Impact94
Apokiliptik

New Age and Christianity are Compatible Worldviews

Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner

Impact94

Pro

I believe that New Age and Christianity are compatible worldviews. I'm interested in debating Christians or people who are not Christians, although the only requirement for this debate is to have already completed five debates on DDO.

This debate has:
-72 hours to argue.

-8,000 char. total per round.
-Voting system set to "Select Winner" for honestly deciding which side ultimately won, given the subject matter.

First Round
: Acceptance
Second Round: Opening Arguments
Third, Fourth, and Fifth Rounds: Negative Cross Examinations and Rebuttals

Christianity:
Christianity, major religion, stemming from the life, teachings, and death of Jesus of Nazareth (the Christ, or the Anointed One of God) in the 1st century ad. It has become the largest of the world’s religions. Geographically the most widely diffused of all faiths, it has a constituency of more than 2 billion believers. Its largest groups are the Roman Catholic Church, the Eastern Orthodox churches, and the Protestant churches; in addition to these churches there are several independent churches of Eastern Christianity as well as numerous sects throughout the world.
*Christianity as per the writings/teachings in the Bible.

New Age:
New Age movement, movement that spread through the occult and metaphysical religious communities in the 1970s and F2;80s. It looked forward to a “New Age” of love and light and offered a foretaste of the coming era through personal transformation and healing.

(Definitions gathered from the Encyclopaedia Britannica)

Because of the breadth of the New Age movement, this debate will be simplifying the New Age movement into the five following beliefs/practices that an average person adhering to New Age might adhere to:

- Panentheism
- Astrology
- Alchemy
- Jesus was/is a "Risen Master"

- Crystal Healing

For simplicity's sake, beliefs/practices in the New Age movement other than those listed above will not be recognized in this debate. I am willing to edit these five topics if any suggestions for changes are made in the comments section before the debate begins.
Apokiliptik

Con

I accept. Sorry about that. A little behind on things.
Impact94

Pro

Impact94 forfeited this round.
Apokiliptik

Con

Apokiliptik forfeited this round.
Impact94

Pro

Impact94 forfeited this round.
Apokiliptik

Con

Apokiliptik forfeited this round.
Impact94

Pro

Impact94 forfeited this round.
Apokiliptik

Con

You know what, I'm going to go ahead and just jot down a few thoughts. We can always do this debate again and get into more depth if this turns out to be unsatisfying for my opponent and the reader.

I understand the New Age movement as we understand it as being developed by people like Carlos Castaneda; nicknamed the Godfather of New Age. His ideology like the rest of New Ageism is that essentially your thoughts create your reality. To the Yaqui people the dreaming world is just as real as the waking world. The peyote trance is just a real as the ordinary waking world. Everything is made of light and what we see is mere shrouds around that light.

The New Age movement more broadly seems to share allot from ancient Platonism. The material world is a lower more demeaned state of existence and we are to strive to achieve a higher form.

It also seems to have borrowed heavily from occultism. It seems to have a very heavy, take the bull by the horns, feel to it. You are the master of your own fate and destiny.

The Christian faith is radically different from this. To the Christian, like his Jewish cousins, the body is precious and of equal importance to the soul. This is why the Resurrection of our bodies is so important. To be human is to have a body. This is why the ancient Gnostics were rejected by the early church; not so much for their lack of being Christian as their lack of being Jewish.

Unlike the New Age seeker, the Christian is not in an impersonal Universe trying to learn it's laws and secretes in order to ascend to a higher plane. He accepts himself as he is for who he is. By accepting the truth that he is merely a man and fallen into sin and death; he realizes his need for a forgiver (Savior). It is from the inevitable consequences of his sins which have caused his spiritual deadness that he needs saving. His physical death and eternal separation from his source (Creator) are those consequences. The Christian then realizes, having become Born Again, having been made alive that he was created to be in a living relation ship with his ultimate source (Creator). This is not a force, or laws, or levels, but a person with whom to have a relationship with.

New Ageism and Christianity are not compatible because they are radically different ways of seeing your self and the universe. The New Ager sees himself as the center of his universe. He is seeking to reach higher planes of existence. The Christian recognizes God in the person of Jesus Christ as the center of the universe and life is about loving God above all else and loving ones neighbor as much as you love your self. In the New Age it's about progress in Christianity it's about reconciliation. In the New Age it's about knowledge in Christianity it's about relationships. Both have the other things but I'm talking about priorities here.

The New Ager closes his eyes to see what he is trying to find. The Christian opens his eyes wider and wider and sees what he was always trying to find.

1 John 4:20
New American Standard Bible
If someone says, "I love God," and hates his brother, he is a liar; for the one who does not love his brother whom he has seen, cannot love God whom he has not seen.
Romans 1:20
New American Standard Bible
For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse.
Impact94

Pro

Impact94 forfeited this round.
Apokiliptik

Con

Apokiliptik forfeited this round.
Posted by Impact94 2 years ago
Impact94
I've gotta admit though I'm sorely disappointed with how this debate has unfolded.
Posted by Impact94 2 years ago
Impact94
I aplogize, I didn't get to post any arguments yet.
You know what, I don't think this debate is going to work; there's no way a decent debate could be had here given the subject matter and the alotted time frame at this point. If you want Apokiliptik, I can just challenge you to this debate again later when I have the time and we can try this then. Otherwise, I just don't think enough thought could be put into this debate with as many rounds are left.
Posted by Apokiliptik 2 years ago
Apokiliptik
Sorry I screwed up and missed the round too. Well. We're even I guess. Go for it.
Posted by Impact94 2 years ago
Impact94
Sorry I missed the first round - I've been busy with college lately. You can provide your opening arguments in round 1, I'll present mine in round two along with my rebuttals.
Posted by Apokiliptik 2 years ago
Apokiliptik
I was being polite.
Posted by Apokiliptik 2 years ago
Apokiliptik
I was being polite.
Posted by mightbenihilism 2 years ago
mightbenihilism
Apokilipitik, I'm sure if you're 42 you really don't find it confusing.
Posted by Apokiliptik 2 years ago
Apokiliptik
@Mightbenihilism
I find your comment about The Gospel of Thomas confusing. GOT is largely sayings of Jesus and lacks narrative and therefore cannot be a portrayal of Jesus at all.
Posted by mightbenihilism 2 years ago
mightbenihilism
Impact94, have you ever looked into the Gospel of Thomas?

It's a fascinating little book, in my opinion.

I personally think it gives a bit more accurate portrayal of Jesus than the Canonical Gospels, and if it is as accurate as I think it may be then it would show that he taught a similar doctrine to Lao-tzu, Buddha and Shankara (teacher of Monistic Vedanta). The Odes of Solomon are very fascinating to me, too.

Anyway, good luck with your debate.