Brennan-Huff
whiteflame

Nihilism is the only rational approach to life.

whiteflame

Brennan-Huff

Pro

I am Pro the notion that a nihilistic approach is the only or most rational approach to the world today. I have come to this conclusion based on the implausibility of a creator and the irrationality of trying to apply morals to an amoral world. To be clear I am arguing that in today's world, morals have no objective ground to stand on, so they should no longer be tried until we have a basis from which to judge them.

Definitions
Nihilistic: rejecting all religious and moral principles in the belief that life is meaningless.
Morals: a person's standards of behavior or beliefs concerning what is and is not acceptable for them to do.
Amoral: lacking a moral sense; unconcerned with the rightness or wrongness of something.

Round 1: Acceptance and why you think I'm wrong.
Round 2: Arguments for/against
Round 3: Refutation of arguments
Round 4: Closing arguments

To be clear round 1 isn't arguments but rather why you've come to believe or do believe that morals are or can be objective, or if it matters, i.e. they stand on their own.

I'm very new to the site and also debating, so take it easy on me. I don't necessarily take the position of nihilistic, but I'm willing to argue for it. If I've made a mistake please feel free to post in the comments, or if you want me to be more clear also ask questions in the comments. Like I said, this is my first real debate as I've just been lurking for the last couple of weeks every now and then.
whiteflame

Con

I'm excited, since this is my first debate on this site! This should be fun, and it's a really intriguing topic, and I very much appreciate Brennan-Huff's invitation.

Now, as per the posted rules, I will not post any arguments here, and instead merely provide my position in these rounds. I'll explain why I hold to them later, as that would be argumentation, but I will explain what that view is.

What I'll be arguing is utilitarianism. The view of nihilism is such that it does not permit normative moral theory because it rejects all of these theories. Utilitarianism is the belief that a morally good action is one that helps the greatest number of people. The basis of utilitarianism, that we should always act in ways that will maximize the total well-being of everyone affected, is an example of an objective moral, though attempts to achieve it are often based on the subjective. I will argue that this moral is not only objective, but rational, and that there is a distinct necessity for morality like this to be recognized in order to drive action.

I hope that makes sense, I'm trying to steer clear of argumentation here, though I might have dipped into it slightly over the course of this explanation.
Brennan-Huff

Pro

Brennan-Huff forfeited this round.
whiteflame

Con

We'll be trying this again later. Hopefully, he'll have more time on the next go-around.
Brennan-Huff

Pro

Speed the forfeit along.....
whiteflame

Con

Moving right along...
Brennan-Huff

Pro

Brennan-Huff forfeited this round.
whiteflame

Con

Alright, stay tuned for our next attempt at this in early January.
Posted by whiteflame 3 years ago
whiteflame
These things happen. Sure, we can certainly reschedule, just remake the debate and send me a challenge when you're available, and I'll repost the same response.
Posted by Brennan-Huff 3 years ago
Brennan-Huff
I'm sincerely sorry but I found out today that I'm going to visit family on Wednesday and won't be home until next Sunday. Can we possibly reschedule this to the 29th or 30th? So sorry.
Posted by TheLastMan 3 years ago
TheLastMan
Oh, sorry for the oversight^^
Posted by whiteflame 3 years ago
whiteflame
I believe I did define it specifically in the debate. Was it not clear?
Posted by TheLastMan 3 years ago
TheLastMan
I am aware that we all know the definition of utilitarianism. Since this debate will most likely be revolving around the term "utilitarianism", you should define utilitarianism in order to avoid any kind of semantics.
Posted by delgadojustin2146 3 years ago
delgadojustin2146
This shows your lack of understanding nihilism. Every time you trust your thoughts or think there is meaning you are being an inconsistent nihilist.
Posted by whiteflame 3 years ago
whiteflame
That's fine. Whenever you get the time.
Posted by Brennan-Huff 3 years ago
Brennan-Huff
I'll most likely post in 12-14 hours.
Posted by whiteflame 3 years ago
whiteflame
Actually, I'm not completely utilitarian in my views, though it's the most directly responsive point among what I could provide from my perspective.
Posted by Brennan-Huff 3 years ago
Brennan-Huff
Two utilitarians debating. It was meant to be.
Vote Placed by Bullish 3 years ago
Bullish
Brennan-HuffwhiteflameTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeits.