dcarbone7
congresschick

"No Child left Behind" Act be repealed?

dcarbone7

Pro

My argument is that the "No Child Left Behind" Act should be repealed, therefore making the CON argument that the Act should NOT be repealed. 8,000 characters are allowed, but you don't have to use all 8,000. Good Luck to my opponent, have fun!

I believe that the "No Child left Behind" Act should be repealed because I think that is is just an easier way to get children through school without having them actually learn. I think that many kids in school are being taught how to test, not being taught actual criteria. The entire education system (at least in New York) needs to be looked at with a magnifying glass. There are so many children that are falling through the grip of education just so they can be pushed through to the next grade.
While the state believes that they are helping the students by raising their standards, what they often forget is that school should be a place where children want to go, not like they are being forced to go. I think that the education system has changed so much throughout the years, and in many ways, it is unfair to the future of America.
congresschick

Con

I accept, please post your case for round 2 as I presume round 1 to be acceptance round. Thank you :D
dcarbone7

Pro

The argument that is stated is not to question what dumb people and smart people do, but it is to debate why the "No Child Left Behind" Act should be repealed. While you may believe that it is right for children to be push through school being forced to know things that really have no significance to them. While the children throughout the United States are being pushed the education system, it is know making them more knowledgeable, but it is just pushing them through to the next grade whether or not they actually know the information.
What happened to school being a safe-haven or a fun place to be. There are not that many kids out there these days that actually enjoy going to school, and frankly it will probably worsen as time goes on. The amount of information that is being shoved down the children's throat is absurd. Today, it is not a question that teachers are just teaching in order for the student to test well, not on the actual content of the material. If the standards were made higher, the term school will no longer have the worth that it used to have. While I do understand why the government passed this, I still believe it is almost like a guide that is way too universal. Basically, I think it is over-generalized and over emphasized in the respect that the children don't know the meaning of the material, they are just taught to know it. It is like a "one size fits all" guide to how to teach to test.
The education system was doing just fine before this act was put into action, how did the people turn out before it came into play? Just fine… I believe that the states should be able to set standards, but it is the parents/guardian's choice of what they do with it. Being "held back" may be a good thing for some kids because it can then enable them to learn the material better. I also think that every child deserves a quality education and not a test that tells them if they are literate or not. By just teaching the children to test, and not teaching them the material, it is just letting those few children who actually don't know the information slip through the system and not know, but still pushing them up a grade anyway. I think it is a lame excuse to just keep bumping the kids up a grade.
congresschick

Con

I thank my opponent for his side of the debate, now I will proceed to layout my framework and refuting my opponents points as I see fit in my case.
First with definition, as the Pro has not laid out any definition regarding this debate, I believe that the accepted definitions will be from the Con:
No Child Left Behind Act [1]: An act by the American congress focused on the improvement of education nation-wide, it provides schools with many programs that are best listed under the act itself, see [2]
This act affects Title I schools, so schools that has at least 35% of its students coming from low income families. It provides millions in funds to these schools that would otherwise be unable help students struggling in school due to circumstances outside of school. [3]
One of my opponent's points is that "school should be a place where children want to go, not like they are being forced to go" and I actively disagree with this statement, most probably because I'm not really comprehending it. We all know that some students are unwilling to go to school even before the implementation of this act 10 years ago. Most states have their minimum drop out age to be around 16-18 years old anyways, so students are actually forced to be in school until then nevertheless. [4]
My opponent had also stated that "the education system was doing just fine before this act was put into action, how did the people turn out before it came into play? Just fine…". I unfortunately have to prove you wrong solely because before the NCLB act, the U.S's education was a train wreck, leading to the necessity of this act in the first place. [5][6]
I would just like to point out to that most of the pro's argument leans towards unbacked presumptions that the No Child Left Behind Act leads teachers into making unethical decisions. Pro has not met it's Burden of Proof to that the NCLB have failed or have been ineffective in the times that it has been in place. We are simply not debating on the effectiveness of the U.S education system when it comes to testing and how teachers teach students only what is on those tests, but rather the effectiveness and reasons why the NCLB Act should be kept or repealed.
Thank you and debate is now to you dcarbone7 :D

[1] http://www2.ed.gov...
[2] http://www2.ed.gov...
[3] http://www2.ed.gov...
[4] http://en.wikipedia.org...
[5] http://en.wikipedia.org...
[6] http://www.cbsnews.com...
dcarbone7

Pro

While you do post great arguments, I still see it as the government just pushing the kids who don't know the material through the system. In many ways, I think that the system is cheating the kids in the long run, not helping them. The NCLB act is a way to just push the children through the system without having anyone left back, but if the children were left back, perhaps they will actually come out of school with a better education. The Act bombards the teachers and students with standardized testing which makes for the setting to be biased towards the subjects on the test.
While the NCLB act might fund the school districts, most of them are actually underfunded. If the government says it is going to give aid to the lower income areas to help the school, how could they underfund them and still beliebe they are helping the schools? As [1] states very well, "Teachers and parents charge that NCLB encourages, and rewards, teaching children to score well on the test, rather than teaching with a primary goal of learning." That is primarily what I mean when I say that the teachers are teaching the test, not teaching to learn. The effectiveness of the NCLB act is very limited because of the fact that student's test scores and learning abilites are still the same as before, without the pressure on the children and teachers. The NCLB act is, for lack of a better term, putting children and teachers under the gun to force them to do better on the test. Even with the standardized testing, the scores may rise, but that is only because of the emphasis they put on the test. Before, there was no pressure on the test; where as now, all the pressure is on the test and the children are taught to test. [2] Makes a great point while giving a great analogy "Pollsters can't call every voter. Instead, they....." This most nearly means that the test scores that are taken are often swayed. All students are different, and I think that is where the NCLB is also at fault. The NCLB act is a very uniform system which puts all students to the same task, but not every student can handle that task. What the NCLB act leaves out is that every student has a different pace at which they learn at and it often leaves special education out of the loop. The NCLB act places way too much emphasis on the test, but it neglects those who aren't particularly good at testing. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses and they are entitled to learn at their own rate.
Back to you, Con.

[1] http://usliberals.about.com...
[2] http://www.nea.org...
congresschick

Con

congresschick forfeited this round.
dcarbone7

Pro

The NCLB act most definitley places too much emphasis on testing and not enoiugh of actual content of the material. It is not fair to the future of America to be pushed under the rug just because the government feels that this is a better way for people to become more educated. What this is doing is just pushing all of the children who aren't quite understanding the material through to the next grade. It is simply an excuse to get children pushed to the next grade, and calling them 'smarter'. If the system of education does not get altered or rectified, our future of America will slowly become all about testing.
The NCLB act is a one size fits all template that leaves out the special education children and the children with special needs. If these children aren't catered to in their education, how can we expect them to move forward in school. All in all, the NCLB act is a formula for failure because of all of the loopholes it has and all of it's neglect. The act is not helpful to any of the subjects involved... the teachers, students and parents can all potentially suffer from the lack of care that was put into this education system.
congresschick

Con

congresschick forfeited this round.
dcarbone7

Pro

My argument about the No Child Left Behind Act being repealed is rather straight forward. If the children of today are not taught the right way, and if they would actuallylearn in school, rather than just knowing how to take a test, the future will be better off. There are millions of students in our country that are suffering from this ignorance, and it is completely unfair. Before the NCLB act, there were children legitimatley passing through school, and today wehave children taking more standardized tests than ever and they are just being pushed to the next grade no matter how they did on the test. It is too universal and way too overgeneralized. I think that the education system of America needs to be looks at quite a bit for the meer fact that the children of today are the adults that run our country tomorrow. The cirteria of the NCLB act is one that does not cater to the needs of the handicapped or special education students; and as far as the financial aid taht is given to the schools across America, they are being underfunded which is putting them in just as bad a position as before. All around, I believe that the NCLB Act must be altered or repealed due to the failed attempts it has made to "better" the future of America. Just because the children of america are being pushed up a grade every year, doesnt mean their knowledge is being heightened every year, and thats where the main problem lays.
I urge a vote PRO. Thank you congresschick
congresschick

Con

congresschick forfeited this round.
Posted by dcarbone7 5 years ago
dcarbone7
congresschick, please finish this debate with me it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you