Spedman
NPDAgeek

Neo-Atheism is Radical Atheism

Spedman

Pro

I might as well throw this out there since there is no avoiding it. I am a Christian but I consider myself very tolerant of other people's faith and beliefs. Many Atheists have made excellent points on the existence of a higher power, but let me be clear on something. THIS DEBATE IS NOT ABOUT THE EXISTENCE OF A HIGHER POWER!!!!!!!! I want to debate solely on the recent conduct and attitude of Neo-Atheism. A lot of Neo-Atheists will argue that their beliefs are not new in anyway, and in a way they are correct. Neo-Atheists do not believe in the existence of a higher power. However, what is new about their beliefs is that they feel the need to constantly harass and criticize a person with faith or religion. People who were Atheists before Dawkins and Hitchens came along were highly respected especially in the scientific community. They thought less about trying to promote their beliefs and more about continuing the research of their respected fields. They almost never criticized anyone of religion or faith, and if they did talk about faith it was in a respectable conversation-like manner. Then Dawkins and Hitchens came along.
When Dawkins and Hitchens began writing books and novels on arguments against religion a lot of them were best-sellers. This I imagine led to a lot of people siding with Dawkins and Hitchens on their issues. This led to what I believe was a dropping point for Atheism. Dawkins and Hitchens do more than just argue against the existence of a higher power they doing everything in their power to convince people that religion is a bad thing. Dawkins even went so far as to write an entire book saying that religion is the source of all evil in the world. Not only is that completely untrue, but it is completely unfair to people of religious beliefs who have accomplished great things for humanity like Martin Luther King Jr., Mahatma Gandhi, Mother Theresa, etc. I know there has been a lot of cases of bloodshed in history due to people's radical interpretation of their faith. These include the Crusades, the Oklahoma City bombings, the 9/11 attacks, etc. Every group with a certain set of beliefs is guilty of at least one instance of bloodshed and that is mostly due to the people of that group not the belief itself. This goes the same for Atheism as well. I know Neo-Atheists have probably heard this a thousand times, but there have been Atheist leaders who have targeted people in a group with different beliefs. Adolf Hitler, Josef Stalin, Mao Zedong, etc. I am not using this argument to atone for what my faith or any other faith has done in the past, but I am pointing out that Atheism isn't exactly innocent either.
Saying that religion is responsible for the world's problems is the exact same attitude that led to World War II and the Holocaust. I understand Christians tend to criticize other people's faith as well as every other religion, but fighting intolerance with intolerance is futile no matter how hard you try. The reason Neo-Atheism is radical is because they feel the need to harass anyone who has religious beliefs and are constantly trying to find a way to make other belief groups look bad.
NPDAgeek

Con

Correct me if my interpretation is wrong.

My interpretation is that Atheism has evolved to become intolerant and evangelical, or that a majority of Atheists are intolerant/evangelical.

Before you start this debate in the next round, please clarify the resolution, so that we might have a clean debate. :)
Spedman

Pro

My argument is that Atheism is evolving into being intolerant and evangelical. There are still a good number of Atheists who are not like this, but people like Dawkins and Hitchens are quickly changing that. I appreciate you wanting to have a clean debate, thank you.
NPDAgeek

Con

NPDAgeek forfeited this round.
Spedman

Pro

Spedman forfeited this round.
NPDAgeek

Con

NPDAgeek forfeited this round.