Finnianio
Firelife

New Zealand should change their national anthem

Firelife

Finnianio

Pro

After watching the Commonwealth Games and hearing New Zealand's national anthem many times, I realised more and more that it does not reflect our country, mainly in religious ways. Even the title, 'God Defend New Zealand', I believe, does not represent our country properly. Not even 45% of our country is Christian, and this has been decreasing for at least the past 20 years. More than half of our country isn't even religious, so why are there so many references to god in our national anthem? I think it should be changed to something that better reflects who we are as a country. Christians and religious people as a whole are in the minority of the country. If we are to include one minority we must include all of them. Others include Satanists and Jedis. Religion is not forced upon us in this country, but the national anthem is making it seem this way. We have a history and should be proud of it, rather than falling back on god to defend us. I'm not saying that the tune of our anthem is changed, but the lyrics definitely. We are a strong nation and we can defend ourselves, whether god exists or not, although I believe the latter.
Firelife

Con

I accept

The New Zealand anthem has deep roots and meaning and is traditional. It still symbolises New Zealand. As for you christianity part you have to include the amount of religous British people as they also were a factor in the anthem. Changing it may also anger tradtional maoris which is generally a bad idea
Finnianio

Pro

The anthem may be traditional but it should represent our country as we are now. The world has changed, our country has changed and so our anthem should change. It symbolises what NZ used to be, not what we are now. An anthem is something that represents our country and we should keep up with the current times. The anthem was written by an Irish immigrant, someone who wasn't even part of our country. How does that reflect our country? As for the British Christians, yes they were a factor, but again the anthem doesn't reflect our country today and, just like our flag, that means it only reflects our country's invaders, not the original people of this land. It has got a verse in the Maori language, but the Maori have their own gods, and, like I said in my first argument, if we are to include some minorities we must include all of them. And how would it anger traditional Maoris? It was written by someone who wasn't part of this country and does not mention their gods. Wouldn't they want these two things to change? And as for angering them being a bad idea, where is your proof of this? I hear a hint of racism.
Firelife

Con

If I seemed racist sorry but i'm stating that its here to remind us of our past and the battles that happened in order to defend and help NZ. Parts of our anthem are also kind of well known. Also as to your appealing to all people as shown in the line "Men of ev'ry creed and race, Gather here before Thy face," In simple English All men from every creed and race gather here. Even if religion is the slight minority many people are religious enforced by the fact we have a place named Christ-Church. The anthem is still representative in ways about our life. For example the line "God defend our free land" is highlighting the fact that NZ as a nation is free. The anthem isn't outdated most of it is praying for a better land such as lines like "Peace, not war, shall be our boast" its mostly praying that NZ becomes a peaceful plentiful land.
Finnianio

Pro

You say its here to remind us of our past and battles, and maybe it should have some history in it as well as what our country is now. But are there any references to specific wars in our anthem? No. Its filled with all these lyrics that no one even understands and it has old English language. And you say that many people are religious enforced because we have a place named Christchurch but firstly I don't think that would make people religious because we have a place with religious references in its name, and it certainly hasn't influenced me, and secondly, that makes it sound like religion is forced on New Zealanders. We are a free country and religion is not forced on us but our anthem is making it seem that way. Yes I agree with your point that we should highlight the fact that New Zealand is a free country in our anthem, but why can't we remove the word god from this lyric? We are a free country, as I said before and we are allowed to have our own beliefs. And we shouldn't have to pray for a better land, we can make a change ourselves and make a better land.
Firelife

Con

I'm not saying religion is forced i'm stating its popular and part of our history. One could argue that a countries history defines it. For example the american civil war and the war for independence shaped and defined america. Even if we changed it we wouldn't put much on it as our more memorable feats were in the past. And I must re-iterate the lyrics still remain true. Even if its choice to believe the fact is that religion is still big in New Zealand and still plays a part in our current society. Also the anthem isn't hard to read the lyrics are simple and old English isn't hard. In a way our anthem is iconic whenever we are participating in for example something like the rugby world cup people recognize us by things such as our Anthem and our Haka. The Anthem is iconic and therefore should not be changed as for the reasons stated above.
Posted by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
Did pro say New Zealand has jedis?
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
FinnianioFirelifeTied
Reasons for voting decision: con showed more harms than benefits in the change of NZ's national anthem.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
FinnianioFirelifeTied
Reasons for voting decision: Spelling and grammar goes to Pro as Con made a few grammatical errors in his last round. Con wins arguments though as he brought up several times a multitude of examples which swung the debate in his favor. I would have liked to see Pro's statistics backed by sources though.