akaCarlita8484
alden9590

No More Abstinence-only programs in high schools.

akaCarlita8484

akaCarlita8484

Pro

As of right now, teen pregnancies are the " death" of our teen girls. The numbers and statistics speak for themselves.
* The U.S. has the highest teen pregnancy rate.
* 80% of the teen girls end up on govt aid and welfare.
* U.S. Spends 7 billion dollars a year due to teen preg.
* By age 30 1.5% have a college degree.........
* 820,000 teens become pregnant.

I say "death" because these girls don't have chance at living a successful life and if they do it does not come easy!!! A recent article in the New York Times reported 13 schools in NY, not only promote contraception, but they offer contraception's as well. The state of NY has successfully dropped it's pregnancy and std rate. So lets look at a state whose primary sex education is an Abstinence-Only program. Mississippi's teen pregnancy rate is the highest in the US. Miss teaches Abstinence-only programs or they teach sex education and speak about pregnancy awareness. In fact, the states in the US that teach Abstinence-only programs have the highest teen pregnancy rates in the US. Since the beginning of time young girls have been having sex its NO secret. The problem is that parents, as well as some educators seem be in denial, or just plain crazy to assume teenagers aren't engaging in some sort of sexual activity. The biggest influence in a teenage girl's life are: her peers, and media. Media does a fine job in promoting sexual activity, good looks, sexy clothes, pregnancy shows on MTV, and lets not forget the biggest influence in the media which is Face book. I went to a high school to get a teens' perspective and just as I thought the phones, ipods, computers, electronic devices are allowed in class, and they are generally online during class rather than listening to the teacher. The kids were not only sexually active and begun at an early age, but one of the girls was not any kind of birth control, nor was she aware of plan parenthood. I asked this girl if her mother knew about her activity? Sadly, like many mothers; yes she knew, and now she just forbid it (as if it weren't forbidden BEFORE her mom found out). Did the girl stop having sex just because her mom forbid it? .... NO. I asked her about the heath dept and seeing plan parenthood for some birth control? She looked at me and said "what's that?" ....... We need to open our eyes and realize these girls and guys are having sex and they deserve the knowledge and power to protect themselves.
alden9590

Con

Our society needs school systems to teach minors of all ages about abstinence. Teen pregnencys are what is helping the crash of the United States because if we are bringing more people into this world, we have to make more jobs and to make more jobs we need money which we don't have. Families are being kicked on the streets because they don't have enough money to support the baby that their daughter had because the father left and is supposed to be supporting the baby and the mother of it.
akaCarlita8484

Pro

NO our society needs school systems to open their eyes. It is the parents responsibility to teach their child about abstinence and if that step gets skipped, schools are next in line to teach and protect our youth. After all. today's youth is the future of America. The state that has the highest teen pregnancy rate also happens to be the state that primarily teaches sex education under the "Abstinence-only" program. Parents that do not want their children attending classes to better educate them on unwanted pregnancies, stds, and contraceptives, should have to choice to "opt-out" meaning they do not want their child attending this class. However in states like NY, that allow birth control, saw an amazing downfall in teen pregnancies and stds. Also the reason single teen-moms struggle is simply the fact they are too young to be having a family. The mother and father are young, uneducated, irresponsible, and immature. The teen mother and father often get pregnant by accident. So, why some girls and not the others? Because for whatever reasons, be it : money, parental issues, fear, lack of insurance, or just plain ignorance these girls weren't on birth control and having unprotected sex which is unacceptable considering the facts. Teens are having sex!!!!!
alden9590

Con

Abstinence from sex is the only form of pregnancy prevention that is 100% effective. Every method of contraception has a risk of failure however small, but a teen who practices abstinence will never become pregnant. Teens who abstain from sexual activity also avoid the risk of sexually transmitted diseases (STDs). Teens who practice abstinence are much less likely to experience a physically or emotionally abusive relationship, drop out of high school, engage in substance abuse, or feel pressured into having sex -- all risk factors for teens who explore and become sexually active at an early age.
akaCarlita8484

Pro

Well.... as I stated earlier TEENS ARE HAVING SEX not practicing abstinence, and those who are abstinent have high religion and family values, which is rare among today's teens. 95% of Americans have sex before they are married. I mean C'mon the numbers speak for themselves only 5% of Americans practice abstinence, so for the better of America's future its best we help not hurt the future.
alden9590

Con

Just because teens aren't practising abstinence doesn't mean that it is not an option for them if they may want to make a change. If the public schools didn't teach people about it who would. That last 5% of people would vanish from the abstinence statistics. obviously some people want to learn about it, so why not see if more people would also?
Posted by UltimateSkeptic 4 years ago
UltimateSkeptic
Abstinence is the only way to prevent pregnancy. However, teaching, "Abstinence from sex is the only form of pregnancy prevention that is 100% effective," is to be ignorant to the human condition.
Posted by akaCarlita8484 4 years ago
akaCarlita8484
Sorry this was my first time posting a debate!! I was doing a research paper for school, and it's funny I cited all of my sources for my paper. I did this debate for my research paper, and it's pretty ironic I failed to cite my sources. My English teacher wouldn't be happily!
Vote Placed by DeFool 4 years ago
DeFool
akaCarlita8484alden9590Tied
Reasons for voting decision: The argument that, "Abstinence from sex is the only form of pregnancy prevention that is 100% effective" is so untrue that I found myself glad that it was pointed out to have a 95% failure rate, far higher than the failure rate of condoms. Sourcing would have helped this debate quite a bit, but was sadly missing. The main argument that I saw was that the failure of states that have adopted abstinence-only programs to slow or reduce the number of teen pregnancies should be considered evidence that such programs do not work. This was convincing, but - without evidence - cannot be used as a talking point outside of this contest. Luckily for Pro, sources were not needed for a scoring win.
Vote Placed by darkcity 4 years ago
darkcity
akaCarlita8484alden9590Tied
Reasons for voting decision: neither side used source, so neither argument was especially convincing. However, Con never explained why Abstinence wouldn't led o more pregnancies.
Vote Placed by Milliarde 4 years ago
Milliarde
akaCarlita8484alden9590Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Neither Pro nor Con used sources. As such, it is impossible to know what statistics given are correct. Otherwise, both sides gave valid arguments, even though it's tough to determine who won since no sources were given. Con's arguments were a bit easier to read in my opinion, thus points for S&G.