Spike117
Ariesx

New Imperialism

Ariesx

Spike117

Pro

I believe Neo-imperialism (19th-century imperialism), although having some negative effects, had many good long-term effects. Someone care to give evidence against it?
Ariesx

Con

The USA cannot practice imperialism because it upsets the United Nations. If the USA starts imperialism, the UN can get mad, and we might risk upsetting Europe. Also, we can risk nuclear war. In the Middle East, there are a bunch of religious fanatics with weapons. If they get access to a nuclear weapon, and find out that that the USA is coming. We might risk nuclear war. If humanity is at risk, than we should not do it. This upsets humanity, and upsets the US.
Spike117

Pro

Spike117 forfeited this round.
Ariesx

Con

"It may have many good long-term effects.

Even though my opponent forfeited, it still has lots of good long term effects. Yeah Right.
Spike117

Pro

I'm sorry I forfeited, something big in my life came up. I also was referring to the impact of the imperialism that happened, not if it was executed today. Long term effects- there were many, good and bad. Bad, cultures were damaged, natives were somewhat oppressed, and it caused many wars. Good, however; the overall well being, life expectancy, infant mortality, sickness levels, etc. were curbed quite a bit; schools, hospitals, and other public buildings were made; it opened many trade routes; education and technology improved majorly; tribal violence and supply shortages were stopped; combine all that, the countries were brought up to speed somewhat with the rest of the world. They may have not liked it, but looking now, they are better off.
Ariesx

Con

Ariesx forfeited this round.
Posted by Spike117 2 years ago
Spike117
Oh I've had many debates on it. People I know seem to cringe at the word empire and will give me tons of reasons it was completely and utterly unethical and damaging to the natives and world.
Posted by GoOrDin 2 years ago
GoOrDin
u should not be able to loose this debate. Some good long term effects is a positive claim.
Vote Placed by WillRiley 2 years ago
WillRiley
Spike117AriesxTied
Reasons for voting decision: Ff