esisCOA
Hardcore.Pwnography

New York City Is The Best City In The World

Hardcore.Pwnography

esisCOA

Pro

First round acceptance and parameters only.

Definitions - New York City - The five boros of Manhattan, Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens and Staten Island.

Is - currently speaking

Best - greatest (self explanatory)

City - any MAJOR city or metropolis

The World - Earth.
Hardcore.Pwnography

Con

I accept, but I would like to change the definition of best.

According to thefreedictionary.com, best is: Most satisfactory, suitable, or useful; most desirable
http://www.thefreedictionary.com...

Therefore, Pro must prove why New York City is the best city, according to this definition of best. Please, if you disagree, PM me or comment on this debate. Otherwise, I will assume you agree, as the definition you provided for best is vague.

Furthermore, as the resolution is that New York City is the best city. Therefore, if I am able to find another city that is equal, or just as good as New York City or better, then I have won this debate. Pro must prove that New York City is the best city above all others and equal to none.

I believe that the Burden of Proof is not shared in this debate. Again, PM me or comment if you disagree.
esisCOA

Pro

I am posting this to avoid a forfeit.

NOTE - I have made multiple attempts at making this debate work (via PM and the comments section), but my opponent has not responded to me. This is not my argument for the debate, should my opponent decide he does or does not want to continue this debate it will start next round.
Hardcore.Pwnography

Con

I would like to continue this debate. To be fair, I will not post any arguments this round. Please, Pro, post your arguments in round 3.
esisCOA

Pro

esisCOA forfeited this round.
Hardcore.Pwnography

Con

Pro has forfeited the round. I understand that EsisCOA has deactivated his account, however, that is his choice, and I still wish to debate this resolution, and win, obviously.

I will provide a simple argument to why New York City is not the best city, but rather, all major cities are equal. If EsisCOA decides to log back on, he can refute and present his arguments. Otherwise, I will win this debate.

==============Contention 1==============

What is Best?

One city cannot be the best in every aspect, just like how one person cannot be the best at anything. New York may have, say the best infrastructure, but another city, like Orlando, may have the best tourism attractions.

How do you measure the "bestness" of a city? Every city excels in different aspects, and it is impossible to rank these aspects above another. For example, the NYC and Orlando example. Why should infrastructure be more important than tourism? Why should tourism be more important than infrastructure? These aspects cannot be measured, and as a result, you cannot measure the "bestness" of a city.

Therefore, all major cities are equally good, as they cannot be measured. It is merely a matter of opinion as to which city is better than another.

I will leave the debate with this one argument. I hope EsisCOA decides to log back on.
esisCOA

Pro

esisCOA forfeited this round.
Hardcore.Pwnography

Con

Extending arguments. Looks like Pro isn't going to log back on. :|
esisCOA

Pro

esisCOA forfeited this round.
Hardcore.Pwnography

Con

Well, this turned out to be a bad debate.... Vote Con I guess.
Posted by esisCOA 5 years ago
esisCOA
lol orlando
Posted by 16kadams 5 years ago
16kadams
con technically the bop seems even just find 1 better city. orlando.
Posted by esisCOA 5 years ago
esisCOA
ok hardcore how shall we solve this?
Posted by Hardcore.Pwnography 5 years ago
Hardcore.Pwnography
@InVinoVeritas: you said that my burden to prove that another city is equal to or better than NYC. you said that pro's burden is:to prove that NYC is the best. That is not the same. As pro can't just prove that another city is equal to NYC, as that won't work.
Posted by Chrysippus 5 years ago
Chrysippus
@esisCOA: Work it out here in the comments; you can still have a good debate, if you want. Just roll with it, and don't sweat laying out rules for the debate at this point.
Posted by esisCOA 5 years ago
esisCOA
ok well we clearly have a big gap between how we thought this debate was going to run. shall we just forfeit and get a tie, no harm done?
Posted by InVinoVeritas 5 years ago
InVinoVeritas
The burden on you (to prove that another city is equal to or better than NYC) is equal to that on the opponent (to prove that NYC is the best.)
Hardcore.Pwnography
@esisCOA I was not planning on finding another city and comparing it to New York. I was actually going to try to prove that every other city has the same features that New York has, making it equal to all other cities, not better.

@InVinVeritas What do you mean? The resolution is "New York is the best city in the world". So if I can find a city that is equal to New York, then it is no longer the best and the resolution is false.
Posted by esisCOA 5 years ago
esisCOA
To the con - I do not like your definition of best, and the BoP is to be shared. The way I intended the debate to work is as follows -

my bop is to prove that NYC is the best, your bop is to prove that any other city is the best. You can change the city you argue for in any round except the last round which is for closing arguments only (no rebuttals in any round since both bop's only require you to prove your argument and not disprove the opponents argument). however should you choose to drop a city, you must drop the argument along with it and that argument cannot be used in voting purposes in any way shape or form. You can only choose one city per round should you choose to switch, and you cannot switch back to a dropped city.

the definition of best was made vague deliberately to allow a broader range of arguments based on opinion or fact so the voting would be about who delivered the most convincing arguments as opposed to who delivered the best factual arguments.

I'm sorry for not being able to spell out the debate in round 1, I am very new to this site and am still learning how to do this stuff, however this debate is even and should you choose to accept my challenge I will ask voters to give you the conduct point in every vote for my failure to be as specific as i meant to be. otherwise we should both forfeit all rounds and let it go to tie.
Posted by InVinoVeritas 5 years ago
InVinoVeritas
I think the burden of proof should be equal, due to the subjectivity of the matter.
Vote Placed by PeacefulChaos 5 years ago
PeacefulChaos
esisCOAHardcore.PwnographyTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF, and Con was the only one to produce arguments or sources.
Vote Placed by InVinoVeritas 5 years ago
InVinoVeritas
esisCOAHardcore.PwnographyTied
Reasons for voting decision: forfeit