life of a person abortion tries to kill.

[1] http://www.mathwords.com...
[2] http://plato.stanford.edu...
viraj.mahesh

Con

viraj.mahesh forfeited this round.
Defensor-of-Apollo

Pro

I permit an exception of the rules to benefit my opponent; he may add new arguments next round in addition to rebutting my arguments.

My arguments are extended.
viraj.mahesh

Con

viraj.mahesh forfeited this round.
Defensor-of-Apollo

Pro

My opponent does not seem he will make a return. Ido believe the debate is in a place that round cannot be mad up for, vote PRO.
viraj.mahesh

Con

viraj.mahesh forfeited this round.
Defensor-of-Apollo

Pro

Complete forfeit leaves all of my points uncontested. Vote PRO.
viraj.mahesh

Con

viraj.mahesh forfeited this round.
Posted by viraj.mahesh 4 years ago
viraj.mahesh
Sorry. I am posting it here as I do not want to waste a round. I will refer to this when I make my next post.
I affirm that which natural, inalienable rights support the practice of abortion. I accept the terms and conditions.
Posted by Defensor-of-Apollo 4 years ago
Defensor-of-Apollo
What you have affirmed is not contrary to the resolution...
Vote Placed by Maikuru 4 years ago
Maikuru
Defensor-of-Apolloviraj.maheshTied
Reasons for voting decision: Full Con forfeit
Vote Placed by Muted 4 years ago
Muted
Defensor-of-Apolloviraj.maheshTied
Reasons for voting decision: 1.75 points for every forfeit.
Vote Placed by imabench 4 years ago
imabench
Defensor-of-Apolloviraj.maheshTied
Reasons for voting decision: complete FF