PowerPikachu21
retroz

New characters for Super Smash Bros

retroz has forfeited round #2.
Started: 9/3/2016 Category: Games

PowerPikachu21

Pro

It's been a while since I did one of these. This is a debate about whose character is a better candidate for Super Smash Bros.

Rules:

1) You will try to make a serious argument for a character from a TV Show, or a video game.
2) Posting insulting or sexual remarks will count as a loss of conduct.
3) Try to complete the debate. If you forfeit, the other side automatically "wins" (It's not an actual win, because it's a forfeit glitch).
4) No characters that have already appeared in an official Super Smash Bros game. (For example, you can't pick Young Link or Pichu from Melee, no Squirtle or Ivysaur from Brawl, and no Corrin or Bayonetta from Wii U DLC, etc.)
5) You must make a moveset for your character, containing 4 special moves, and a Final Smash.

This time, my chosen character is Espella Cantabella, a main character from Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. My opponent will state their character Round 1, and may choose to post the moveset Round 1 as well. With that, let's go!
retroz

Con

This debate looks like it could be really fun to do, as a fan of the Super Smach Bros. Series, I hope to be a worthy opponent.

Now, I will be arguing to have Aang from the TV series "Avatar: The Last Airbender" as a Super Smash Bros. playable character.

Aang has not appeared as a playable character in any Super Smash Bros. game

In case you don't know who Aang is, (you would be suprised) Aang is the main character in "Avatar: The Last Airbender" a Nickelodeon Animated TV Series. In the series, there are 4 nations Fire, Earth, Water, and Air, with the Fire Nation being extremely hostile. The Avatar (the master of all 4 elements) keeps peace between the nations and after each avatar dies, the next avatar is reincarnated as a member of the next nation. When Fire Nation attacks, the Avatar disappears. As a result fire nation hunts down and kills the entirety of the Air Nomads, of whom the Avatar at the time would've been. Instead they do not find the avatar, in fact nobody does, for 100 years. Main Characters Sokka and Kattara find him a century later, and begin the quest to train Aang (the last airbender) to defeat Fire Nation and restore peace to the world.

My hypothetical moveset and characteristics for Aang

Walking Speed: 1.24, The same as Pikachu

Aang’s relatively high speed, would mean he has weaker attacks, however Aang’s strength would be in the effects his attacks produce, knockback, trip, healing.

Jumps: 2
Wall Jump: No
Wall Cling: Yes
Crawl/Crouch: Yes
Tether: No
Glide: No, however his Up Special will act as a pseudo-gliding move

Neutral Attack: Staff
Aang's Staff attack would be a 3 hit neutral combo attack
First hit would be a left-to-right staff hit dealing 3%
Second Hit would be a right-to-left staff hit dealing another 3%
His third hit would be a downward strike dealing 6%
Total damage dealt 12%
He would not have a consecutive jab
His third neutral attack would not launch

Foward Tilt:
Aang swipes with his staff, angleable

Up Tilt:
Aang swipes his hand over his head, water trailing behind him, damaging all those who hit it

Down Tilt:
Aang pulls a small pillar of earth out of the ground, damaging all those who touch it

Up Smash: Flame Blast
Aang puts his hand over his head producing a pillar of fire above his head dealing major damage
Damage will be similar to Lucario's Up Smash
Uncharged (blast and knockback): 12-29%
Fully Charged (blast and knockback): 20-45%

Down Smash: Shockwave:
Aang uses his Earth Bending abilities to prat fall opponents and damage all of his opponent's on the adjacent squares
Uncharged: 7-17% will not knockdown opponents
Fully Charged: 15-30% will cause prat falling for every opponent affected by the attack

Side Smash: Summon Wave:
Aang summons a wave of water in one direction or the other
Not Chargeable
Damage: 15-25%
Major Knockback

Standard Special: Blast of Wind:
Aang uses a non-damaging, chargeable, blast of wind, to knock back his opponents... Think of it like Squirtle's Water Gun

Up Special/Recovery: Glider:
Aang jumps and opens his glider as a Recovery Move he cannot use aerials in this state but will have great control on horizontal movement in the air. Anybody who touches the glider while it is being used will recieve damage. Think of it almost like Peach's Parasol combined with Meta Knights Shuttle Loop

Down Special: Air Dome
Aang is protected from all range and projectile attacks while inside dome (whcih fully surrounds him) slight healing effect for Aang. Dome shrinks after each use, and for the length of use, shrinkage resets after being KO'd. Dome will not decrease the effectiveness of physical attacks.

Healing: 2% per Second
Shrinkage: 10% of dome per 3 seconds

Side Special: Flaming Hands
Aang thusts both hands forward emitting fire nearby of the attack being used, if the attack lands a direct hit, it will automatically grab target. Not Chargeable

Damage (not including grab): 5-10%

Grabs: Aang will have a 5.3 initial grab range, the same as Zelda form SSBB

Forward Throw: Aang throws then uses a blast of water to send the opponent flying, while dealing 5-11% damage.
Back Throw: Aang blasts his opponent with air to send the opponent flying, while dealing 3-7% damage
Up Throw: Aang throws opponent into the ground, then summons a pillar of earth to send the opponent flying into the sky, while dealing 12-20% damage.
Down Throw: Aang Throws his opponent into the ground the smashes his staff into them, dealing 7-12% damage.

Neutral Aerial: Swipes Forward with his staff, 3% damage
Up Aerial: Shoots a weak blast of Air, speeds up Aang's fall, 2% damage
Down Aerial: Shoots a weak blast of Air, slows Aang's fall, 2% damage
Forward Aerial: Aang hits opponent with a small water blast, slight ranged attack, 4% damage
Back Aerial: Aang flips in mid air and hits opponent with staff, 4% damage.

Ledge Attack: Aang will flip in the air once and bring his staff down on the opponent, dealing 5-9% damage.

Floor Attack: Aang sweeps his staff around hitting nearby opponent's dealing 5% damage.

Final Smash:
Aang's Avatar Form
Aang enters his avatar form for 25 seconds, all of his attacks do maximum damage and knockback, his size increases, and he becomes virtually invincible, he cannot be knocked back, but can receive damage. Extremely similar to Giga Bowser.

Why Aang? Aang’s elemental moves would translate extremely well (and relatively easily) into SSB. Unlike Lucas and Ness, Aang would have control over the basic elements, not thunder or meteors. Aang should also be considered for SSB because of the popularity of the Avatar: The Last Air Bender Series which had a 9.2/10 on IMDB.

PowerPikachu21

Pro

I thank retroz for accepting. I'll start out by stating what Espella's moveset would be.

Move Set:

Neutral B: Ignaize; Espella casts a fire spell that creates a flame pillar in front of her, similar to Ness's PK Fire. It hits multiple times, dealing a total of 13% damage, witht he final hit launching the opponent a bit.

Side B: Familia; Espella summons a shadow familiar to attack, similar to Zelda's Phantom Slash. It can be charged for 5 seconds and automatically activates 1 second after max charge. Uncharged, it does 7% damage, and launched the opponent a bit. Fully charged, it does 17% damage, and has great launching power.

Down B: Fainfol; Espella casts a spell which stuns opponents close to her (1 character length in front and behind Espella). The more damage the opponent has taken, the longer they'll be stunned. At 0%, the opponent will be stunned for half a second (without struggling). At 100%, the stun time is at maximum, at about 5 seconds (with struggling)

Up B: Godor; Espella casts a teleportation spell, which sends her 3/4 of the length of Zelda's teleport. This is strictly a recovery move, and deals no damage.

Final Smash:

Grynwyrm: Espella summons a powerful Fire Dragon, which attacks the whole stage, and does 50% damage, assuming the opponents survive. It can KO Bowser at 40%, so there's that to worry about.

Why Espella?

If you go to Google Images and type "Character requests for Smash Bros", you'll probably see some images containing Professor Layton, so I guess he's popular. But I'm not sure what his moveset would be. A few people have requests Phoenix Wright as well, but making a move set for him can be tough as well (Well, mainly the Up B.) So why go go the middle route, and pick the main character in the crossover; Espella? After living in a world filled with prophecies about witches, why not let Espella fight some actual magic users, like Zelda?

Also, Espella could have a bio mechanic (like Snake's Codex in Brawl), where she talks to Layton about the opponent. It would be interesting to see Espella, Layton, and Luke react to various characters such as Zelda, and Ness (Mainly because they use magic, which they're not too familiar with, since the Labrynthian magic is really just advanced technology.)

So in short, people have requested Layton and Phoenix Wright, so why not Espella, a main character from Layton vs Phoenix Wright?It's not too hard to make a move set for Espella, and we could have her be the bio character.

Cross Examination:

My opponent actually made a full on move set, which I'm surprised he went this far. Anyways, let's cross examine it.

"Side Smash: Summon Wave:
Not Chargeable
Damage: 15-25%
Major Knockback"

Not chargable? But that's the whole point of a Smash Attack, to charge it up to make it more powerful. And how much starting lag and ending lag is there in the Forward/Side Smash? (Starting Lag is the amount of time between you releasing the button, and when it actually executes. Ending lag is the vulernability after doing a Smash Attack. Bowser is a good example of this mechanic)

"Standard Special: Blast of Wind:
Aang uses a non-damaging, chargeable, blast of wind, to knock back his opponents... Think of it like Squirtle's Water Gun"

So you charge it up, and then it releases, right? But it's "Blast of Wind", but "Burst of Water". Is it a narrow projectile stream? Uncharged, does it have low launching power? (I have a grudge against an item in Smash Bros 4, in case you were wondering.)

"Down Special: Air Dome

Healing: 2% per Second
Shrinkage: 10% of dome per 3 seconds"

So what happens when the shield shatters? I'm just curious.

"Final Smash:
Aang's Avatar Form
Aang enters his avatar form for 25 seconds, all of his attacks do maximum damage and knockback, his size increases, and he becomes virtually invincible, he cannot be knocked back, but can receive damage. Extremely similar to Giga Bowser."

How much does Aang grow? Does he reach the size of Giga Bowser? (It's been years since I saw Last Airbender, so I don't know.)

Other than minor flaws and clarity issues, the move set and reason is pretty good.

So what do you think of my move set for Espella?
Posted by PowerPikachu21 8 months ago
PowerPikachu21
Uhh... what?
Posted by retroz 8 months ago
retroz
Power pikachu, I am sorry to say this but I am going to have to forfeit this debate. My internet is getting disconnected and I own a flip phone with no data. I just don't have time for DDO rn. I'm truly sorry because I really wanted to do this debate. I'm sure you won't complain about the win 😀
Posted by PowerPikachu21 8 months ago
PowerPikachu21
I'll let you do your research, retroz. There's plenty of characters to choose from, and I'm sure you'll pick a good candidate for Super Smash Bros. But move sets can be tough to create sometimes, I know.