xXCryptoXx
larztheloser

NiamC's Music Tourney R1

larztheloser
Started: 8/15/2014 Category: Music

xXCryptoXx

Pro

We will be following the rules that NiamC has set out in the OP of this forum: http://www.debate.org...

First round is for acceptance. I post, you post, I post, you post then the voters vote.

larztheloser

Con

I accept. Good luck :)
xXCryptoXx

Pro

This is a song I wrote that I never really got to naming, so I just wrote "untitled" as the song title. I'm not sure whether it will give me any bonus points or anything, but I thought it was worth noting that this is a piece of my own. Please listen to the entire thing; the climax of the piece is at the end.
xXCryptoXx

Pro

Larz, if you recorded your song more than once, then goodness gracious I feel sorry for you if you had to repeat that exact same introduction multiple times haha.
larztheloser

Con

https://www.youtube.com...

I never have the time to record my songs multiple times. Which is why in the last video I accidentally changed the record volume during the non-vocal bit in the middle. Oh, and if you want to see me majorly stuff up my timing in this one and not have time to re-record and correct it (leading to me rather jarringly having to play a note again), I think it's just after the 4 minute mark or so in the video. :)

Also, sorry that the quality of the video isn't that great for me in this round.

Thanks for a fun competition. Just a few quick reminders for voters:
- Vote based on whos piece was performed nicer
- vote based on whos piece sounded nicer.
-Vote based on Technicality used (speed, accents etc)
- Vote based on quality of piece, not video or audio or quality.
-Dont vote against someone because of the length of the piece, if the piece is longer; you should consider this as a quality of the sides playing skills i.e. durability.
- Before voting, do not take the sides playing standard level into consideration.

And also, I mention this in my intro, but leaving feedback would be much appreciated by both of us I'm sure! What you like and don't like, and how you think we can improve.
Posted by PeacefulChaos 3 years ago
PeacefulChaos
Sorry for voting so many times. I was just trying to figure out how to distribute the points, lol.
Posted by PeacefulChaos 3 years ago
PeacefulChaos
Round 2 -

Crypto definitely did great this round. His song really pumps you up and gets you excited. The right hand looked pretty impressive, jumping around as it did, and the left hand had a nice and varied (though somewhat repetitive) chord progression. The only complaint I have is that I personally prefer the sound of a piano to that of electronic keyboards. I believe Crypto's song would've sounded far better on a normal piano than the electronic sounds. It would've sounded cleaner and nicer, while the electronic sounds kind of mesh up the music together. So while Crypto did an excellent job performing and playing, the electronic noises took away from how the song sounded.

Larz, likewise, did an excellent job. His song, unlike Crypto's, was quite relaxed and calming. As I enjoy jazz music and instrumentals, perhaps I am more biased to Larz's song this round. I enjoyed Larz's song more than Crypto's due to how it was presented - on piano sounds as opposed to electronic music, making it clearer and easier to hear.

Conclusion -

I'm going to have to give the win to Larz by 2 points. Crypto did great and he definitely has great skill on the piano, but Larz just had a point advantage in both rounds.

Keep playing music, guys! You both did awesome.
Posted by PeacefulChaos 3 years ago
PeacefulChaos
Round 1 -

Crypto's song was interesting. I liked the juxtaposition between the piano on the left hand side and the electronic keyboard sounds on the right hand. He definitely fleshed out the song nicely, pacing it just right without jumping into anything too suddenly; however, I preferred Larz's song. Crypto's song was quite repetitive, though it did begin to pick up at 1:20 and introduced new chords and notes into the song. The transition also seemed a little unnatural somewhere around 3:00 or 3:00, where he played the same cords and then broke into a somewhat different song. Besides that, I enjoyed his originally composed piece.

Let's look at Larz now. Though his singing could use improvement, I still enjoyed his song. The lyrics were quite interesting and are reflective of his creativity, and the overall topic of the lyrics was intriguing as well (time passing by). Looking at the piano, the song was also not quite as repetitive and there was a variety of chords placed into the song. The tune was also, in my subjective opinion, "catchier" than Crypto's song.
Posted by tulle 3 years ago
tulle
I've only listened to the first round so far but I thought you both did great! @Larz, I loooved the song in your first round, and kept thinking "I wanna sing that for mine" haha
Posted by philochristos 3 years ago
philochristos
I'm surprised y'all haven't got any votes yet. Weren't there people who signed up to be judges?
Posted by larztheloser 3 years ago
larztheloser
Thanks guys! Means a lot to me.

Personally I prefer my opponent's pieces but then I've always been my own worst critic.
Posted by philochristos 3 years ago
philochristos
I'm not going to vote on this because I'm in this tournament, but I thought I'd give y'all some feedback anyway. Over all, my vote would go to Lars. Let me explain my reasons:

Round 1: I really liked both of your pieces, and the fact that you each composed them is pretty impressive. Lars' kind of reminds me of Bob Dylan. He writes these amazing songs, but doesn't sing them that well. Lars was a bit out of tune, but it didn't diminish that much from how great I thought the song was. I just really liked the tune. I liked Crypto's piece, too, but it was a tad bit repetitious. I gave the edge to Lars because there was just more color and personality in his tune, and I just liked it better, which I guess is a subjective thing.

Round 2: Lars had an even bigger edge in this round. The problem with Crypto's piece was that there was so much electronic synthesis that it was hard to tell what Crypto was doing. I wanted to hear Crypto, but I mostly heard what the computer was doing. I think Crypto would've been better off having his keyboard set to piano or something more plain. Again, Lars played a colorful piece with lots of personality, and again, I just liked the tune better.
Posted by xXCryptoXx 3 years ago
xXCryptoXx
I liked your piece Larz :)
Posted by xXCryptoXx 3 years ago
xXCryptoXx
Oops I forgot to do this myself. Larz, would you please copy/paste the voting criteria from the Tournament forum when you post your piece?
Posted by tulle 3 years ago
tulle
Wow, Crypto!
Vote Placed by Defro 3 years ago
Defro
xXCryptoXxlarztheloserTied
Reasons for voting decision: Based on my experience with piano, I felt like the pieces played by both Pro and Con required a similar level of difficulty. However, Con get's the win. Pro's "Untitled" was very repetitive, containing the exact chords. It sounded very similar to the finger exercises I had to do in intermediate piano before every lesson. Although I will admit that towards the middle I quite enjoyed it because it started to have originality. Con's piece sounded great. I really loved the arpeggios in it, which were more creative and spontaneous than Pro's arpeggiated chords. Con also sang while playing, which added more feeling to his piece, not to mention it is very difficult to do.
Vote Placed by RyuuKyuzo 3 years ago
RyuuKyuzo
xXCryptoXxlarztheloserTied
Reasons for voting decision: I can't really fault either side, as both of them performed well, but I really like Pro's 2nd piece. Enough to give him the win. He showed a great deal of technical skill and writing prowess.
Vote Placed by debatability 3 years ago
debatability
xXCryptoXxlarztheloserTied
Reasons for voting decision: First piece: Both peices were very good and very different. I'll evaluate this by how well thought out each piece was and the technique. I think that larz won this round because he had better technique; his song was preformed very well (as was crypto's) but I think larz piece shows off various types of difficult piano techniques that crypto's doesn't. Also, larz's singing is impressive because it is difficult to play a piece with such a level of technique while singing at the same time. Second piece: I think this round, after evaluating the pieces themselves and the technique of the players, is a tie. Both players did equally well and their pieces are both quite impressive. To conclude things, larz gets the win because his first piece was better. Both of you are incredibly talented though; i'm looking forward to the rest of this competition.
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 3 years ago
9spaceking
xXCryptoXxlarztheloserTied
Reasons for voting decision: I felt like XXcryptoXX's songs were much too repetitive, while larz had nice melodies combined with harmonies that were overall much nicer than crypto's. Well done, unofficial beast slayer, you "slayed" yet another "beast"!
Vote Placed by PeacefulChaos 3 years ago
PeacefulChaos
xXCryptoXxlarztheloserTied
Reasons for voting decision: I'll explain the comments. Both sides did an excellent job!