yoda878
MouthWash

Obama is a Celebrity President

yoda878

yoda878

Pro

Simple debate, Obama has been called the "Celeberty Presedent" Lets decide here and now.
MouthWash

Con

I thank my opponent.

Definitions:

Celebrity: A person who has a prominent profile and commands a great degree of public fascination and influence in day-to-day media. [http://en.wikipedia.org...]

President: The head of state and government of the United States. [http://en.wikipedia.org...]

Obama: Barack Hussein Obama II, born August 4, 1961, the 44th and current President of the United States. [http://en.wikipedia.org...]

Pro has the BOP.

Since all of the Presidents have been celebrities (fullfilling the definition), Pro must prove that Obama has a much greater prominent profile and commands a higher degree of public fascination and influence in day-to-day media than other Presidents, thus making him a "Celebrity President."

I await Pro's arguments.
yoda878

Pro

Obama has been called a celebrity President. I am not here to argue wither that is a good thing or a bad thing that is up to an individual opinion. We could argue all day wither that is good or bad. More so is he a celebrity president? The answer is simple, yes.

Have you seen any other president, to be so successful as to get on the forbs celebrity list? The answer is, no. Obama was the first president to make the list.

http://www.smh.com.au...

We also have President Obama’s celebrity fundraiser, the biggest presidential fundraiser ever, hosted by Gorge Clooney. Only Celebrities were invited.

http://entertainment.inquirer.net...

Oprah helped make him a celebrity just like she did with Dr. Phil.

He also appears in celebrity gossip magazines; whither you want to think of him like that, the celebrities already do think of him as one of them.

http://celebrity-gossip.net...

First Black president that might be helping make him a celebrity, thanks Celebrity Gossip.

Celebrity birthday bash for President Obama

http://abcnews.go.com...

I could go on but, I’ll leave it at this.

MouthWash

Con

Pro demonstrates that Obama is a celebrity, "a person who has a prominent profile and commands a great degree of public fascination and influence in day-to-day media."

Since any president is automatically well-known and influential, all presidents are essentially celebrities. A "celebrity president" would be a president that a far more well-known and influential than regular presidents, in the same way that a celebrity god would be a celebrity among gods, or a king king would be the king of kings.

My opponent has not made any argument supporting her case whatsoever.

I turn the debate over to Pro.
yoda878

Pro

Closing arguments:

Con says:

“a celebrity god would be a celebrity among gods,

How about a Celebrity among Celebrities?

Con says:

“Since any president is automatically well-known and influential, all presidents are essentially celebrities.” "Celebrity president"

Thanks for agreeing that the statement is correct, but actually I didn’t use any arguments using the fact that he is president. I only gave a few of the many ways he is a celebrity in other ways, other than being president, (that presidents in history have not done) but because he is president. “Celebrity President.”

Thank you con, for acceptance of this debate; it has been short and sweet. (The way I like it)

MouthWash

Con

"How about a Celebrity among Celebrities?"

That could work, too. You are supposed to be refuting, not adding to, my argument.

"Thanks for agreeing that the statement is correct, but actually I didn’t use any arguments using the fact that he is president. I only gave a few of the many ways he is a celebrity in other ways, other than being president, (that presidents in history have not done) but because he is president."

You did not provide any definitions. I provided them instead, and you did not make any attempt to dispute them. My definition of celebrity was "a person who has a prominent profile and commands a great degree of public fascination and influence in day-to-day media." Your examples could be called "attention getters," which have indeed gotten him famous in other ways. However, they have not given President Obama vastly more "public fascination and influence in media" in relation to what other presidents have had, like Bush or Clinton.

I quote myself: "Since all of the Presidents have been celebrities (fullfilling the definition), Pro must prove that Obama has a much greater prominent profile and commands a higher degree of public fascination and influence in day-to-day media than other Presidents, thus making him a "Celebrity President."

You did not disagree with this burden.

Since Pro has clearly failed the BOP, I urge a Con vote.
Posted by MouthWash 5 years ago
MouthWash
I suppose I deserve to lose for the cheap semantic tactics.
Posted by OberHerr 5 years ago
OberHerr
A Celebrity president is someone who acts like a celebrity, as a president. JFK is a good example.
Posted by MouthWash 5 years ago
MouthWash
>.<
The resolution was "celebrity president." Not a celebrity in other ways.
Posted by yoda878 5 years ago
yoda878
Sorry my coworker was singed in my bad that was me. not Dawg lol
Posted by dawg 5 years ago
dawg
I proved that I gave you a list of things no other President has done,(that makes him a celebrity) But I already said that in the debate.
Posted by yoda878 5 years ago
yoda878
Like I said tacky
Posted by MouthWash 5 years ago
MouthWash
The resolution was "celebrity president." A celebrity president would be a president vastly more famous than a regular president. You accepted that burden, but your arguments did not have anything to do with it.
Posted by yoda878 5 years ago
yoda878
The debate is over and i don't want to carry on the the comments that's tacky. You excepted after i told you it was "Just debating the statement." But either way i still showed how he was a celebrity different then other presidents b/4.
Posted by MouthWash 5 years ago
MouthWash
This debate was based on semantics. All presidents are celebrities. Whether or not I'm voted for, I won.
Posted by Stephen_Hawkins 5 years ago
Stephen_Hawkins
Mouthwash, I meant that all presidents are celebrities, so CON cannot win. There is a fair few responses to this that can work, but it'd put one in a very good position. Still, you made no argument, so...
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 5 years ago
RoyLatham
yoda878MouthWashTied
Reasons for voting decision: the associations with George Clooney, Oprah, and other A-list celebrities make President Obama a standout among presidents, featured in "day-to-day media."
Vote Placed by OberHerr 5 years ago
OberHerr
yoda878MouthWashTied
Reasons for voting decision: Counter VB 1dustpelt and Veritas. If you want to tie it, then vote 0 points to both sides.
Vote Placed by bossyburrito 5 years ago
bossyburrito
yoda878MouthWashTied
Reasons for voting decision: The resolution was "Obama is a Celebrity President", not "Obama is the Biggest Celebrity President." Also, Pro used sources.
Vote Placed by 1dustpelt 5 years ago
1dustpelt
yoda878MouthWashTied
Reasons for voting decision: There obviously is a misunderstanding of definitions. Tie this.
Vote Placed by imabench 5 years ago
imabench
yoda878MouthWashTied
Reasons for voting decision: pro met his BOP to show that Obama is a celebrity president but i am awarding all other points to the con since pro's spelling was atrocious and nobody else seems to care.
Vote Placed by ConservativePolitico 5 years ago
ConservativePolitico
yoda878MouthWashTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro proved that Obama is more of a "celebrity" than other presidents because other presidents did not appear in gossip flicks nor did they appear on shows such as the View. Also, Pro used various sources to make his point clear and factual. Con used no sources and barely refuted Pro's arguments instead trying to play a weak schematics ploy. Pro wins.
Vote Placed by Stephen_Hawkins 5 years ago
Stephen_Hawkins
yoda878MouthWashTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con showed problems (only just) with PRO's definition. PRO basically had to state that "Obama is more of a celebrity than other presidents" and compare to other presidents. Alas, he did not.
Vote Placed by InVinoVeritas 5 years ago
InVinoVeritas
yoda878MouthWashTied
Reasons for voting decision: Definitional battle... Tie this.
Vote Placed by 16kadams 5 years ago
16kadams
yoda878MouthWashTied
Reasons for voting decision: Even the definition clash made pro win still both fit his argunment. He also showed he made celeberety lists. He shows up in those magazines too.
Vote Placed by Greyparrot 5 years ago
Greyparrot
yoda878MouthWashTied
Reasons for voting decision: Somehow, pro got Con to present an argument supporting the bop...unusal.