nerf4sh
Homosapien

Non-Christian Religions Feel Right

Homosapien

nerf4sh

Pro

Hi,

I think religions other then Christianity, don't feel right. Some sort of makes sense, but they don't feel safe, don't feel like that's the right religion. Any religion to argue with this is fine.
Homosapien

Con

Hello Sir,

I am honoured to debate this topic with you, I shall not stand on ceremony, and with your permission get straight on with the topic at hand.

The Pro is arguing that Non-Christian Religions don't feel right, the subject of his argument title is slightly incorrect but this is of no concern for the subject, I take on this debate as a matter that is purely educational for both my respectable opponent and for any readers.

One of the key constructs that the Religious, of all denominations have is that thier faith 'feels right' they hold conviction and certainty in their God/Gods and that it is with certainty that any religious individual pursue their own belief. I will argue this as a Secularist, with no religious disposition that either the following is true.

1st Assertion - Logic

'All religions feel right'
'No religions feel right'

So my initial assertion is that no one religion, or group of religions can feel right, one must respect that all believers hold their faith so dearly that they will claim only their version of their faith feels right, if it didn't they would hold different values. My evidence for this is the basic logic of solipsism.

"The theory of solipsism also merits close examination because it relates to three widely-held philosophical presuppositions, each itself fundamental and wide-ranging in importance:

1: My most certain knowledge is the content of my own mind—my thoughts, experiences, affects, etc.
2: There is no conceptual or logically necessary link between mental and physical—between, say, the occurrence of certain conscious experience or mental states and the 'possession' and behavioral dispositions of a 'body' of a particular kind (see the brain in a vat).
3:The experience of a given person is necessarily private to that person."

That is to say the following.

Just because I feel something is right/not right it does not logically concur that others feel the same way.

2nd Assertion - Experience

Statistics reveal an inconvenient truth in this matter.

https://www.cia.gov...

My counterpart would have to demonstrate that for Muslims, Jews, Buddhists, Sikhs and Hindus, their religion does not feel right. I would submit that this is evidently not the case, many religious people hold their faith with great conviction, regardless of what that faith is, if it is enough to drive someone to do any of the following, it must axiomatically feel right to that person.

Change diet -
http://www.faithandfood.com...
Pray with conviction and dedication -
http://recordsetter.com...
Commit Murder -
http://www.london24.com...
Mutilate children -
http://www.nhs.uk...
Go to war -
http://www.dailynewsegypt.com...

Any of these acts demonstrate the individuals conviction in their belief, whether you agree or disagree with these actions they are some of the most serious things a human can do, only a believer who feels it is right would do them.

To conclude

My opponent will need to demonstrate not that other religions feel wrong to themselves as an individual but to all faithful people not of Christian denomination that they feel wrong in their current faith.

Once again, if you respect people's right to believe as they wish, and that their faith feels right to them, and them alone, then you must be against this assertion.

Sir, the floor is yours.

Best Regards,
Ben

nerf4sh

Pro

Hi, great paragraph and all. I find what you say correct.

My question is does their religion feel right to them? Do they really know what they believe in and it's not just their cultural or ethnic traditions? Do they know their religion is the right and true one? I'm not trying to jump to conclusions, and say Christianity is the right religion. But it makes a lot of sense. And the love of God is overwhelming in Christian faith. While as in Hinduism, they have gods like Shiva, god of destruction, and Kali, goddess of death. Reincarnation, for example, has no proof that its actually true, while Christians have had near death experiences, and have claimed to come back from Heaven. The history of Christianity's beginnins are at the time of Jesus, but, our belief is that Christianity is linked with Judaism, though they ignore Jesus, so that means that Christianity started at the time of Abraham. Well before a whole lot of religions.

The words of the bible are true, but people from other religions don't read it, so they don't see the sense in Christianity. I haven't read their holy books, but I know they talk about farmers in fields in Buddhism. The difference between Christianity and other religions is that God's greatest value is not His will, but His love. And other religions believe works is the way to salvation, but Christians believe we are failures and can't do anything because of our sins, but because of Christ's sacrifice we are saved. We have free will, and we can do anything through God.

What others believe, I can respect, but really, I think their religions are kind of weird and don't feel satisfying, especially on the part of their gods or god. They should really look into that and look into Christianity, because there is truly a lot they're missing out on.

I'm only 13 years old, so I'm not pro at this.

My opponent will have to explain to me why their religion feels right.

Homosapien

Con

Hello Sir,

Thank you for your arguments, I shall rebut point by point.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ner4sh - "My question is does their religion feel right to them? Do they really know what they believe in and it's not just their cultural or ethnic traditions? Do they know their religion is the right and true one?"

I would submit that thier religion does feel right to them on the following evidence, here is a video of a a Muslim telling his personal story.

He is clearly a motivated, passionate man who is telling his story with , and this is important, feeling for me or you to tell this man that his religion does not fell right would be both disrespectful and in bad taste. Because it clearly does feel right to him, one need only traverse the streets of a cosmpolitan city to see a diverse range of people who hold thier faith close to thier hearts. It is a deeply personal chioce for the individual, a right we cannot refuse them by saying it does not feel right.

Maybe it is a part of their cultural ethnic traditions, I would submit that exactly the same is the truth for most Christians, the spread of world faith populations I delivered in my opening argument demonstrates this to be truth, historically Christian countries produce more Christians, historically muslim countries produce more Muslims.

Even if this were not the case, millions of Muslims, Jews, Christian, Hindus, Sikhs, Buddhists hold their faith, and convert regularly because they believe in the inherent truth of whatever they choose to follow.

Ner4sh - "Reincarnation, for example, has no proof that its actually true, while Christians have had near death experiences, and have claimed to come back from Heaven. The history of Christianity's beginnins are at the time of Jesus, but, our belief is that Christianity is linked with Judaism, though they ignore Jesus, so that means that Christianity started at the time of Abraham. Well before a whole lot of religions."

If you want to see any argument and evidence for any of the major world faiths one can cite evidence, I would suggest that there is a lot of psychological study into the element of near death experiences, but this does not detract from the daily chioces that millions of people of all denominations take every day that demonstrates that faith feels right to them, whatever that faith is.

Christianity is by a long way not one of the worlds oldest religions, here is a list by no means exhaustive, with evidence of the worship of that Deities long before 50 CE.

Furthermore, lets take a branch we might call paganism.

http://books.google.co.uk...

There are approximately 300,000,000 Pagans worldwide, they believe their branch of Paganism does feel right to them one of the oldest archaeological evidence for Paganism is Stonehenge, which is believed to have been constructed sometime in 3100 BCE, here is a picture of it.

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk...

So if your argument is that Christianity’s age denotes it's value then I would seriously question whether this is truly the case, as there are literally thousands of Gods worshipped in pre-historic times.

Ner4sh - "The words of the bible are true, but people from other religions don't read it, so they don't see the sense in Christianity. I haven't read their holy books, but I know they talk about farmers in fields in Buddhism. The difference between Christianity and other religions is that God's greatest value is not His will, but His love. And other religions believe works is the way to salvation, but Christians believe we are failures and can't do anything because of our sins, but because of Christ's sacrifice we are saved. We have free will, and we can do anything through God."

Sir, I would suggest this borders on preaching, which is not becoming of good debate conduct, I refer you back to the opening statement.

You may feel that Christianity is correct for you, you may see whichever truth you choose to do so. I respect that this feels right to you and I would never deny that is the case. So can you see the logical fallacy in you denying that right to others.

Just because it feels right to you, it does not mean it feels right to others.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ner4sh - "What others believe, I can respect, but really, I think their religions are kind of weird and don't feel satisfying, especially on the part of their gods or god. They should really look into that and look into Christianity, because there is truly a lot they're missing out on.

My opponent will have to explain to me why their religion feels right"

Once again sir, it does indeed feel right to you, that is good, you should go with what feels right to you, and of course if you feel others are missing out, then yes reading is always encouraged, but as you have said you have yet to read other holy scriptures, so an imam or rabbi could say exactly the same to you, there is a lot you may well be missing out on as well.

I am an atheist, I have no religion, I do not feel I have to exlplain my personal beliefs to you in order to defend the millions of people that follow thier own faith in thier own way.

As I said before, I do not believe what you believe, but I respect your right to believe it, and that it feels right to you, it would be very wise to respect that in others they also feel their faith is correct.

A deeply personal choice.

With great respect,
Ben

nerf4sh

Pro

I have nothing more to say. You're a great debator.

As you can tell, I have great passion for my religion, and you do to.

Best wishes,
Samuel
Homosapien

Con

Hello Sir,

Thank you for a good debate, and enjoyable first one for myself.

Out of due resepct I shall post no futher arguments, and leave it now for the voters to cast accordingly.

It was a pleasure to discuss this with you.

Best Regards,
Ben
Posted by Homosapien 4 years ago
Homosapien
Hello DudeWithoutTheE (May I call you Dud)

Yes agreed, I highlighted this in my opening, but thought nonetheless for the purpose of education it was worth taking up the discussion.

Many thanks,
Ben
Posted by DudeWithoutTheE 4 years ago
DudeWithoutTheE
This is a confusing debate because the debaters holding the pro and con titles are actually arguing the opposite of what the motion says their position should be.
Posted by sweetbreeze 4 years ago
sweetbreeze
Christianity doesn't feel right. No matter what you do, you go to Heaven because you're Christian and you have to go to Hell if you're an other religion, even if you do good things? It's not fair, people. Think about it.
Posted by Dominomac 4 years ago
Dominomac
This is a matter of opinion, and people from other religions would say that christinaity doesnt make sence or doesn't feel right. God was born in human form as jesus, yet he still talked to God as his father, and not himself. also no direct sources on jesus's life and teachings, all verses in the new testiment are from 3rd parties put together 300 years after jesus died. In Islam jesus is highly reviered and beloved, however he is viewed as a profit, second only to Muhamad.
Vote Placed by TrotskyistRebel 4 years ago
TrotskyistRebel
nerf4shHomosapienTied
Reasons for voting decision: Very vague debate. Con handled this in a very controlled and sophisticated manner, props to him.
Vote Placed by ModusTollens 4 years ago
ModusTollens
nerf4shHomosapienTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro conceded. In addition, Con demonstrated very clearly that Pro was wrong to assert that his/her feelings about other faiths are fundamental.
Vote Placed by DudeWithoutTheE 4 years ago
DudeWithoutTheE
nerf4shHomosapienTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con makes it clear that there is no reason to specifically believe non-Christians have any less faith or 'feel less right' following their religion. He also supports this with sources. Nothing from Pro stand.
Vote Placed by NiqashMotawadi3 4 years ago
NiqashMotawadi3
nerf4shHomosapienTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro conceded with Con, who clearly had better arguments. Con offered reliable sources to support some of his points. Pro didn't.