Not voting can be a good thing.

I ask for a simple argument that doesnt really on a predefined format. I do not care about formality and ask my opponent to simply and clearly state their arguments and rebuttals.

Choosing to not vote is just as effective as voting.

By this I mean choosing to not vote for the same reason that you would choose to vote.

For example I chose to not vote in the US 2014 midterms. I did not like any of the canidates and did not feel as thought any of them deserved the positions they ran for. By not voting I have still contributed to the election. My actions acurately represent my stance and opinion. I would rather throw my vote away than help somebody gain a position I do not want them to have.

As for those who claim that their "one vote" doesnt matter, and those who claim they dont care about politics, they are not the type of non voter I am trying to debate.

Opponent must prove that my choice to not vote was an unsuccessful way to represent my opinion in the polls.

Simply put, if you do not vote, your presence is not known through turn out, and no conclusion can be drawn from your absence.

If you were to write yourself in, write in any candidate, or turn in an empty ballot in the election you don't like the candidates in, your presence becomes registered as a symbolic vote of no confidence. Your vote was cast, but not for the chosen candidates from the primaries.

In numbers, this sends a message, but it still requires a cast ballot.

I wish I had made this a 2 round debate instead.

I agree with you entirely and did not no that it was an option to turn in an empty ballot. You have won the argument and even changed my mind. From now on I will turn in an empty ballot.

Again VOTE CON. Con has won the debate.

Premise stands, opponent withdraws.

Again, thank you for the information, I wish I did this for the US 2014 Midterms

Glad I could be of service, thank you for bringing something topical to the challenge section.
Posted by Garbanza 1 year ago
Unless you're protesting the Democratic system itself. But even then, how can you expect anyone to decode your cryptic non vote message? Probably they'll just think you're lazy it mentally incompetent. To be a proper protest it needs to be combined with some additional activism.
Posted by Garbanza 1 year ago
I don't have voting privilege on this site, and so I can't vote, and what a relief, even though con obviously won.

Not voting is pleasant, I get it, but I think symbolic non voting is pathetic. Of course it's horrible to pick from between two or more bad alternatives and be responsible for the outcome, but our duty as citizens is to pick the least bad outcome or at least try to. If it really is that bad, you should run yourself or support someone decent to run. This do nothing fatalism with its tinge of baseless moral smugness is unbearable.

I mean it in a friendly way though.
Posted by Atmas 1 year ago
It does kinda suck when you're supposed to choose between two people you don't like. There needs to be a better election process, but I doubt anyone will want to change it.
Vote Placed by RainbowDash52 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: pro conceded.