patsox834
Hunton711

"Non-Americans Should Not Come Onto This Website and Give Opinions About George W. Bush."

patsox834

patsox834

Con

Full resolution: "This should be an American-only website, and non-Americans should not come onto this website and give opinions on "American issues," as defined by my opponent to be issues like George W. Bush."

Through messaging, my opponent put forth the following comments, which I personally find to be absurd:

<"this should be an american only website but no ppl from britian and canada stick their noses in on american affairs and they say bush is bad and then u say u r against patriotism WTF">

Since this is a debating website, and squabbling over messages seems to be futile, I figured I'd create a debate to get some answers from the user Hunton711.

Why in the name of Manny Ramirez should this be an American only website? Because the majority of people here are American, perhaps? I'm not sure, but that's partially why I created this debate: to elicit a rationale from my opponent.

Further, I'd also like to know why, in my opponent's view, Non-American people (I'm assuming on this site, but if my opponent means in general, then I'd like for him to clarify) shouldn't be allowed to give their thoughts about problems pertinent to the United States.

Anyway, before I throw out my rebuttals, I'd like to see what my opponent has to say about these claims of his (this way, potential straw men are avoided.)
Hunton711

Pro

It really upsets me how foreign people are always complaining about how bad America is.
Like, patssox for example.
He claims G.W.B. is a bad pres.
Even if this is so, what did he do that affected Canada so much?
Because I think it's a beautiful country and every time my friends visit Can., they say it's perfect.
So I don't know how you someone can complain about America.
We are struggling, yes.
But for someone to complain that has nothing to do with our economy, is rather upsetting.
we don't visit your country and complain.
The only bad thing I know about Canadians is that you say we are trashy people and that we are dirty.
Like in NYC my grandfather met a Canadian and she started going off on how filthy we are and how much she dislikes us.
Then why do you visit?
We do everything for Canada, God forbid you guys were ever under attack, because that would be on us.
Anyways, let me state another country that is always there to b***h and complain but never does s**t.
FRANCE!
They always expect us to be perfect and to do this and to do that and that we do this wrong and we do that wrong, what do they do besides complain and hide?
It must be convenient for them to complain about the war or G.W.B. and not do a thing about it.
It has nothing to do with them.
WWII for example, they did what?
Built CRAPPY guns and didn't even finish the war!
Everything is always blamed on America because we "suck" so much.
I hate people that stereotype America.
U.S. & Can. conduct the worlds largest bilateral trade relationship, we need eachother.
Why complain?
You guys don't have countries threatening to bomb you.
patsox834

Con

My opponent has seemingly disregarded the resolution, which, to reiterate, is: <""This should be an American-only website, and non-Americans should not come onto this website and give opinions on "American issues," as defined by my opponent to be issues like George W. Bush."">

Instead of saying why this should be an American only site and why people on debate.org shouldn't come to this site and give their opinions on "American issues," my opponent decided to ramble about how Canadians unjustly complain about America. I'd like to ask him to do what he can to stick within the parameters of the debate, and actually give some reasons as to why non-Americans shouldn't be allowed on debate.org, and why the non-Americans that are currently on the site shouldn't give opinions on American issues.

<"He claims G.W.B. is a bad pres.
Even if this is so, what did he do that affected Canada so much?">

Ok. If it *is* so, then my complaint would be justified, no...?

What I wanna know is...why is it relevant how much his choices affected Canada? Assume his choices didn't affect Canada -- why does that mean we shouldn't be allowed to criticize him? And lastly, why should speech be limited? Morally speaking, if where you live doesn't give you the freedom to speak your mind, then I don't see how it's "free."

So please, assuming Bush didn't affect Canada, explain why Canadians should have limited speech because of decisions that were irrelevant to us. Why should something so irrelevant affect our freedoms?

However, the U.S.A. and Canada are clearly involved in a mutually beneficial relationship, which is a point my opponent actually concedes, when says this:

<"U.S. & Can. conduct the worlds largest bilateral trade relationship, we need eachother.">

Right. Taking into account that both countries are, indeed, relevant to one another, why, then, shouldn't Canadians complain about the actions of Americans?

<"The only bad thing I know about Canadians is that you say we are trashy people and that we are dirty.
Like in NYC my grandfather met a Canadian and she started going off on how filthy we are and how much she dislikes us.">

Wait, what? Your basis for claiming that Canadians think Americans are dirty is...one person? One person does not represent the majority -- an individual does not constitute a sufficient sample size.

Further, my opponent then said this:

<"I hate people that stereotype America.">

...so then why is it ok for you to do the same thing to Canadians? You can freely claim that Canadians all say America s-cks and that we think it's filthy, but that is nothing more than an absurd stereotype, which you seem to be so vehemently against. So, again, why is it acceptable for you to stereotype Canadians, but not for Canadians to stereotype Americans?

A large part of my opponent's argument was...incoherent attacks against Canada, and, for whatever reason, France -- such as this:

<"We do everything for Canada, God forbid you guys were ever under attack, because that would be on us.
FRANCE!
It has nothing to do with them.">

Such an odd attack is...well, irrelevant. Most of what my opponent said is irrelevant to this debate, but this is just ridiculous. I'd again like to request that he stick within the parameters of this debate, and actually attempt to put forth some kind of reasoning to justify the resolution -- up to this point, he hasn't done so.
Hunton711

Pro

Hunton711 forfeited this round.
patsox834

Con

Hmm, it seems as if my opponent's account is no longer active. Too bad.

Anyway...*enter comments about extending arguments here.*
Hunton711

Pro

Hunton711 forfeited this round.
Posted by doomdayer 7 years ago
doomdayer
this is a given con win, the pro shouldnt even be bothering to defend his position its just undefendable.
Posted by Zynisch 7 years ago
Zynisch
Hmmm, I more than lean towards Con on this one. Given the unstructured childish ramblings of 'Batman' in his first answer. Also he is wrong, people other than America DO have people threatening to bomb us, don't know about Con in Canada (I love Canada by the way) but we English definitely do.
Posted by brian_eggleston 7 years ago
brian_eggleston
Sorry for the double post.
Posted by brian_eggleston 7 years ago
brian_eggleston
Everybody on the Internet should be allowed to comment freely.

Except Chris Crocker of course!
Posted by brian_eggleston 7 years ago
brian_eggleston
I love this debate! How ironic it would have been for another non-American to be Pro though?

Anyway, surely everybody on the Internet should be allowed to comment freely? Except Chris Crocker of course!
Posted by JBlake 7 years ago
JBlake
Easy win for Con. Short of a full concession, Pro cannot come back from his first round fiasco.
Posted by untitled_entity 7 years ago
untitled_entity
I feel myself already leaning to a con default.
Posted by Common_Sense_Please 7 years ago
Common_Sense_Please
""This should be an American-only website." Bit racist lol

"and non-Americans should not come onto this website and give opinions on "American issues," as defined by my opponent to be issues like George W. Bush." If 'American Issues' also effect other countries I think they have a right to an opinion about it. I think it's quite useful for someone outside the American media and propaganda to give opinions myself.
Posted by Clockwork 7 years ago
Clockwork
Regionalism FTW!
Vote Placed by patsox834 7 years ago
patsox834
patsox834Hunton711Tied