SilverKoneko
MRReadme

Naturalized Citizen For President

SilverKoneko

Con

Con: Natural-born clause should remain as is in the Constitution and naturalized citizens should not be able to run for President.
Article II Section 1 Clause 5 states:
"No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States."

The reason for requiring that the president be a natural-born citizens was similarly tied to contemporary politics. The founding fathers were worried that European Monarchs were going to take over the New World and to preserve national security and civil liberties, they decided that the best way to do that was to have the representative of our great nation, the President, be a natural-born citizen.

I have a term paper due next week on this subject and I wanted to get some practice debate in. (:
MRReadme

Pro

Greetings and thank you for such an interesting topic to debate.
Let me start off by saying that I understand your view, but i do disagree that this is some outdated clause. In it's time then as it is now, electing the President of our nation is an event of great importance. After all the President will represent the United States of America. Although it may seem prejudicial to some, it is very natural for the majority of our country's citizens to require the president to have been born in the county for which he/she will be elected as the highest authority. I would call that patriotism, wouldn't you?
Also, you mention that this clause was just a precaution to prevent the British to infiltrate our government, Don't you think this idea still applies today? The British are our allies now but in this far more complex network of foreign involvement it still remains paramount to secure our government from infiltrators.
Case and point, it is crucial for our country's defense, public and diplomatic relations that the President be a Naturalized citizen. There is too much risk in handing over the power of a nation to just anyone!
SilverKoneko

Con

SilverKoneko forfeited this round.
MRReadme

Pro

MRReadme forfeited this round.
SilverKoneko

Con

SilverKoneko forfeited this round.
MRReadme

Pro

MRReadme forfeited this round.
SilverKoneko

Con

SilverKoneko forfeited this round.
MRReadme

Pro

MRReadme forfeited this round.
SilverKoneko

Con

SilverKoneko forfeited this round.
MRReadme

Pro

MRReadme forfeited this round.
Posted by Yraelz 4 years ago
Yraelz
SilverKoneko, let me get this straight. You are saying that you are against naturalized citizens for president? You only want people who were born in the U.S. to be eligible for the office?
Posted by silverneccho 4 years ago
silverneccho
I have a viewpoint on this but I am unsure if I feel equipped for a debate.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 4 years ago
Ragnar
SilverKonekoMRReadmeTied
Reasons for voting decision: FAIL DEBATE, as both sides dropped out... (checking the voting period debates, from Least To Most votes. By giving this one, it won't be prioritized in the system anymore.)