TheSquadBoss
Mirza

Nuts ruin ice-cream.

Mirza

TheSquadBoss

Pro

As you can tell this isn't as formal as the normal philosophical or political debate. This debate is more of a quick fun one just to take a break from hard core politics. I want to keep the argument length fairly low so the Max. is at 5,000 characters.

Point 1. Nuts ruin the consistency- Ice-Cream has a soft smooth texture. Often if one has a sore or inflamed throat instead of those nasty little cough pills ice-cream can be used to soothe the throat. If nuts are in the ice-cream their crunchy-ness ruins the soft smooth consistency and ice-cream can no longer be used to soothe the throat.

Point 2. Nuts are a random topping- Common toppings for ice cream consist of things like sprinkles, chocolate sauce, warm fudge, and occasionally even marshmallows. All of the above for the most part soft a dissolve in your mouth. In addition they all have a sweet flavor to offer. # 1 If you are trying to dissolve a nut in your mouth your going to be waiting for a very long time and # 2 nuts have no sweet flavor to offer, nuts are just bland hunks of mass that are not needed in ice-cream.

Point 3. Some Evidence! (Why not?)- According to community.tasteofhome.com a recent survey shows that only 4.5% of people being surveyed said they liked nuts as a topping. To enforce what I said earlier about chocolate sauce being a superior topping 67.2% said that chocolate sauce or hot fudge was there favorite topping.
Mirza

Con

I thank you and I disagree.

1. Definitions

1.1 Nut

"An indehiscent, hard-shelled, one-loculated, one-seeded fruit, such as an acorn or hazelnut."[D]

1.2 Ice cream

2. Rebuttals

Now, by definition, the word "ruin" means to e.g. eliminate or partially destroy. I have never heard of an ice cream actually being ruined by nuts if we use this definition. However, I believe that my opponent refers to "ruin" as a slang term, and not an absolute, literal one.

2.1 Consistency

Just because ice cream has a smooth texture does not mean that nuts do not fit in. In fact, it is more befitting for food to have different variations of e.g. spices or decorations than some boring, old-style types that even make you lose your appetite. I agree that ice cream tastes very well without nuts, and that the texture is smooth without them, but again, not all people prefer all the smoothness, especially not the masculine kind of humans. Moreover, when it comes to an inflamed throat, if someone does not want nuts in an ice cream when treating the throat, then the person has the option not to have nuts in an ice cream. Just because nuts are not good for all ice cream eating purposes does not mean that they actually ruin ice cream.

Furthermore, nuts are actually good in ice cream for health benefits. If you see reference #1, you will realize that some types of nuts contain amounts of antioxidants high enough to benefit for cancer treatment. The source also says, "Walnuts also contain the antioxidant compound ellagic acid, which is known to fight cancer and support the immune system. But that's not all--in a study in the August 2003 issue of Phytochemistry, researchers identified 16 polyphenols in walnuts, including three new tannins, with antioxidant activity so powerful they described it as 'remarkable.'"

How, then, can nuts ruin ice cream when it can serve significantly well for health purposes, especially for those who do not want to give up eating ice cream? If they eat it without nuts, they will most likely just treat an inflamed throat and perhaps gain some extra weigh. If they, however, put nuts on top of the ice cream, they will get many health benefits from that contrary to what my opponent might think.

2.2. Random topping

This point is weak. Why are nuts "random topping?" Why are they not as good as chocolate sauce? Also, who exactly says that nuts cannot go along with chocolate sauce? Physically speaking it is possible. Also, just because nuts do not dissolve in your mouth without chewing them does in no way make them negative. In fact, it is better that people stop being lazy in every single activity in the world, and at least move their jaws up and down while they eat something like an ice cream. Do we really need to argue against something that you have to chew? In fact, it can strengthen your teeth and cheek bones due to the tough structure of nuts, but as I have explained in one of my debates, moving the jaw up and down can be beneficial.[2]

2.3 Evidence

Even if most people might not like nuts as a topping on ice creams, it does not mean that nuts are bad. Teenage girls eat unhealthy food.[3] Does it mean that healthy food is bad? Of course not. People lean on the more unhealthy food, and the same comes to nuts and ice cream; people leave the healthy part over. It is bad.

-- References --

[D] http://www.thefreedictionary.com...
[D2] http://www.answers.com...

[1] http://www.sixwise.com...
[2] http://www.debate.org...
[3] http://www.guardian.co.uk...
TheSquadBoss

Pro

TheSquadBoss forfeited this round.
Mirza

Con

I still agree with my previous arguments.
TheSquadBoss

Pro

TheSquadBoss forfeited this round.
Mirza

Con

I have made myself clear. In fact, I will buy nuts tomorrow.
Posted by TheSquadBoss 6 years ago
TheSquadBoss
@ Mirza: I apologize for not responding. I did not intend or this debate to end up getting so serious lol....
Posted by m93samman 6 years ago
m93samman
winner winner, chicken dinner.
Posted by Mirza 6 years ago
Mirza
"1.2 Ice cream"

The reference is [D2].
Posted by Koopin 6 years ago
Koopin
"4.5% of people being surveyed said they liked nuts as a topping. "

SHOW ME THE CARFAX!!!
Posted by Mirza 6 years ago
Mirza
Never!
Vote Placed by Koopin 6 years ago
Koopin
TheSquadBossMirzaTied
Vote Placed by pewpewpew 6 years ago
pewpewpew
TheSquadBossMirzaTied
Vote Placed by InsertNameHere 6 years ago
InsertNameHere
TheSquadBossMirzaTied