joannekelley
Neoteric

Obama Administration has recently been commenting/defending the collection of Verizon Phone Records

joannekelley

Con

I disagree with the Secret Data Collection because my conversations with my children and my husband are sacred. Knowing that my conversations are being heard and recorded makes me sick to my stomach. I am currently a customer of Verizon Wireless, since foreign companies own part of them and T-Mobile the government has access to ALL phone calls and that is a violation of our fourth amendment. The Patriot Act also affects all of us as students. Under the Patriot Act, the Attorney General now has the jurisdiction to collect previously inaccessible information including name, address, visa classification, academic status, disciplinary action, or criminal involvement from educational institutions about foreign students. According to the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO), about 200 colleges and universities have already turned over student information to the FBI, INS and other law enforcement officials.
Neoteric

Pro

I'm happy to say I'll be participating in this debate for pro surveillance. Though the title mentions the collection of Verizon phone records, I'd like to push this debate more toward the concept of surveillance overall as you had been in your introductory statement. I'll reserve the first argument for round 2.
joannekelley

Con

Most of the changes to surveillance law made by the Patriot Act were part of a longstanding law enforcement wish list that had been previously rejected by Congress, in some cases repeatedly. Congress reversed course because it was bullied into it by the Bush Administration in the frightening weeks after the September 11 attack. The constitution is diminishing right before our eyes. It violates the Fourth Amendment, which says the government cannot conduct a search without obtaining a warrant and showing probable cause to believe that the person has committed or will commit a crime. Violates the First Amendment's guarantee of free speech by prohibiting the recipients of search orders from telling others about those orders, even where there is no real need for secrecy. Violates the First Amendment by effectively authorizing the FBI to launch investigations of American citizens in part for exercising their freedom of speech. Violates the Fourth Amendment by failing to provide notice - even after the fact - to persons whose privacy has been compromised. Notice is also a key element of due process, which is guaranteed by the Fifth Amendment.
Neoteric

Pro

I'd like to inform the audience and my opponent that my opponent has plagiarized his content from aclu.org [1]. I'm willing to finish this debate in round 3 if in the next argument my opponent posts content that he made.

[1] https://www.aclu.org...;
joannekelley

Con

joannekelley forfeited this round.
Neoteric

Pro

Neoteric forfeited this round.