deadroot414
SE2

No religion in public schools.

deadroot414

Con

Hello!
My name is Kurt, and I am in a public highschool. I understand religion should not be forced in school systems. For one to force a religion on another person is truly awful, all men and women should make decisions for themselves. I believe that public school systems should not involve religion in their curriculum. But. What I have noticed is that a great majority of the school, including myself, is Christian. My point here is, if people want to proudly display their Christianity, why should they be stopped? Freedom of religion, right? Many women at our school wear (I don't know the technical term) head dresses due to their religion, and I am all for that. You should be able to display your religion. But the minute someone wears a shirt about Christ they must take it off? If we truly believed in freedom of religion, all religions would be supported, including Christianity. I will never forget seventh grade World History. Our teacher was explaining to us the fundamentals of Hinduism, when I flipped to the page about Christ in my boredom. I immediately raised my hand. "When do we learn about this?" I asked. "We don't, kurt. Freedom of religion." If that was true, we would be allowed to practice Christian beliefs in school. I believe that at the same time we don't have a religion forced on us, we completely leave religion out of school, or we give ALL religions their respect.

No, I am not immature, or a butt hurt Christian. I just don't get it.
SE2

Pro

The reason we don't learn about Jesus Christ in public schools is because we learn about him daily by living in a country with overwhelming Judeo-Christian beliefs. Even if you don't agree try flipping through the channels and not finding at least one show or sitcom with a Christian based message, you can't. So that's why in world history you learn about other cultures and other cultures religion because you may not be exposed to that culture in your everyday life like you are with Christianity.

And the problem with "proudly displaying your Christian faith" is that when a group of people even the majority in your case begin to wear t- shirts and other openly identifying Christian items others may feel intimidated. Imagine being a Hindu where chances are you are the minority. And everyday at school you see Christian t- shirts and groups of Christians everywhere proudly displaying their faith, you may feel pressured to not speak up in class on an issue pertaining to you just because of the fear of being criticized or joked about by the majority of your school. By not allowing Christian t-shirts and Christian clubs even for that matter the school is trying to create a place where all students should feel comfortable expressing their opinions without worrying whether everyone else in the class is a staunch Christian or not.

(please excuse the grammatical errors, not much time to review during mid-terms)
deadroot414

Con

deadroot414 forfeited this round.
SE2

Pro

SE2 forfeited this round.
deadroot414

Con

deadroot414 forfeited this round.
SE2

Pro

SE2 forfeited this round.
Posted by MasterDebater0 2 years ago
MasterDebater0
I have never heard of any rule that kids aren't allowed to wear Christian t-shirts. If there is such a school, it will easily lose a lawsuit on First Amendment grounds. So I think Con needs to source this claim. Maybe a photo of his student handbook or a link to the rules on a school website?
Posted by Atmas 2 years ago
Atmas
I think it's more about creating an environment where all students are "equal" and should only be focused on learning their subjects rather than possibly creating conflict between different ideologies. As much as I am a Hard Atheist, I don't even think that disbelief should be enforced in school, facts and information not opinions and beliefs. Unbiased Neutrality is the goal here, which is why allot of schools try to push for uniforms. Technically, you shouldn't even be allowed to identify yourself as any one particular thing until you've grown up enough to make your own decision in a mature and thoughtful way. Carrying on the tradition of your parents is all well and good, but it doesn't really count if someone made your mind up for you.
Posted by LostintheEcho1498 2 years ago
LostintheEcho1498
I really messed up the end of my final sentence. Meant to put that the minority in that area that particular stick. Sorry
Posted by deadroot414 2 years ago
deadroot414
1st: Acceptance
2nd: Debate
3rd: Rebuttal
Posted by LostintheEcho1498 2 years ago
LostintheEcho1498
It seems you have caught on to the symptoms but not yet realized the disease(this is a metaphor. Not calling religion a disease..). The problem caused is that religion cannot be fully practiced in schools. The "disease" is the problem of trying to make the compromise between Atheism/Agnosticism/Theists. If you don't teach religion, you automatically go into the Agnostic section. If you teach falseness of religion then you fall under Atheist. If you teach religion, you go under Theist. So what do we do? The answer is surprisingly simple. Vote. The people in a particular school should be allowed to vote for whether or not their children learn religion in schools. If the majority says yes or no then you teach based on the vote. The sad part of this is that there is the percentage who still want/don't want their children learning religion. This problem is sadly unavoidable as no system is perfect and the only solution there is private school, inter-district transfer, or moving to a new district. This is the reality of it. In California, we learn what religions believe in basic terms but little else because a majority of California is Atheist/Agnostic. This happens to be unavoidable so I went to a Christian private school until 5th grade and it still is the best school I have yet to be at even if it has been shut down. If someone is in a state that teaches religion, I am sure there are schools that are private that don't. Or you can homeschool if it is that big an issue. The reality of it is that there is no real way to solve this problem without someone getting caught with the short end of the stick the best way to do it, sadly, is to give the minority in that are that particular short stick.
Posted by 2Sukh2 2 years ago
2Sukh2
I fully support your rights, I only hope that you have good sources.
Posted by MyDinosaurHands 2 years ago
MyDinosaurHands
No he has a double negative going.
Posted by dynamicduodebaters 2 years ago
dynamicduodebaters
picked wrong side bud
Posted by Atheist-Independent 2 years ago
Atheist-Independent
Is the first round for acceptance or arguments?