ILoveyou_Forever26
StrategicPositions

New York Cop Take Down; White Cop Black Man. Cop Getting I'm Trouble.

ILoveyou_Forever26

Con

As most of you have heard about a white police officer taking down a black man. The man was illegally selling cigarettes. The cop went over there and started to talk to him about it, he wanted to search him because he was denying it. The police officer told him to get down, the man refused. The officer told him multiple times that if he refused he'd have to put him in cuffs. Did the guy listen to him? Nope. No he did not. The cop at first peacefully tried to arrest him a few times and he kept resisting and started to get physical even if he wasn't hitting. He made a move, that man was a big guy and the cop not so much, so yes the cop did put him in a chokehold. That's exactly what he was trained to do. For that situation he did nothing wrong. Notice how on he got the guy on the ground he let go of the choke hold yet he still held him down. With the guy saying 'I can't breathe I can't breathe'..most of the time that's just a ploy for the officer to let them go. Or they use it against them. Yes the guy did die and the choke hold may have added a tad bit, but he had quite a bit of drug use added to that.
StrategicPositions

Pro

Well madam, your argument seems "a tad bit" insufficient as you have not stated your sources. http://www.cnn.com... Also, you neglect the fact that there were 5 other officers who were involved in the takedown; and were all pretty "big" as well. Or at least significantly bigger than the officer that performed the chokehold. So the fight was already won from the start. Next selling illegal is a misdemeanor, and it does not necessarily require 5 officers to choke the "accused" and arrest him. And yes I agree that cigarettes harmful, and in know way do I support the spreading of it. But taking such extreme measures to prevent it, is unwise and as proven a gamble. So are you stating that the police are not able to work things out in another way, rather than resorting to violence? Now a kill is a kill no matter what, and here it is the officer wasn't indicted. Reason being.. he kind of choked the guy but the guy already had problems or New-York doesn't have laws against choke-holds??? Think about that for a second.
Now let's flip the situation. If you were selling unregistered cigarettes, for some reason and you were accused of doing so, as a human you have a right to defend yourself; so you refuse to let them check you. And since you did, 5 police officers take you down, choking you, piggy-backriding you, and start pushing your head into the cement which all eventually kills you. Would you want that police officer walking around the streets "protecting" your families??? He killed a man based on a misdemeanor, who was unarmed and not harming anybody. Think if that man was you, or someone you love vey dearly. Well I'd be damned if you feel like it was "right" and that you deserved it, and that the officer is innocent... You see how the POV changes everything?
Any the officer was an important factor in Mr. Garner's death, and like any good law abiding citizen of America, should've been at least sent to court for trial.
ILoveyou_Forever26

Con

ILoveyou_Forever26 forfeited this round.
StrategicPositions

Pro

StrategicPositions forfeited this round.
ILoveyou_Forever26

Con

StrategicPositions

Pro

Posted by ILoveyou_Forever26 2 years ago
ILoveyou_Forever26
@trueseeker My step mom was on the force and a lot of the times the guys say that, they let them up and they either run or put up a physical fight and then run & if you re-watch the video you'll see that the guy started to semi get physical and the cop wasn't sitting directly on him, he was hovering if you took a quick glance you'd think he was sitting on the guy but if you pay attention he's not.
Posted by Mister_Man 2 years ago
Mister_Man
I'm looking to debate a couple people on basically the same topic, and I'm on your side here, so good luck when someone accepts.
Posted by Beyoncebetwice 2 years ago
Beyoncebetwice
In NY, the use of chokeholds by cops is banned. The cop was wrong. All the guy did was break up a fight. The cop had no right to lay a hand on him or arrest him for doing nothing. The cops were wrong. That was essentially murder. It is literally on camera. The cops were wrong in this situation not the man.
Posted by rich123 2 years ago
rich123
The police officer yes was overzealous on subduing him. But he was not complying with the officers request so therefore resisting arrest. Could it of have been avoided of course if the officer was more patient. But cops are trained to ignore I can't breath, aahhh your breaking my arm, my back, my, neck, lick m... sorry about to sing that song. How many people do you think the cops arrest hear those excuses. They are trained to ignore those because majority of the time they are faking it to get a chance to not get arrested. Its just like when your a kid and you get caught stealing or doing something wrong, first words out of your mouth its nope didn't do it. Why did 5 police officer assist in taking the over 6 foot tall 300+ man down??? Did you see the officer on the mans back? He looked like a little kid getting a piggy back ride. Media is hyping it up like he was choking him the entire time and trying to kill him. Sorry but anatomically speaking if I can't breath, no oxygen in the lung I don't think I can clearly say "I can't breath." Also all this is because all you see on tv is white on black crime and the reverse. All you see is black individuals always on tv for wrong doing, crimes, etc. Which is why the black community is always outraged and what the media portrays are blacks are always picked on by the boys in blue and a racial intolerance. The real awkward part is that almost 69.2% of crimes are commited by oh snap WHITE people and 28.4% of crimes are commited by Black people. Big shocker here huh. So I blame the media of always portraying the black community as a target, the bullied, the poor, the uneducated, the underdog, the puppet from a puppeteer. Also blame the lame tards who watch this and take the bait and switch or switch and bait whatever tactic. Use your heads to figure it out not some reporter or people spewing 1 sided not factual statements.
Posted by trueseeker 2 years ago
trueseeker
Just food for thought. What crime did he commit that caused 5 police officers to confront him and then attempt to arrest him? Did he threaten to harm anyone? Did he commit a crime that would require a forced arrest? Maybe the cops thought that he had a deadly weapon on his person. What did he do so horrible that he should be confronted by 5 cops? He was selling loose cigarettes. Please tell me, what is the likelihood that 5 cops would have approached a white man in a white neighborhood if all he was doing was selling loose cigarettes? I agree the man did appear to resist in the beginning. However, when it was clear that the man was effectively subdued and complaining that he could not breath, why didn't the cop leg go of the choke hold and allow the other fully trained police officers to restrain him with handcuffs? These are critical questions that must be addressed before anyone can judge.