Pain
DakotaKrafick

Nothing can escape from a black hole

DakotaKrafick

Pain

Pro

Unless it's a white hole or dark matter, nothing in the universe can escape a black hole.

round 1: acceptance and opening argument

rounds 2-4: argument/countertheory

round 5: conclusion. No argument

Round forfiet= Additional argument for opposing debator.

Last round forfiet= Automatic loss

Use of wikipedia= Automatic loss

Run out of time for debate= Automatic loss
DakotaKrafick

Con

Thank you, Pain, and the viewers for making this debate possible.

The proposition that my opponent will be defending and I will be refuting is this: "Unless it's a white hole or dark matter, nothing in the universe can escape a black hole."

Why would I ever accept to this debate then? The proposition seems to be merely a quote from a science textbook, and therefore is not really up for debate. However, it holds a glaring flaw: the conditional phrase "Unless it's a white hole or dark matter". This means that my opponent must defend the contention that white holes and dark matter both can escape a black hole. To defend this, however, will prove impossible, as black holes can (and do) swallow dark matter.

I. Dark matter cannot escape a black hole.

It is rare, only because of dark matter's naturally little interaction with ordinary matter, but dark matter (when at just the right distance and acceleration) will be sucked into a dark hole [1]. Astrophysicists at Cornel University visit the subject and agree that dark matter accumulates relatively little of a supermassive dark hole's fuel, but it does account for ~10 percent [2].

II. Dark energy can escape a black hole.

My opponent was so close to having a bulletproof proposition. However, he surely meant to write "dark energy" instead of "dark matter". Dark energy is a mysterious thing; it's what causes the universe to expand and is completely unaffected by gravity. Therefore, it is the only known thing in the universe capable of escaping a black hole [3].

In conclusion, I have not only shown that his conditional phrase "unless it's a white hole or dark matter" to be false (as dark matter, in fact, cannot escape a black hole), I have also shown the core thesis "nothing in the universe can escape a black hole" to be false (as dark energy can).

Seeing as how we are dealing with scientific fact, and these cannot be disputed, I see no reason to prolong this debate another four rounds. However, as I agreed to partake in them when I initially accepted the debate, I shall continue to falsify my opponent's proposition as needed for the duration of the debate. I look forward to my opponent's response and wish him luck.

[1] http://curious.astro.cornell.edu...
[2] http://arxiv.org...
[3] http://curious.astro.cornell.edu...
Pain

Pro

Pain forfeited this round.
DakotaKrafick

Con

My opponent has forfeited his round. Seeing as how there is nothing more for me to say, as I have already debunked the proposition, I will pass on this round as well.
Pain

Pro

Pain forfeited this round.
Pain

Pro

Pain forfeited this round.
DakotaKrafick

Con

Extend arguments from very first round.
Pain

Pro

Pain forfeited this round.
DakotaKrafick

Con

Apparently, my opponent has fallen into a black hole. Shame, though it's not as if he could have refuted the scientific fact that his proposition was wrong anyway. I apologize for the disappointing "debate", but urge you to vote Con.
Posted by Pain 5 years ago
Pain
I'm sorry, I was........................ err..................................... umm............................ I was in a coma! Yeah, that's it. But I really thought you would win after accidentally forfieting all of my rounds. Whoops..........
Posted by ZephyrMeTimbers 5 years ago
ZephyrMeTimbers
I'll just leave these here for all you certain you're right people. ;)

http://www.scientificamerican.com...
http://io9.com...
Posted by Riza_Rosette 5 years ago
Riza_Rosette
Do you really need 5 rounds to debate a scientific fact?
Posted by THEBOMB 5 years ago
THEBOMB
well this is impossible to argue.........nothing can escape a black hole....with the exception of anything that can escape a black hole.....
Posted by Jhate 5 years ago
Jhate
this debate should be in invalid, its not a debatable topic because it is a fact nothing can escape a black hole, your argument therefore invalid
Posted by Ron-Paul 5 years ago
Ron-Paul
I though this was a scientific fact.
Posted by Maikuru 5 years ago
Maikuru
So...nothing can escape from a black hole except for the things that can?
Vote Placed by Mestari 5 years ago
Mestari
PainDakotaKrafickTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff