greengoblin123
p145085

No subject should be compulsory for school students past a certain age (say 15)

p145085 has forfeited round #1.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

greengoblin123

Pro

Students who are in their final two years of secondary education should be able to choose whatever subjects they wish. By that age, they are mature enough to know what their interests are and many of them will have some sort of idea as to what career they wish to pursue as an adult. Forcing them to pick a certain subject (for example, Maths) will be frustrating for people who do not wish to pursue a Mathematics-heavy career, especially considering that Year 10 level maths is more than sufficient to 'survive' in day to day life. This will make them be apathetic towards the subject and not put their best effort into the subject, therefore it will be a waste of time and effort, both for the student and the school; especially when considering that another subject which the student finds interesting could have been taken instead.

The only exception to this is people who significantly struggle with basic literacy and numeracy that is essential in one's day to day life. At the end of junior high school, students who wish to continue to senior high school should sit an assessment on basic literacy and numeracy (for example: basic spelling, grammar, writing a letter, basic arithmetic, counting money etc). If you get above a certain mark in the assessment, you can pick whatever subjects you want. If you do not, you have to take a remedial literacy or numeracy course (whichever one you did not pass) in your senior high school years, and pick the rest of your subjects.

Forcing senior high school students to pick a subject is not only a waste of time for the student, but it is a waste of time and resources of the school they attend.

(This is my first debate, so sorry if I am not doing it properly, but here is the structure I am doing. Correct me if I am wrong:
Round 1: Pro introduces arguments, Con rebuts and presents arguments.
Round 2: Both Pro & Con introduce new arguments and rebuttals.
Round 3: No new arguments are introduced, Pro and Con make rebuttals and summarise previous arguments ).
Posted by p145085 1 year ago
p145085
I just joined Debate.org as well, so I don't know either, sorry. :)
Posted by greengoblin123 1 year ago
greengoblin123
Sorry p145085 I just joined Debate.org, I am not sure how to remove you as a contender for this debate. Could you please tell me how?
Posted by greengoblin123 1 year ago
greengoblin123
Posted by p145085 1 year ago
p145085
Please remove me as contender for this debate.