New characters for Smash Bros

woohooman has forfeited round #3.
Started: 7/16/2016 Category: Games

This is a debate for new characters to put in the Super Smash Bros franchise.

1) There is a forfeit glitch, so try not to forfeit.
2) No characters that originated from the Internet (No memes, YouTube, or whatever)
3) No characters that originated from a brand (KFC, HEB, Burger King, etc.)
4) Your character must have 4 special moves (Up B, Side B, Neutral B, and Down B), and a Final Smash.
5) You must also list a reason for your character. And saying "he/she's cute/sexy/cool, etc" is insufficient.
6) Characters that have already been in Smash Bros are not allowed, since they've already been there.

My character is Amaterasu from CapCom's Okami. You are free to post your argument Round 1.

Okay, I'll bite.

Okami is not expected to expand as a franchise. Likewise, Nintendo has very little stake in the IP as it is a cross-platform title published by a third-party.
Nintendo will not be promoting its promising IPs (why they included so many Fire Emblem characters), continuing third-party series (Solid Snake, Sonic the Hedgehog) nor would they be drawing attention to an established Nintendo franchise.

Thus, there is little practical reason to include Amaterasu in future games.

I thank woohooman for accepting this debate. I'll go into detail on Amaterasu's move set, and why she should be in Smash Bros.

Move Set:

Amaterasu is the main character from Okami, protecting it from evil demons, using her Celestial Brush. She has many different abilities, so we can give her different moves to customize with, like Palutena does in SSB4.

Move Set 1:

Standard B 1: Power Slash; Amaterasu’s most basic attack. She draws a straight line in front of her. Holding B increases the Power Slash for a maximum of 21% damage. At minimum, it can do 11% damage.

Side B 1: Galestorm; A quick whirlwind that can turn enemies around. It can also reflect projectiles, a lot like Mario’s cape. Hitting an enemy does 2% damage, so it’s mainly a defensive move.

Down B 1: Cherry Bomb; A powerful explosive that deals 28% damage, with great knockback. It’ll detonate either after 6 seconds, or if it touches an enemy. However, after creating a Cherry Bomb, you can’t make another one for 30 seconds.

Up B 1: Water Spout; Amaterasu creates a water spout to carry her vertically. It’s another version of Greninja’s Hydro Pump, but a little bit slower. You can only move up with this move, and it deals 3% damage to enemies that touch it, launching them back a bit. The water spout goes up the height of 2.5 Miis, making it a pretty good recovery move. After the move is done, Amaterasu can’t do anything unless she gets hit, or when she lands.

Move Set 2:

Standard B 2: Snarling Beast; Amaterasu pulls out the Snarling Beast Divine Instrument, and shoots ink bullets straight forward, shooting 4 bullets per second with 1% damage per bullet. The bullets do not make enemies flinch, however.

Side B 2: Inferno; A fiery pillar in front of Amaterasu. This is basically Ness’s PK Fire. It damages enemies for a total of 16% HP, then launching them a fair distance.

Down B 2: Veil of Mist; Amaterasu creates a veil of mist slowing down attackers nearby. This move works very similar to Bayonetta’s Witch Time. If someone is about to land a hit on Amaterasu, she can use Veil of Mist to slow them down to 1/3 their normal speed for up to 10 seconds (slowed down time is dependent on the enemy’s percentage, maximum slow down time at 80% damage). However, this attack has a 0.1 second delay. Also, if used multiple times in a 30 seconds duration, the slow down time will half, and this stacks if you start spamming the move, until the slow down time is 0.125x the original.

Up B 2: Vine; Amaterasu creates a vine going diagonally upward, working like Ivysaur’s Vine Whip in Brawl. It will home in on a solid ledge, and pull Amaterasu towards it. Hitting an enemy with it deals 3% damage, making them flinch.

Move Set 3:

Standard B 3: Hurricane; A fierce hurricane damages enemies. The hurricane is the size of Amaterasu, and travels up to 3 times the length. It can be charged to go farther, coming from a minimum of no movement, but it won’t last as long. It’ll stay alive for 2.7 seconds before vanishing. Hitting an opponent will deal a total of 15% damage, and is nice when edge guarding. However, there’s a 0.2 second delay between charging the move, and unleashing it.

Side B 3: Blizzard; An icy burst that travels horizontally until B is released, or when it reaches its maximum length (about 4x Amaterasu’s length). This works a lot like Zelda’s Din’s Fire, except Blizzard is an ice attack. At minimum, this can do 7% damage. When at its maximum length, it deals 21% damage. This move can freeze enemies; the farther the move travels, the longer the opponent will stay frozen.

Down B 3: Thunderstorm; A lightning strike onto Amaterasu from above. This move is similar to Pikachu’s Thunder. From 5 Miis high, lightning will come down until it hits Amaterasu (Like Pikachu, Amaterasu doesn’t take damage from the strike), creating a powerful burst on Amaterasu. The Lightning itself does 7% damage, but the blast on impact with Amaterasu does 19% damage, with good knockback.

Up B 3: Catwalk; Amaterasu travels a path chosen by the player. Amaterasu will fall more slowly for 1.5 seconds, while the path is being created by the player. After the 1.5 seconds, Amaterasu will follow the path made, ending with a leap in the direction the path ends. This is solely a recovery move, and doesn’t deal any damage.

Final Smash:

Shiranui: Amaterasu reverts to her more powerful version from 100 years ago; Shiranui. For 30 seconds, her attack and launch power is increased by 1.5x, and she doesn't get launched as easily.

Why Amaterasu?

There's hardly any four legged fighters, for starters. Also, Amaterasu has potential to be in Smash Bros. She has many different moves, as you can see. This is what I always want in Smash Bros: characters with potential.

But mainly, I doubt many people know about the Okami games. Super Smash Bros advertises different characters when putting them in. They've got Xenoblade Chronicles, Pac Man, Sonic the Hedgehog, all sorts of fighters. Assist trophies too! When someone does pick up that Smash Bros game, and wonder who this white wolf is, they'll look towards a fantastic video game, and possibly purchase it.

Amaterasu's Celestral Brush:

Snarling Beast:

I'll save rebuttals for round 3. My opponent also needs to choose a character himself.

When someone does pick up that Smash Bros game, and wonder who this white wolf is, they'll look towards a fantastic video game, and possibly purchase it.

As far as I know, they are not pressing new disks of this game or selling then new in retail stores which means that no profit made from sales of this game would go to Nintendo. The company has nothing to gain from people buying copies of Okami.

Anyways, my choice is the Inkling Girl from Splatoon.

Splatoon is one of the highest selling Wii U games and has a lot of franchise potential. It also has strong fan following among Nintendo consumers.

I honestly don't have much investment in the Super Smash Bros. series and there aren't any characters that I like that I could realistically see appearing in the game. As I mentioned in the comments, I misunderstood what this debate was supposed to be. I thought this was an argument for and against Amaterasu.

I guess it'spossible to misinterpret a debate like this, although round 1 said a few times, although not directly, that you'd have to choose a character.

"As far as I know, they are not pressing new disks of this game or selling then new in retail stores which means that no profit made from sales of this game would go to Nintendo. The company has nothing to gain from people buying copies of Okami." You can probably buy Okami (or its DS sequel, Okamiden) online.

Plus, maybe we could get an Okami game for the Wii U? I can at least hope.

True, people did want Splatoon as DLC for Smash Bros Wii U. I concede that it's a reasonable choice... but what would her attacks be, and Final Smash? Looking back at Round 1, Rule #4 says you need to create a moveset.
Posted by PowerPikachu21 3 months ago
It froze. Well then... what now?
Posted by PowerPikachu21 3 months ago
Yeah. But at least post something so the debate doesn't freeze.
Posted by woohooman 3 months ago
Honestly, I forgot all about this debate. Sorry. I really messed this up.
First day on the site. I didn't know what I'm doing. My bad.
Posted by PowerPikachu21 3 months ago
5 hours and 35 minutes remain. I really hope woohooman did research, and is good at making up Smash Bros move sets. I'm pretty sure the characters that are in Smash take a few days to have a move set created.
Posted by PowerPikachu21 3 months ago
I haven't played Splatoon either, and my sister won't let me have her copy of the game until she has a camera for the unboxing. (Also, try to pay more attention to the debates you're about to accept, as to not make any more mistakes)
Posted by woohooman 3 months ago
I'm in hot water: I haven't played Splatoon. I have no idea what the Inkling Girl does or what her skillset would be.
I knew I should have chosen Banjo and Kazooie
Posted by PowerPikachu21 3 months ago
You're supposed to pick a character you would like to be in Smash Bros.
Posted by woohooman 3 months ago
Was I supposed to just throw-out characters that could be in an upcoming game?
That doesn't seem like a debate.
Posted by PowerPikachu21 3 months ago
@HeavenlyPanda I'm assuming you never heard of Super Smash Bros. We're suggesting new characters for the next game in this Fighting video game series. We're not exactly making anything up.
Posted by PointyDelta 3 months ago
damnit i was going to have ice climbers back