Bumpy_Toad
CrucifyTheEgo

Neurodiversity

Bumpy_Toad

Pro

I believe that Autism as well as certain other neurotypes are differences and NOT disorders. I love being who I am, and the fundamental hard-wiring of my brain, which makes me who I am, is Autistic. What it all comes down to is expanding the definition of what it means to be human.

We are happy to be Autistic. We want to be Autistic, and we love being Autistic. We don't want our behaviors modified and "mainstreamed," we don't want to be forced into learning how to be Neurotypical, nor do we want a cure. Nor do we want to be hurt, teased, and bullied. If we choose to be social, we want to be accepted for who we are. We shouldn't have to change just to avoid being bullied. We just want to be ourselves. We want to be free. We want to do as we like, stim, engage in our special interests, and be happy. We want to exist, and we want to act like ourselves as Autistic individuals, without our behaviors being regarded as concerning "symptoms" that must be eliminated or curbed or lessened. We don't want Neurotypicals and psychiatrists to create a need in us for us to want to be "normal," when we were completely satisfied with ourselves before. This is our world too, and we have a right to exist as we are within it.

Autism is a good thing. And if not a good thing, then it is at the very least a neutral thing. It's definitely NOT a tragedy. We have to let it be known that our existence is not a tragedy by doing everything in our power to not be ignored. This has the potential to become a MAJOR civil rights issue. There was black civil rights, women's rights, LGBT rights, and now the Neurodiversity movement, accepting different brains. We are not disordered, we are a different kind of order. This is of MONUMENTAL importance and we can't just let something like this slip by. This civil rights movement must exist. It is a moral imperative to our kind, our neurotype(s).

Some want to "cure" us, and that is eugenics. Eugenocide. Or else they want our behaviors modified to the point where we are indistinguishable from Allistics, meaning non-Autistics. I like my brain as it is, and so do plenty of other Autistics. Neurodiversity movement/Autistic rights movement needs more attention brought to it. It is a movement created BY Autistics, FOR Autistics. Autistic self-advocates and activists work tirelessly for Autism Acceptance. We see Autism as natural variation. There is no "wrong" or "disordered" experience. We are who we are, and we are fine being that way.
CrucifyTheEgo

Con

It seems as if your topic is more like "brain malfunction vs non brain malfuction". Is this true. If it is, I truly wouldn't "want" my brain to be malfunctioned simply to be "different". To me, real "Neurodiversity" is your personality, and how you deal with a malfunction(or even the problems of everyday life).
Bumpy_Toad

Pro

Bumpy_Toad forfeited this round.
CrucifyTheEgo

Con

CrucifyTheEgo forfeited this round.
Bumpy_Toad

Pro

Bumpy_Toad forfeited this round.
CrucifyTheEgo

Con

CrucifyTheEgo forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by Chrysippus 3 years ago
Chrysippus
Bumpy_ToadCrucifyTheEgoTied
Reasons for voting decision: ...A debate is supposed to have arguments, people. There are no arguments here; just flat statements of opinion, unsupported by facts or logic. I refuse to award any points to anyone for this travesty of a debate.