fdg
Sweatingjojo

Nintendo VS. Sony- The final decision. My stance- Nitendo owns all.

Started: 6/26/2008 Category: Technology

fdg

Pro

The beginning of this debate will more than likely both begin and end with this statement- "Nintendo is better". Please, if you're a Sony fanboy, don't let the basis of your argument be "buT it haz b3tt3R gr@pHixxorz!!!1!1!!1", because, the only things graphics do are visual. Nintendo owns because contrary to popular belief, it does have Mature games as well as the family-oriented ones. Pushing that aside, I have strong reason to believe that Sony is a thief- It's "revolutionary" Sixaxis. Hmm... Motion sensing... Sounds familiar. In fact, almost IDENTICAL to Nintendo's Wii, whose motion sensing was announced long before Playstation 3. Not only are they thieves, they can't be very smart. Here's the story- In the period between SNES and N64, Nintendo and Sony were *gasp* working together. On a project called Playstation. But then sony broke the deal at the last second. Not only was that stupid, but they just ripped the name from their ex-partners without so much as a "thanks".
Now to prices- Wii- 250$ PS# 600$ (then cut down because of bad sales). That's about it, but before you post, go to nexgenwars.com to look at the stats. Even Xbox is beating PS3... I challenge you to face me in this debate!
Sweatingjojo

Con

Due to the wording of the resolution, if I can prove that Nintendo does not in fact, "Owns all" over Sony then I win. I can do this by showing that Sony actually "Owns all" over Nintendo; that Nintendo is slightly better than sony, but my no means "owns" sony; that sony is slightly better than nintendo, but my no means "owns" nintendo or that both companies can coexist, each with their own strengths and weaknesses.

To start let me introduce myself, My name is Sweatingjojo, and I am a sony fanboy. I've owned a Playstation (1, 2, or 3) for over 2/3rds of my life, and I gotta say I am quite happy.

The fact of the matter is, The Nintendo Wii indisputably is a "family oriented" console, meaning that it is focusing a majority of its resources on producing games that a child can play with his parents and friends. Now I'm not saying that the Wii produces no M rated games, but it is not crazy to say that it is not at all focused on producing adult centered titles. My proof is on the us.wii.com website, out of the 15 games promoted there, not one is rated M, and only 3 could be potentially conceived as "inappropriate for for some kids", Metroid Prime 3, Battalion Wars 2, and SSB:B. Now appropriateness is by no means a measure of how good a game or console that hosts games is, but it shows that in the Wii's case, there is a focus on games for a different audience.
Further proof can be found on the commercial video game website gamespot.com, where, out of 46 games for the Wii that scored atleast an 8.0 (great), only 2 of them were rated M for audiences over 17, Resident Evil 4, and No More Heroes. Meaning only 4% of the great or excellent(9+) games for the Wii are designed for adult audiences.

On the other hand, the Sony Playstation 3 has a broader appeal, which is most recognizable in the games designed for mature players, when compared to the Wii. Out of 8 new releases featured on the PS3 website, 2 of them are rated E or E+10, Topspin 3, and GRID. The remaining games all have violence of some sort, and 2 others could definitely be construed as a game you wouldn't want to play in front of grandma, Battlefield: Bad Company and MGS:4.
Let's visit Gamespot.com again, shall we?
This time, we will look to see the top games of all time for the PS3. Out of 51 games rated with at least an 8.0, 14 of them are rated M, which is 27%. Considering that E, E+10, T, and M are the ratings that are used 98% of the time in all games, I'd say that this is proof that PS3 has games for all audiences, and especially picks up the slack for the Wii in the mature games department.

I am not touting Sony as a particularly revolutionary console company when compared to Nintendo, but I definitely believe that it is evolutionary, meaning that it has been able to take existing concepts, and improve upon it.
The first example is the idea of vibration feedback in the controller. Nintendo released the "rumble pack" before sony released the dualshock controller for the ps1. The rumble pack was the first thing to give back that kind of feedback. However, the Dualshock controller improved upon that idea by having vibration function inherent in the controller, meaning not requiring an add on or batteries, and also having not just violent shaking, but more subtle levels of vibration as well. That was evolution, starting with something, and improving upon it.
Another example is, as you pointed out, motion sensitivity. The wiimote was the first regularly produced game controller to be fully motion sensitive. That's great. The SIXAXIS controller for the PS3, however, improved upon the idea of the motion sensitive controller in 3 ways, first by offering it on a controller that has a more "traditional" design, which allows for the motion sensitivity to be an option in most cases, and not a requirement. The second way is in that it does not require regular battery replacement, but simply to be charged into the ps3 periodically when one is not playing. The third, and most significant evolution is the fact that the Sixaxis controller does not work based on infrared signals (remote control style.) This is majorly important because with the Wiimote, one must stand within a certain area in front of your TV, with no potential obstruction, otherwise your game play will be screwed up. Also, if the receiver placed on the TV is slightly off center, then your positioning will also be off. The Sixaxis controller transmits all of its information regarding its position and movement via bluetooth, which means that no matter where you sit or stand, as long as you're within range of the ps3, (50 feet or so), you're movements of the controller and the buttons you press will be picked up. That is evolution again, starting with a good idea, and making it better.

You're description of the previous partnership between Sony and Nintendo is highly biased, I will quote Wikipedia on what actually happened, and allow the voter to decide.
"According to the book "Game Over", by David Scheff, the first conceptions of the PlayStation date back to 1986. Nintendo had been attempting to work with disc technology since the Famicom, but the medium had problems. Its rewritable magnetic nature could be easily erased (thus leading to a lack of durability), and the discs were a copyright infringement danger. Consequently, when details of CDROM/XA (an extension of the CD-ROM format that combines compressed audio, visual and computer data, allowing all to be accessed simultaneously) came out, Nintendo was interested. CD-ROM/XA was being simultaneously developed by Sony and Phillips. Nintendo approached Sony to develop a CD-ROM add-on, tentatively titled the "SNES-CD". A contract was signed, and work began. Nintendo's choice of Sony was due to a prior dealing: Ken Kutaragi, the person who would later be dubbed "The Father of PlayStation", was the individual who had sold Nintendo on using the Sony SPC-700 processor for use as the eight-channel ADPCM sound synthesis set in the Super Famicom/SNES console through an impressive demonstration of the processor's capabilities.

The SNES-CD was to be announced at the June 1991 Consumer Electronics Show (CES). However, when Hiroshi Yamauchi (owner of Nintendo) read the original 1988 contract between Sony and Nintendo, he realized that the earlier agreement essentially handed Sony complete control over any and all titles written on the SNES CD-ROM format. Yamauchi decided that the contract was totally unacceptable and he secretly canceled all plans for the joint Nintendo-Sony SNES CD attachment. Instead of announcing a partnership between Sony and Nintendo, at 9 a.m. the day of the CES, Nintendo chairman Howard Lincoln stepped onto the stage and revealed that Nintendo was now allied with Philips, and Nintendo was planning on abandoning all the previous work Nintendo and Sony had accomplished. Lincoln and Minoru Arakawa had, unbeknown to Sony, flown to Philips headquarters in Europe and formed an alliance of a decidedly different nature—one that would give Nintendo total control over its licenses on Philips machines

After the collapse of the joint project, Sony considered halting their research, but ultimately the company decided to use what they had developed so far and make it into a complete, stand alone console. As a result, Nintendo filed a lawsuit claiming breach of contract and attempted in U.S. federal court, to obtain an injunction against the release of the PlayStation, on the grounds that Nintendo owned the name. The federal judge presiding over the case denied the injunction and, in October 1991, the first incarnation of the new Sony PlayStation was revealed.

The price difference is because PS3 is a way more powerful machine that can play much more intensive games, and xbox has no part in the debate. I will continue in round two as I am reaching the limit for characters.

btw, are we debating sony v nintendo or ps3 v. wii, I can't tell.
fdg

Pro

fdg forfeited this round.
Sweatingjojo

Con

Well, I honestly don't feel like running around the internetz to make my case if the other person doesn't show up.
I did the same thing to someone else by accident over the weekend, so I guess its just karma.

its a 4 round debate, so maybe the opponent will show up again.

My point is that Nintendo simply doesn't "own" Sony. They both have strong markets and have been able to profitably coexist for 13 years now.
fdg

Pro

fdg forfeited this round.
Sweatingjojo

Con

Well seeing that my opponent hasn't responded again, my arguments must stand.
Thank you all, you have been a Wonderful audience.
fdg

Pro

fdg forfeited this round.
Sweatingjojo

Con

Well,
I guess this is it.

If anyone who sees this would like to challenge me to a real debate on this topic, I'm game.
Posted by Xera 8 years ago
Xera
They all suck until they can come up with durable games.
Posted by Apple 8 years ago
Apple
Nintendo is a classic , but honestly sony is more dedicated to good gaming than nintendo.
Posted by pspboy 8 years ago
pspboy
playstation will kick nintendos a** but microsoft will own them all
Posted by Logical-Master 8 years ago
Logical-Master
FACT: Nintendo > Sony. BELIEVE IT!
Posted by sonofzapp 8 years ago
sonofzapp
I would challenge u 2 dis debate but i cant stamd 4 rounds!
PS3 OWNS!
Vote Placed by Sweatingjojo 8 years ago
Sweatingjojo
fdgSweatingjojoTied
Vote Placed by Riddick 8 years ago
Riddick
fdgSweatingjojoTied
Vote Placed by indianajones644 8 years ago
indianajones644
fdgSweatingjojoTied
Vote Placed by jurist24 8 years ago
jurist24
fdgSweatingjojoTied
Vote Placed by Killer542 8 years ago
Killer542
fdgSweatingjojoTied
Vote Placed by Xera 8 years ago
Xera
fdgSweatingjojoTied
Vote Placed by sdcharger 8 years ago
sdcharger
fdgSweatingjojoTied
Vote Placed by Apple 8 years ago
Apple
fdgSweatingjojoTied
Vote Placed by left_wing_mormon 8 years ago
left_wing_mormon
fdgSweatingjojoTied
Vote Placed by LakevilleNorthJT 8 years ago
LakevilleNorthJT
fdgSweatingjojoTied