No God = No Purpose

Religion for most provides purpose in life. I myself belong to the religion of islam.

There comes a time in a person's life, where they ask the questions; "What is the purpose of life?" or "Why are we here?" You might be amazed to learn, that Islam is providing clear and concise answers for these questions.

Most of those who reflect or think about life in any detail will consider and ponder these questions. There are as many different answers to these questions as there are people asking the questions. Some would hold that the purpose of life was to acquire wealth. Yet suppose they were to acquire millions of dollars, what then would they claim is their purpose after doing so?

If the purpose of life is to become wealthy, there would be no purpose after becoming wealthy.

The fact is that when people approach their purpose here in this life from the aspect of only gaining wealth, after collecting the money they have dreamed of their lives loose purpose and then they live in restless tension suffering from a feeling of worthlessness.

How could wealth then be considered as the aim of life?

Could the acquisition of wealth guarantee happiness? Of course not.
When we hear of millionaires or members of their families committing suicide, how could we consider the purpose of life would be to gain great wealth?

A child of 5 years would obviously prefer a new toy to a deposit slip for a million dollars. A person in their 80s or 90s would never consider holding on to their wealth in place of spending it to hold on to or regain their health.

This proves that money is not the main purpose at all the stages of one's life.

Wealth can do little or nothing to bring happiness to person, it would just make him want more, until there is nothing to want anymore, without true purpose he/she dies. one who is a disbeliever in Almighty God, what he or she would gain in this life would not come with them in the end. They would not even worry about their wealth anymore, but wonder what would become of them and how they would end up.

Wealth and its accumulation as a purpose would be doomed to a temporary success at best and in the end it would only spell out self destruction.

So, what is the use of wealth to a person without belief? He would always fear his end and would always be skeptical of everything and left with nothing. He may gain a great material wealth but he would only lose himself in the end, as he had no true purpose in life......

The True purpose of life is and will always be to worship God and no other but God.

Those who only believe in the material world and who do not believe in a Creator, only believe in sensory data. They say that this universe and everything in it came by itself. All its order is simply due to blind coincidence. They say that man is simply like an animal or a plant and that he will exist for a short period and then end like any other animal or plant. think wouldn't life be such a sick joke then, that we live and die without purpose.

Look how Islam solves the mystery of the puzzle of life. It provides the answers to the questions and concerns of the human beings on all levels and in every aspect. It is really quite simple. The purpose of life as understood by the Believing Muslim can be simply stated in only two words:

'Obey God'

Our only purpose and salvation lie in these two words.

I thank my opponent and the audience for the debate.

The resolution of this debate is simple. The affirmative must argue that an absence of God in one's life ultimately means that one does not have a purpose. The negative must refute the affirmative.

Now, I personally do not feel the need to define God, purpose, etc. My opponent has made it pretty clear that he does not care too much for definitions and would rather argue based on belief alone. I shall ask no questions. The guidelines of this debate are clear as well.

Instead of refuting every little quote made by my opponent, I shall outline the one gargantuan fallacy my opponent has centered the argument upon.

Let's say one's purpose in life is to become wealthy. After one has accumulated this wealth, who is to say that he has no purpose after that? Ever heard of philanthropy? One's purpose could easily be to generate monetary wealth, and after this achievement, spend the rest of life's duration in donating and volunteering in various fields of interest.

What if one's purpose in life is to reject God? All one wants to do is ignore any concept of God or religion for an entire lifespan. This is still a purpose that exists without God.

What is the meaning of life? What is our purpose? These questions are completely subjective; consequently, they are up to the individual.

A scientist has a purpose of discovering a certain medical cure. This is not his only purpose in life. He wants to be a committed father, a loving husband, and a well-disciplined son. He may not achieve success in the occupational world, but he still succeeds in his familial duties. He has never believed in God, and never will. How can we say that he has no purpose in life?

Let's say the same scientist is able to discover a medical cure. Great! He has served an even higher purpose in society! Maybe after this scientific advancement, other cures can be discovered as well. Manifold purposes!

Long-term goals and short-term goals also come into play. Humans usually never have one sole purpose on this earth.

If we are talking about life-long purposes, which I believe you are, I have already refuted your points.

Why do you need a God to give you a purpose? Our life has purpose and meaning because it is our duty to praise God? Must we praise our parents since they are our Creators as well? What if I have neither a mother nor father in this world; they both died while I was an infant. I never have foster parents because I am stuck in an orphanage. Must I have no purpose because I have no parents to honor or people to care for? On the contrary, my darling. I will define my own purpose in life. I can make my own purpose of doing nothing in this world. I can make my own purpose of becoming a super-star athlete. Even if these "purposes" and goals are not met, it still does not mean that I have failed in my purpose. One purpose is merely the tree that branches off into plausibly thousands of other meanings.

What about all of the atheists on this site? They have no purpose? Think of this selfishly. They have the purpose of sharpening your mind, making you challenge your beliefs, and strengthening your own spirituality.

It's all based on how you look at it.

I have successfully refuted my opponent.

First of all, I would like to say, that you present a great argument. However your arguments are based on individual's purpose in earthly matter. You have to realize that live is only temporarily and that we don't remain on this earth for the rest of time. I understand how you said that a scientist purpose in life on earth is to research and discover medical cures, or a philanthropist would help the poor and the needy, and that a father would raise his kids. But these purposes are for individuals in their lives and don't exceed that. However the scientist, the philanthropist and the father all together have a greater purpose for living than their jobs and responsibility. One that is bigger and exceeds a temporal life on earth. What I am trying to say is that each and every person in society has their own purpose for doing what they do, not necessarily for living, and it doesn't exceed the temporal life on earth. However humanity as whole has a greater purpose, one which is superior and one which provides a reason for us being here in the first place. Why would we live and die without a reason behind this all? To think that live just came about in chance would be illogical. That we live and die and that is it, I feel that is very ignorant and closed minded to the truth, that there has to be a creator of a creation. That which is god. How can man not realize his true purpose in live when there is so much evidence to present it? The atheist may say ‘'well there is no god', or simple not care about god, since he can't see him or feel him, worrying about the afterlife seems stupid to him or it simple doesn't fit in his lifestyle. I think it all comes down to first believing there is a god, then one truly has to realize live isn't just living and dying. One will realize there is a reason for why humanity was created in the first place.

The Quran present very clear evidence on all aspects of life. 1,000 or more verses relate to man and his surroundings, and it's one miraculous aspect of the Quran. This is because the Quran was revealed more than 14 Centuries ago, with many of the scientific facts, at a time when people had no knowledge whatsoever of such facts. I have chosen two verses that can testify to the miraculous nature of the Quran from a scientific point of view.

The creation of the universe is explained by astrophysicists in a widely accepted phenomenon, popularly known as the "Big Bang." The Quran contains the following verse, regarding the origin of the universe: Have those who disbelieved not considered that the heavens and the earth were (once) a joined entity, and then we separated them and made from water every living thing? Then will they not believe? (Quran, 21:30)

Scientists say that before the galaxies in the universe were formed, celestial matter was initially in the form of gaseous matter. In short, huge gaseous matter or clouds were present before the formation of the galaxies. To describe initial celestial matter, the word "smoke" is more appropriate than gas. The following Quranic verse refers to this state of the universe by the word dukhan which means smoke:Then He turned to the heaven when it was smoke... (Quran, 41:11)

Again, this fact is a corollary to the "Big Bang" and was not known to mankind during the time of the Prophet Muhammad. What then, could have been the source of this knowledge?
God and no one but God. The reason god created man, it that man be his trustee on earth (Quran 2:30). Mankind's basic trust, our responsibility, is to believe in and worship Allah: And I did not create the Jinn and mankind except to worship me. (Quran, 51:56-58)

As harsh as it may sound, life without the believe in god has no purpose at all. And there are very clear evidence stating the existence of god. Without all this, we only have our little purposes which don't exceed this life on earth.
So what is the point of living then, if it just ends without ever having a purpose for it starting.

Unfortunately, my opponent has made it almost impossible for himself to win.

He must prove that a God does definitively exist, that this God has a purpose for us, and that we are aware that we have an obligation to His allotted purposes.

All of the evidence my opponent has presented to the existence of a God is completely circumstantial and speculative at best. He has brought the burden solely on himself to prove what I have mentioned above in order to win the debate.

Well, my arguments still stand. While life may be temporal on this Earth, who is to say that we "go" anywhere after death? Most of my opponent's refutations are assertions based on belief and no true "evidence."

I feel no need to rebut when my opponent has not substantiated the resolution and must create more definitive argumentation.

I thank my opponent and the audience for the debate thus far.

Firstly let me just say that you are asking me the questions, I have already clearly explained in my last argument. I have already provided you with scientific knowledge from the Quran that wasn't know at the time it was revealed by Prophet Muhammad, plus Muhammad at the time was illiterate. Then who could probably provide that knowledge? Knowledge that is only recently discovered by scientist. Think and let your mind ponder on that.

Secondly you said: ‘' While life may be temporal on this Earth, who is to say that we "go" anywhere after death?' This is exactly what proves my argument and why my debate started. The concept of no god which you clearly illustrate in your questions provides life for humanity with no purpose. You said ‘'who is to say that we "go" anywhere after death?' My question still stands, then why did we come here in the first place? Just sit and think about it, you really think we came here by chance, and that we leave here with no purpose, no reason and no cause at all, with nothing. Would you not say that life is just then a sick joke, that we have nothing more than temporal time on earth? If yes, then my arguments is right, proving that without god, we have no purpose, no reason for being or dying.

And I know that you will say we came here as explained in the big bang theory, that life was by chance and that there is no god at all. But it says in the Quran: ‘'O mankind! Be careful of your duty to your Lord Who created you from a single soul and from it created its mate and from them has spread a multitude of men and women' (04:01). This verse tells us that the beginning of life was a single soul, and then its mate came out of it. Biological science tells us that the earliest form of life was represented by single cell organisms found in water, and then these multiplied by splitting themselves. With the course of time, reproduction started to be by mating pairs, instead of the archaic forms of splitting or dividing. Now again who provided us with such scientific information, at a time it wasn't known. And if you think it was added on by people of these days. Then let me tell you do some research, don't take my word for it. You will find that the Quran is unchanged from the day it was revealed.

If you still think god doesn't exist then let me ask you this, if there is no god then who keeps the world in order. If there is no creator, no god then why is it that everything is in order. It is a fact that every object and every phenomenon in the universe is governed by certain laws. It may be the case that science has not discovered so far all the laws that govern everything but there is nothing that does not follow a law. If this is the truth, then who is controlling it?

In the Quran it says: ‘'they do not have any choice. The Sun does not have any choice to change its course. The stars do not have any choice to move to any position other that the ordained, and so on. All are whole-heartedly obedient to Allah's commands' [2:116]. This shows that all things submit to the will of god. Without god it wouldn't be in order.

And also as you claim, if humanity has no purpose for existing, then how come everything else seems to. All things seem to be catering to the needs of humanity. From plants, insects, animals and all things we see are here with a purpose- to serve us. How?

Firstly Human beings are at the top of the food chain. Plants, insects, and animals offer energy flow from the sun to us for our survival and provide a balance in the ecosystem. For instance, we drink milk; eat chicken, lamb and beef.
Secondly Animals such as horses, provide transportation for humans. Thirdly we use their skin for clothing. Lastly the clouds provide rain for us so that we can grow our own food and the sun is at the right distance away from earth, so we are able to live on it. God created everyone and everything to submit to him. And that is the purpose for all things, even we humans. Just think about

studentathletechristian8 forfeited this round.

My argument may sound a bit harsh, but it's the truth that life without believe in god has no purpose at all. We would only have our temporarily life on earth. We would be born, eventually grow up, then work till retirement age and die. And whatever we had done in live which was either good or bad, would leave us, without ever being recompensed for what we done. So what is the point of humanity being here then, if our lives just end without ever having a purpose for it starting?

This feeling of doubt and confusion about the presence of a Creator and whether He sent messengers and prophets to guide mankind must be quite painful because it deprives the Atheist and the Agnostic of tranquillity, security and peace of mind. The unbelievers do not have credible answers to the purpose of one's existence. And thus they say that man lives for himself and for the pleasures of this life. So what happens when life turns sour? What happens when one goes through hardships? It is no coincidence then that the largest number of suicides takes place amongst Atheists, Agnostics and people who do not know their purpose in life.

As can you can see from my last argument I have mentioned that it couldn't have been anyone but God who created everything and ‘'gave it guidance' to the way it should follow. This idea of everything ‘'submitting to god', gives a reason to why things exist in the first place. You look at the earth, the sun, the animals and water and see how it caters us human beings. Why? Have you ever asked yourselves the question, why do we live in such a perfect planet, were we human's are able to habit it? A planet that doesn't lose its course on the way it runs, from day to night, from winter to summer. Who is control of this and is making sure these things happen at specific times? Who and Why? These are the questions you need to ask yourselves.

Here I would like to mention a few verses from the Holy Quran that address this subject. God mentions to us in the Holy Quran, "And to God belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth, and God is over all things competent. Indeed, in the creation of the heavens and the earth and the alternation of the night and the day are signs for those of understanding-Who remember God while standing or sitting or [lying] on their sides and give thought to the creation of the heavens and the earth, [saying], "Our Lord, You did not create this aimlessly; exalted are You [above such a thing]; then protect us from the punishment of the Fire."

Now here in these verses, God draws our attention to the creation of the heavens and earth, the alternation of the night and the day, the creation of the universe. HE calls our attention to their creation and their precision, and mentions those who contemplate the wonders of creation and realize that this was not created for any foolish purpose, [that God is exalted above doing such a thing] and they seek refuge with God from the punishment of Hell. Truly, when you see the design of all that is created, you realize it is very powerful and very precise. Something very powerful and very precise; something beyond your own calculation and imagination, cannot be foolish. Cannot be by chance or created for nothing.

When you see a bridge, a building or an automobile, you automatically consider the person or company that constructed it. You know by its design who the maker is. When you see a super international airport, nuclear plant you have to be thoroughly impressed with the engineering dynamics that are involved. Yet, these are just things that are manufactured by human beings. So what about the human body with its massive and intricate control systems? Think about it.

Those who are in search of truth, having open minds and hearts will recognize this as a message in truth and sincerity. Open your heart and your mind now and ask yourself the question on your existence, and search for the truth And hopefully you will also realize the purpose for you

Posted by KU93 5 years ago
i couldn't add my final bit. due to the characters running out but i hope this could be class as part of my argument

- In conclusion Our purpose in this life is to recognize The Creator, to be grateful to Him, to worship Him, to surrender ourselves to Him and to obey the laws that He has determined for us. It means worship is our purpose in life. Whatever we do in the course of that worship, [i.e., the eating, the sleeping, the dressing, the working, the enjoying,] between birth and death is consequential and subject to His orders. But the main reason for our creation is worship. I don't think anyone who is analytical or scientific will have much of an argument with that purpose. They may have some other reason with themselves-but that is something they have to deal with between themselves and Almighty God.
Posted by studentathletechristian8 5 years ago
I apologize. I had my wisdom teeth pulled on Friday, and I'm trying to catch up with homework. I'd really like to finish my argumentation in the fourth round. I am sorry.
Posted by MrMe 5 years ago
KU93, you make some great arguments. even though it does sound harsh you are kind of speaking the truth evryone is afraid to hear. and as an agnostic i never knew anything about the scientific facts within the quran, really suprised me and challenged me to think. i really like how you present your argument and speak about how evrything in life has a purpose and is kept in order by a higher power and that animals and things around us have a purpose to cater for our need.

I like your argument, makes allot of sense. it really made me think. keep it up its an intresting debate.
Posted by Shtookah 5 years ago
Hey Pro your pic reminds me of romanticism. Kinda tying into this debate I guess, but uh kinda harsh don't ya think.. "No God = No purpose"
Vote Placed by m93samman 5 years ago