BonoboMoon
1Samuel15-3

No God

BonoboMoon

Pro

There is no god.

We can only observe a small fraction of the phenomenal forces that are interacting in our scope of existence.

The Vedas (dating 5,000 BC or earlier) contain the story of a cosmic man who sacrificed himself so all other life could continue to live. I believe these myths to be fiction.
I believe this story plays an important role in the development of worldly religions from these past 4,000 years.

As time passes and we observe things more closely, we start to realize that some of these divine moments have very basic earth sciences behind them. (hurricanes, tornadoes, volcanoes, etc..)

We are at a time in history where the world's major religions are really trying to stay relevant and maintain their importance. They are losing their footing and becoming ungrounded as their mysticism is exposed and their ritualistic practices are being replaced by more efficient practices.

Here's the main debate against Abrahamic religions (mainly Judaism, Christianity, and Islam)
Is it more reasonable to believe that we live inside a naturally existing system, or is it more reasonable to believe that we live inside a world created for us by an omnipotent deity?
1Samuel15-3

Con

Hello,

Let me start off by saying that yes, I am a theist, a Christian in particular. However, I am a progressive Christian and see large problems with traditional Christianity. That being said, I would like to rebut a few points from my opponent.

"The Vedas (dating 5,000 BC or earlier) contain the story of a cosmic man who sacrificed himself so all other life could continue to live. I believe these myths to be fiction.
I believe this story plays an important role in the development of worldly religions from these past 4,000 years."
I would like to see an outline of this to see how exactly the religious story spread. There are dozens of flood stories around the world. This does not mean that there was a worldwide flood as a fundamentalist would say. This simply means human beings all have similar feelings and experiences that come out in similar tales.

It is also notable that the dozens of so-called "Messiahs" or "Christfigures" predating Jesus are accurately portrayed, but made up in an attempt to delegitimize Christianity and Jesus.

"As time passes and we observe things more closely, we start to realize that some of these divine moments have very basic earth sciences behind them. (hurricanes, tornadoes, volcanoes, etc..)"

Yes, this is true. We no longer believe that God has "storehouses of snow" in the sky. However, it does not mean that simply because we do not see a direct influence by God on a daily basis that He does not exist.

"Is it more reasonable to believe that we live inside a naturally existing system, or is it more reasonable to believe that we live inside a world created for us by an omnipotent deity?"
Why not have both? Is it so difficult to believe that a God would create a universe and let it go, dipping its course to the right or let as it flows and ebbs like a river?

I believe God exists for several reasons:

1. The Resurrection of Jesus Christ

2. Morality

3. Evolving God

All these of these will be laid out in length in later rounds.

~All the Best~
BonoboMoon

Pro

BonoboMoon forfeited this round.
1Samuel15-3

Con

1Samuel15-3 forfeited this round.
BonoboMoon

Pro

BonoboMoon forfeited this round.
1Samuel15-3

Con

1Samuel15-3 forfeited this round.
BonoboMoon

Pro

BonoboMoon forfeited this round.
1Samuel15-3

Con

1Samuel15-3 forfeited this round.