badluckbrian
fazz

Nuclear Families

fazz

badluckbrian

Con

It's been clearly proven that more and more people in first world countries are becoming chronically depressed and being diagnosed by psychiatrists as such. Do you believe this is correlated with the modern nuclear family (a household with just parents and one or two children) due to a lack of communication with relatives for emotional support? Many parents are either absent from home or too busy for long periods of time and do not have enough time to speak with loved ones about their issues. This leads to depressed people seeking out therapy, but the therapist basically mimics the job of speaking to a family or friend, only it costs money. Would you agree that depression and anxiety rates are more likely to go down globally if family households were to consist of extended family in addition to parents? In other words, are you against the modern nuclear family, or for it?
fazz

Pro

I accept your Challenge. To be specific, you are arguing that the nuclear family is not adequate in supporting the mental health of its members? I will debate for the Nuclear family is essential to the modern psyche.

Personally, I noticed that I was in the minority since my Grandmother lived in our house for a long time. But even then families are much larger where I come from (the Indian Sub-continent). I have about 20 aunts and uncles and 50 cousins. Growing up we did not really need friends because we grew up with such a large structure. It is only in the West where the extended family does not play a strong role. However, the nuclear family was the basis of my family. My mother and father who had an arranged marriage were the sole role-models in my life. And that was all I needed.

In relation to the contrast between my story and your vision of modernized countries I would add that you are right about increased work pressure. But by mentioning both ( a. nuclear family b. work pressure) you have made your question a bit wayward. Can you be more specific? For example, I could turn your premise on its head, and say that it is [i]due[/i] to work pressure that the modern family are split into single-parent homes leading to depression. I would cite the growing gap between divorce rates in my area of the world and advanced nations such as Japan and the US where divorce rates are skyrocketing. So, the answer, in short is no, I do not blame the "nuclear family" but exactly the opposite, ie, its absence, as the culprit. Then again, this might differ upon personal considerations, I think?

In modern times there is increasing depression. But as somebody else has already mentioned this could clearly be a sign of good; [i]Not bad [/i]. Perhaps, as a society we progress and thus, those who were alone before can come out with their mental illness and not be ashamed as before. What you see as a symptom may only be the misconceived "growing pains" which are quite healthy for society at large. Who knows?

But most, if not all, modern studies show that a solid family foundation, along with co-relation of support such as faith and tradition, play a strong role in happiness and well-being. [See link: http://abcnews.go.com... ].

With this, I conclude the opening statements. [i]Touche![/i]
badluckbrian

Con

badluckbrian forfeited this round.
fazz

Pro

[b] Brian said: This leads to depressed people seeking out therapy, but the therapist basically mimics the job of speaking to a family or friend, only it costs money. [/b]

I would like to add that I overlooked this particular problem in the first round. Since Brian forfeited the second argument I will just make a short statement addressing therapy. It is a misconception that therapy is the equivalent of talking to your best friend or family. There are two misconceptions here: a) Your therapist does not know you. No matter how many "secrets" you spill he is not trying to be your friend through intimate conversations. The reason for privacy is to protect, and [i]only[/i] to protect the patients right to information. Since the therapist only knows [u]what you telling him[/u], basicallly he cannot really abuse or take advantage of you. b) The second point is related to the above. Since he does not know you why talk to him. Yes you could probably talk to your parents about your emotions. In return, your parents will give you emotional advice. The therapist will ignore your emotions, instead give you the pattern. What is "pattern"; It is the underbelly of your subconscious which we conscious beings do not notice. So know a Psychotherapist is not giving you advice about boyfriends and diets to lose some pounds, No! He is instead looking for hidden patterns and exposing them. The difference is that there is a small picture, that is the individual, and the BIG vision of how we fit into society.

I post this as an argument against BadLuckBrian's overall debate premise that the Nuclear Family unit is responsible for psychological harm towards patients of depression. Thank you for hearing this debate - Faz
badluckbrian

Con

badluckbrian forfeited this round.
fazz

Pro

Vote Pro!
Posted by fazz 3 years ago
fazz
Dmussi below has a point. But your question shows this is not a one side coin?
Posted by sabineparish 3 years ago
sabineparish
I'm trying to determine whether the con argument is against nuclear families or against extended families?
Posted by dmussi12 3 years ago
dmussi12
I think it's simply because depression wasn't really diagnosed before, along with other mental issues. In other words, the numbers are only increasing because it's only now being recognized as a legitimate issue.
Vote Placed by Wylted 3 years ago
Wylted
badluckbrianfazzTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit