PowerPikachu21
Strategery

New characters for Smash Bros

Strategery has forfeited round #3.
Started: 6/28/2016 Category: Games

PowerPikachu21

Pro

This is a debate for new characters to add to Super Smash Bros.

Rules:

1. For this debate, characters from a cartoon is allowed.
2. You must give a valid move set for your character (One that's canon to their video game/TV show/movie. So no Teletubbies with rocket launchers).
3. Characters originating from the Internet, or a brand is invalid.
4. Your move set must contain 4 special moves, and a Final Smash.
5. You must also give a reason for why you chose that character.
6. Forfeitng a round will result in a conduct loss. Forfeiting all rounds is an instant defeat. Make sure you're willing to finish this debate.

Voting Rules:

Argument points will be given to whoever had the better character, and the better explanation.

Conduct points will be given to whoever didn't insult their opponent, or forfeited a round (You're not required to give conduct, however).

Spelling & Grammar is self explanatory; whoever's arguments were easier to read (Optional).

My character this time is Phoenix Wright from the Ace Attorney video game series.

Strategery

Con

I choose Buzz Lightyear of Star Command.
PowerPikachu21

Pro

I thank my opponnt for accepting. Now, let's delve into what Phoenix Wright's moves would be.

Argument:

Neutral Special: Objection; Phoenix Wright's signature thing. Using his side special, and over time (1 stage per 10 seconds), charges up Objection, up to 10 stages. At stage 1, it'll only do 5% damage. At each stage, the move's power increases by 2%. At the maximum 10th stage, Phoenix Wright will glow white, letting the player know his Objection is at the maximum stage, and when used, it does 25% damage, and great launch power. Unleashing it will cause an Objection speech bubble to appear in front of him.

Side Special: Evidence Grab; Phoenix Wright catches an incoming projectile. Each projectile will increase Objection by 1 stage. The actual move is half the duration of Villager's Pocket, though. You'll have to time it properly. When Objection is at stage 10, this move fails, with Phoenix letting the player know he has "enough evidence".

Down special: Magatama Reflect; Phoenix Wright uses his Magatama to create a barrier right in front of him that reflects projectiles. Phoenix can still be attacked and grabbed through the shield.

Up Special: Magatama Leap; Phoenix Wright creates a platform underneath him, and jumps up.

Final Smash:

Psyche Lock: Phoenix Wright creates 5 Psyche Locks on the stage. After 5 seconds, the top left lock breaks, dealing 20% damage to players in range. Then, the top right lock breaks, dealing 20%. Then, bottom left, then bottom right, and finally the one in the center, which the center one does 30% in twice the radius, with powerful launch potential.

Why Phoenix?

Phoenix was a character in Ultimate Marvel vs CapCom 3, so he knows how to fight. He was also given a moveset in the fan game Smash Bros Crusade. So why not let him get a fresh start in an official Smash Bros game?

I wonder what my opponent will say when he cross examines my ideas in his round 2...
Strategery

Con

Buzz Lightyear’s special moves set:

Neutral Special: Wrist Laser: Buzz uses the B button to shoot lasers from his wrist. Holding down on the B button further charges the laser to produce a noob tube effect, aka enormous energy blast, similar to Nintendo’s Samus.

Side Special: Karate Chop; Buzz uses the C-Stick to Karate Chop opponents for high damage. This move is modeled off of Roy and Marth’s sword attack, and Lightyear’s karate chop that famously beat back renegade toys in Toy Story 1.

Down special: Force Field; Buzz uses his utility belt to create a Magneto type force field that blocks projectiles. This move is based on the utility belt worn by Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story 2.

Up Special: Rocket Boost; Buzz Lightyear extends his wings and uses his jet pack to temporary extend his jump.

Final Smash:

Infinity & Beyond: Buzz Lightyear uses his wrist communicator to call in star fighters from Star Command. These ships then blast Buzz’s opponents with anti-matter weapons and neutron bombs, sending them into outerspace. Meanwhile the screen goes black and Buzz’s strikes a hero pose in his glow in the dark suit, making him look cool.

Why Buzz Lightyear?

Buzz Lightyear is the super cool, super recognizable main character from Toy Story 1, 2, and 3. He’s world famous, has his own TV shows and games, and is already modeled for 3D. In addition, Buzz can fly, duck, dodge, and dive, can speak Spanish, taunt with Tim Allen’s voice, shoot lasers, and karate chop oppenents for high damage and look cool doing it. The cool factor alone makes Buzz the obvious choice.
PowerPikachu21

Pro

I thank my opponent for posting his argument. Of course, I will be examining it.

Rebuttal:

Buzz's move set;

"Wrist Laser: Buzz uses the B button to shoot lasers from his wrist. Holding down on the B button further charges the laser to produce a noob tube effect, aka enormous energy blast, similar to Nintendo’s Samus." So this move is similar to Samus's Neutral B? Just for clarification, how big is the "noob tube" blast?

"Karate Chop: Buzz uses the C-Stick to Karate Chop opponents for high damage." How high is the damage? Just wanting to clarify.

"Force Field: Buzz uses his utility belt to create a Magneto type force field that blocks projectiles." So he just creates a shield? This requires elaboration. What exactly does the shield do?

"Rocket Boost: Buzz Lightyear extends his wings and uses his jet pack to temporary extend his jump." So this is basically the Rocket Jet item? Just for clarification, how high can the rocket boost go?

"Infinity & Beyond: Buzz Lightyear uses his wrist communicator to call in star fighters from Star Command. These ships then blast Buzz’s opponents with anti-matter weapons and neutron bombs, sending them into outerspace. Meanwhile the screen goes black and Buzz’s strikes a hero pose in his glow in the dark suit, making him look cool." Considering this is a Final Smash, I guess this is alright. But how exactly would this work? Is it like Captain Falcon's Final Smash? Does Star Command just bombard the stage?

Explanation:

"The cool factor alone makes Buzz the obvious choice." So just because he's "cool", he should be in Smash Bros? Well, if that's the case, then... why not everybody else? "Cool" is different for a lot of people. I personally think Phoenix Wright is awesome, and I'm not alone with that opinion.

So yeah. I feel like being "cool" isn't a sufficient reason for Buzz Lightyear specifically. Anyone can say "I want {insert any character} in this game because they're cool/awesome/cute etc." So why Buzz Lightyear specifically? My character has as good of a reason as Con's character has.

Closing Thoughts:

I personally found Con's move set a bit vague. Hopefully my opponent can clarify a bit of things in his next round. Also, his reason is one that anyone could use. But why Buzz Lightyear specifically? I would like Con to answer that question. And he can't respond with "He's cool", since it would be going into a circular argument. So, Why Buzz Lightyear specifically?