Logan94
TheEpicMinecrafter

Obama is mainly responsible for the 17 trillion dollar debt

Logan94

Con

i do not believe Obama is mainly responsible. My opponent may present his argument in the first round. In this debate you may refute the opponents facts at any time but still must meet BoP
TheEpicMinecrafter

Pro

It is my pleasure to be debating Logan94. While this debate does not have much to talk about, I still hope for a great discussion.
My opponent is false in saying that Obama is not the main reason for the debt. Under Obama, the national debt has grown by more than $6 trillion in four years, the largest increase under any president in U.S. history. By comparison, Under President George W. Bush, the debt grew $4.9 trillion in 8 years. Much of the national debt comes from Obama. None of the other presidents have had caused this much debt. If he didn't cause the debt, then who did?

http://www.breitbart.com......
Logan94

Con

I thank pro for accepting this debate, i also hope for a great discussion.

The constitution will be my main piece of evidence for this debate. I believe congress to be responsible for the 17 trillion dollar debt

Article 1, Section 8.1: "Congress shall have the power to lay and collect taxes,duties, imposts and excises, to pay the debts. and provide for the common defense and general welfare."

This shows that congress is the body of power that is responsible to pay the debt in the United States

Article 1, Section 8.2: Congress shall have the power "to borrow money on the credit of the United States"

This shows that congress is also the body of power responsible for borrowing money

The president of the United States has no power when it comes to national debt, therefore president Obama can not be blamed. The presidency has often become the scapegoat for the problems that congress is actually responsible for. So the debt did accumulate in the years which Obama was president, but he did not borrow any money, congress did
TheEpicMinecrafter

Pro

The main purpose of the debt was Obama's idea of sending soldiers to Afghanistan, and they had to spend lots of money on supplies, guns, and ammo. Also, if you could please read the article I have listed again, because I sent the wrong link the first time.

Sources: http://www.breitbart.com...
Logan94

Con

I appreciate the quick response, makes for a more entertaining debate

Yes the moving of troops to Afghanistan was costly to the United States, and yes President Obama did use executive powers to move troops into Afghanistan, but that does not mean that the money for the war had to be borrowed from other countries, we could have paid for it. Also, after 90 days of conflict without war being declared congress has to approve the actions taken by the president by a vote. This means that congress never ended the Afghanistan war either. It is there responsibility to borrow money and if the war was costing to much they should have ended it. This is congresses responsibility not the presidents.
TheEpicMinecrafter

Pro

I understand my opponent's point of view, and yes, it is Congress' decision to approve the president's idea. I must make a few objections. If Obama never mentioned for the troops to go to Afghanistan, then they wouldn't have gone into the debt either. Also, Obama plans to take his troops back in 2014. Congress can't do anything without the president's approval either. His cabinet also assists his decision. However, the final decision ultimately rests with him.

Sources: http://answers.yahoo.com...
Logan94

Con

my opponent agrees that it is congresses decision to approve the presidents military actions. So if it was costly it is congresses responsibility to stop it. We did not have to borrow to fund the war in afghanistan. The United States could have paid for it but congress decided to borrow money, not Obama. Also this war is not a majority of the defecit gained under Obama. Congress is responsible for borrowing and paying debt to other nations. I have proven this already.
TheEpicMinecrafter

Pro

Congress cannot do things without the president's permission. The president can veto the Congress' decision. In some rare cases, Congress can over rule the president, but that has never happened since George W. Bush was president. Obama has never gotten overrode in the 4 years he has been president. The president must approve of things from the Congress, so it is mainly Obama' s decision, and this is why Obama is responsible for most of the 17.4 trillion dollar debt.
Logan94

Con

Congress can and does things without the presidents approval. It is there power to borrow money, and pay the debt. Congress does not need the presidents approval to use powers granted to them in the constitution. So as i have proven the debt is the fault of congress not the president. The president has no power when it comes to borrowing or paying debt. The only time congress needs the presidents approval is during legislation passage. The presidents signs or it goes back to congress to see if they can override the veto, but this is only in the legislative process. Congress can use powers granted to them in the constitution. The presidential office has become a scapegoat, this debt burden falls upon congress, as i have proven

Vote Con
TheEpicMinecrafter

Pro

First of all, Obama has failed to convince Congress to enact some of his proposed policies — such as higher taxes on the wealthy — that likely would have reduced the deficit and thus kept the debt growing more slowly.

But more to the point, a major factor in the debt explosion has been the decline in government revenues because of the recession. One could argue — and Romney might — that the laggard recovery is the result of Obama’s policies and thus he should also get all of the blame for the decline in revenues. But the chart below shows that the decline in revenues (the red line) began at start of the recession — a year before Obama took office.

The chart also shows an explosion of spending (blue line) began at the start of the recession — that is the result of automatic stabilizers such as unemployment insurance kicking in. The spending kept going up, and a good chunk of that is Obama’s responsibility. Still, as the chart shows, it is not such a simple answer to pin this all on Obama’s “policies.” “President Obama has both increased non-defense discretionary spending and failed to propose any serious reforms to entitlement spending.” Fehrnstrom, a reporter, said.

(research.stlouisfed.org)

Sources: http://www.washingtonpost.com...

I have also noticed that my opponent doesn't have any sources, so I can't confirm whether his statements are true or not.

Vote Pro!

Posted by Logan94 4 years ago
Logan94
Well it's fairtoo your opponent when you do that. Poor conduct
Posted by TheEpicMinecrafter 4 years ago
TheEpicMinecrafter
Logan94, I thought we weren't debating anymore. Please be quiet and let the voters do their job.
Posted by Logan94 4 years ago
Logan94
Wow, way to present evidence in the last round. Also my source was the constitution, so probably more reliable than yours
Posted by adontimasu 4 years ago
adontimasu
What do you mean by "responsible" for it? As in, did he cause all of it? Of course not - that'd be absolutely ridiculous. Is he the reason it is at 17 trillion now?