Whistle
mrdutch

No School on Festivus

Whistle has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 1 month ago Status: Debating Period

Whistle

Pro

Some would call it a Festivus Miracle. Twenty years after the TV sitcom Seinfeld introduced Festivus to the world most schools in the diverse and progressive cities will not require kids to attend school on Festivus.

Those observing Festivus are expected to participate in "Feats of Strength," and an "Airing of Grievances," on Festivus itself. A more passive form part of Festivus is the "Festivus Pole," Which is a simple aluminum pole secured vertically.

In the days leading up to Festivus kids can make their own pole using aluminum foil and write down their grievances about the everything wrong with the previous year.

Festivus brings families together for a non-commercial evening that will be cherished in the memories for decades to come. I hope everybody with kids refrains from sending their kids to school on Festivus this year.
mrdutch

Con

First of all let me say that I am a big fan of both Jerry Seinfeld.
I think that on the show, in the Costanza household, Festivus was a great idea.
I think the rest of us could really use a holiday.
At the same time I think Jerry didn't use Frank for any good ideas.
He collects TV guides and poisoned his own platoon thinking some spices would help.
The feats of strength and airing of grievances might not bring families closer together.
I think the Costanza family itself as only Festivus celebrating family shows that perfectly.

I am a big fan of your idea of kids making their own aluminium foil pole and writing down their grievances.
But I'd agree on making your own anything and I think writing down grievances is good for your mental health.

And on the non-commercial part. I think that in this world we can safely assume they will be selling Festivus poles,
Costanza cardboard cut outs, basically anything Costanza/Festivus related.
Whistle

Pro

I am glad you are educated about Seinfeld and familiar with the tenets of Festivus.

You point out that there are people selling Festivus Poles but I think these are really the exception. The true spirit of Festivus isn't so much about the pole as it is about taking (or making) a stand. The Festivus pole can be used for hundreds of years, passed down from generation to generation. There are no status markers such as height, foliage or unique genus.

Could you be clear as to whether you support schools in America, not making kids attend school Festivus this year? If not what is your opposition based on?
mrdutch

Con

I think that a good salesman can sell a fur coat to a polar bear, so I think he can sell a pole to a Festivus celebrator.

I'm sorry I forgot the main point of discussion.
I think Festivus itself is a poor idea. Therefore I think no school on Festivus is a bad idea.
Unless there is no school on Festivus, but people use it for things other than Festivus.
Festivus being a bad idea is based on Frank Costanza being the head of a terribly failing household.
Their son has big insecurity issues, mental problems even and as shown is the opposite of success.
I think anyone else would be more fit to come up with a holiday.
Posted by mrdutch 1 month ago
mrdutch
Maybe Francus Constanzus came up with Saturnalia
Posted by Whistle 1 month ago
Whistle
@The MarketLiberal Festivus is not Saturnalia, other than occurring near the winter Solstice what do these two holidays have in common?
Posted by TheMarketLiberal 1 month ago
TheMarketLiberal
Saturnalia