ggarbowit
beem0r

Nintendo is the greatest developer in the world

ggarbowit

Pro

When someone first thinks of videogames, they might think of Halo or GTA but what really comes universally to everyones minds is Mario. He has graced nintendo consoles since the 80's and with the release of Super Mario Galaxy, he has shown the world that he is still on top. Sure, Rockstar has made Grand Theft Auto and Bungie made Halo but what other great games have they made? Nintendo has created so many different franchises that are still considered great today. Some examples would be Metroid, Donkey Kong, Super Smash Bros., and of course Zelda. They also have the current slots for the best video games of all time which are generally Zelda Ocarina Of Time and Super Mario Brothers. There has never been a single developer to accomplish so much. Along with this evey single game that nintendo has put out has always been considered very good or great (exception being Mario Party). Nintendo is the pinnacle achievement of the gaming industry.
beem0r

Con

MY opponent argues that Nintendo is the best developer. To substantiate this, he makes arguments about how awesome games that Nintendo publishes are. First, there is a fatal flaw here. As a game publisher, Nintendo does not develop all of its games. It contracts independent, third party, or second party developers for a lot of the games they publish.

From the Wikepedia article on the NES:
"In addition, with the NES, Nintendo introduced a now-standard business model of software licensing for third-party developers."

Also, here is a link to the article on Nintento's Entertainment Analysis and Development:

In it there is a list of games Nintendo actually develops. The list is still pretty extensive, and many of the great games my opponent lists are on the list, but some are not.

Next, I will show you why Nintendo is not the greatest developer in the world. Even if Nintendo is the greatest game software developer in the world, this is no high title. There are many more important types of development. Agricultural development, the development of the third world, technological development, etc.

I would say that it is fairly obvious that the greatest developer in the world is not a video game developer. The most influential developers of the thir world [probably charities of some sort] are far greater than Nintendo. The most influential developers of technology are far greater than Nintendo, and in fact, Nintendo would not be nearly as successful without the much more important technological development of ages past. Nintendo's job is to make us slightly more happy. There are very few people whose lives would be worse if it weren't for Nintendo's game development; the same cannot be said for the development of the third world, agricultural development, or technological development, along with many others I need not bring up.
ggarbowit

Pro

Well, I am not sure how to start this. First off, when I meant developer I meant video game developer. I assumed that everyone would be able to figure that out. Second off, if anybody did check that list, they would see that my argument dosent change a bit. There is a grand total of 70 games fully produced by Nintendo and they are all considered great games. And like I said before, if they had made just Zelda and Mario, they would still be the best because of how much these two franchises have defined modern video gaming. And yet, they have gone far beyond this producing a dizzying number of great games for everyone (hardcore or casual) to enjoy.
beem0r

Con

My opponent seeks to affirm that "Nintendo is the greatest developer in the world." She has consistently, however, only been showing you evidence that Nintendo is the best VIDEO GAME developer in the world.

This is like me taking the best polka band, comparing them with other polka bands, and saying they're the best band in the world.
Or like providing evidence why the Pitbull is the best type of dog, but then trying to say from that that it's the best type of animal.

My opponent may have meant that Nintendo is the best video game developer. That's fine, and she can start a new debate with that resolution. HOWEVER, in this debate, she must affirm that "Nintendo is the greatest developer in the world."

I have provided other types of developers that are inherently greater than video game developers. Saving lives, even a few, is more important than letting people play a few good videogames, especially when there are so many alternatives to choose from in the case of videogames. People helping develop third world countries are greater developers than Nintendo.
Also, many developers of technology are greater than Nintendo. Think of the benefits sciuentific and technological development brings. It makes our standard of living higher, requires us to work less on average, and much of the developmenmt now will allow us to help save the environment while we're at it [more feul efficient cars, alternate energy sources, etc]. And what's the lasting effect of Nintendo? A few hours of enjoyment for people, when they had plenty of other sources of entertainment to choose from anyway. It's plain to see that Nintendo is not the greatest developer in the world, and my opponent has given us no reason to think that they are.

Thus, I must disagree: Nintendo is not the greatest developer in the world.
ggarbowit

Pro

If you are taking this so literally, then I will move my debate somewhere else. But I would like to reaffirm that I meant best video game developer, not any.
beem0r

Con

My opponent reaffirms that he meant Nintendo was the best VIDEO GAME developer. However, this is not what he stated in the resolution. I have successfully negated the resolution, and my opponent has failed to defend it. Great justice demands that you vote CON.
Posted by whitesoxfan450 8 years ago
whitesoxfan450
Good debate!

Also, if any of you wants another gaming debate, come to me, I love game debates!
Posted by whitesoxfan450 8 years ago
whitesoxfan450
Lol, true Pluto, but its ok! As u may know, I'm HUGE on gaming, so i'll talk about this debate in depth.
Pro 1) Good opening, and great start to the debate. ONLY THING, Specify which type of developer. As you see, that created a problem.

Con 1) Good backing evidence. ONLY THING, one, all the games on that list were rated an 8.5 or higher, and 2 the only exception to Nintendo not being first party is Metroid, which is by Retro Studios. BUT, its still a Nintendo exclusive, and first party in a way. Good point on the developer argument.

Pro 2) Good point about the 70 games, that saved you quite a bit, in my opinion. And once again, specify which type of developer. It may seem obvious, but trust me, its not( I lost a round on the same thing)

Con 2) Wow, this debate is turning into a definition debate! Good point on it, but its not that big of a deal. BUT A BIG THING, you dropped the entire actual case. That is a HUGE thing. You're doing well on the idea of the definition, but its not enough to win, DON'T EVER DROP ARGUMENTS IF YOU CAN!!!!! And with a debate this close, it was worth the extra typing to keep it.

Pro 3) Good point, but once again, GO BACK TO THE GAMES!

Con 3) Good point on definition, but once again, GO BACK TO THE GAMES!!
So overall, this debate lost its clash. The Con left out case in his second speech, and that was a huge loss. BUT, its not as big, since Pro did too. This debate, sadly, ended on the definition war. SO, I'll have to give Con that argument, but, Pro wins the game idea.SO, my choice is Pro. I only say this, because Con dropped the case.

Tips: Pro-be more specific in your resolution, don't ever leave out something you said earlier, extend it. Also, use evidence on game reviews, if you can.
Con- DON'T DROP ARGUMENTS, NO MATHER WHAT! Some judges think its ok, but I DON'T! I think its a cheap way out. Keep using evidence, it gave you a good point, but you dropped it. And same as Pro, extend arguments!
Posted by Derek.Gunn 8 years ago
Derek.Gunn
Experience is entirely subjective. Personal tastes cannot be debated.
Posted by Pluto2493 8 years ago
Pluto2493
hmmm... this seems farmiliar...

Whitesoxfan450:

"When you think of games, what do you think of? Master Chief, Sonic the hedgehog, pac-man, and Rayman are answers for some people. However, most people would say "Mario," More people know Mario than Mickey Mouse, and Mario has become a phenomenon. From his 2D games, such as Super Mario World, to his revolutionary 3D platformers, like Super Mario Galaxy, Mario has had some of the greatest games created. But the company behind Mario, Nintendo hasn't just created the Mario masterpiece. They created Zelda, Metroid, Animal Crossing, Star Fox, Kirby, Donkey Kong, the Wii games(Wii fit, wii sports, Wii play, Wii music) And the infamous Super Smash Bros. These series have been some of the most influential series in gaming, and no other developer has come close to the magic of Nintendo..."

Oh yeah.....
Vote Placed by skull95w 7 years ago
skull95w
ggarbowitbeem0rTied
Vote Placed by Logical-Master 7 years ago
Logical-Master
ggarbowitbeem0rTied
Vote Placed by Nox 8 years ago
Nox
ggarbowitbeem0rTied
Vote Placed by GenEd 8 years ago
GenEd
ggarbowitbeem0rTied
Vote Placed by brydabest2008 8 years ago
brydabest2008
ggarbowitbeem0rTied
Vote Placed by zdog234 8 years ago
zdog234
ggarbowitbeem0rTied
Vote Placed by whitesoxfan450 8 years ago
whitesoxfan450
ggarbowitbeem0rTied
Vote Placed by SportsGuru 8 years ago
SportsGuru
ggarbowitbeem0rTied
Vote Placed by gahbage 8 years ago
gahbage
ggarbowitbeem0rTied
Vote Placed by beem0r 8 years ago
beem0r
ggarbowitbeem0rTied