theunionforever61
flame4321x

Obama is not a Muslim

theunionforever61

Pro

Pretty straightforward debate. The burden of proof shall be on Con, since they are "accusing" Obama of being a Muslim. First round for acceptance only. Please only serious debaters, thanks.
flame4321x

Con

I negate.

(disclaimer: I believe my opponent meant to say that Obama is not Muslim, not that Obama is not a Muslim. The latter of the two would imply that being Muslim is somehow bad, and you are reduced from being a human to being "a Muslim". For the sake of the debate, and for the humanity of all the Muslim people out there, lets assume this was just a typo)

Viewers, what you should use to weigh today's debate is Skepticism, which is the belief and philosophy that we can never be sure of anything, except for certain things such as knowing oneself exists. What this means, and why this is important, is that this philosophy shows that we can never know anything for sure, which is important because it allows us to always know the exact facts, and anything with any legitimate unbiased doubt in it is not considered fact. If you wish to inform yourself more on this, you can read more at http://plato.stanford.edu....

An observation of the round is that because the wording of the resolution assumes that Obama is not a Muslim, it is the burden of the affirmative to prove that Obama is indeed not Muslim in any way.

Another observation of the round is that because of the philosophy of Skepticism, we cannot assume anything is always true. Therefore, in order for the negative to win this round, I must give only one reasonable rejection to Obama being a Muslim that could create even the slightest doubt.

Because of my prior value and observations, I have only one contention.
Contention 1: Obama could be Muslim.
The only proof that we have against Obama being Muslim is his own word, even though the facts show that he attended a Muslim school in Hawaii when he lived there in his early life for multiple years, and his close relatives were Muslim. In fact, his very father, was a very active Muslim, and he was said to have a lot of influence over him. At one point, we can conclude that Obama was indeed Muslim. That is an undeniable fact. Whether or not he changed religion is ambiguous, and according to the value of Skepticism, must be dropped immediately. Have I created any, even the smallest amount of doubt in you? If you find yourself answering yes, or agreeing to any of my arguments, you can cast a negative ballot immediately.
Thank you, and have a good day.
theunionforever61

Pro

You have the burden of proof in this debate because:
1. Obama has repeatedly denied that he was or is a Muslim. He does not need to prove that he is not a Muslim, and in any case that is impossible, since you and his detractors can always argue he is lying. You need to prove he is a Muslim right now, not that he was for a little while and then he gave it up like you say. The burden proof lies with the accuser. You are accusing Obama of being a Muslim.
2. I said very clearly in my opening introduction "The burden of proof shall be on Con". If you can't accept this rule, then please don't accept my debate.

Now moving on to your arguments:

" his close relatives were Muslim. In fact, his very father, was a very active Muslim, and he was said to have a lot of influence over him"

His father and many of his relatives were Muslim, yes, but Obama did not have much contact with his father since his parents divorced when he was young and he lived with his mother. So, no his father could not have influenced him that much. Much of Obama's extended family on his father's side was also Muslim, of course. But again, Obama had little contact with them since most of them lived in Africa.

"he attended a Muslim school in Hawaii when he lived there in his early life for multiple years"

Obama did not attend a Muslim school in Hawaii. I think you are getting confused with the allegation that he attended a madrassa (muslim school) in Indonesia. Obama lived in Indonesia with his mother and stepfather from 1967 to 1971. Indonesia is a Muslim country, and Obama attended a public school there, which taught a small amount of religion. CNN, the Associated Press, the Los Angeles Times and the Chicago Tribune investigated by visiting the school and interviewing former teachers and students who were there at the same time as Obama. These investigations found a public school where students wore Western clothing and prayer was a small part of the curriculum. The Chicago Tribune reported the school was "so progressive that teachers wore miniskirts and all students were encouraged to celebrate Christmas." http://www.politifact.com...

"At one point, we can conclude that Obama was indeed Muslim. That is an undeniable fact"
No it's not since you have failed to provide a shred of credible evidence that supports this claim

Obama said in his memoir "It was because of these newfound understandings that I was finally able to walk down the aisle of Trinity United Church of Christ on 95th Street in the Southside of Chicago one day and affirm my Christian faith,"

Deny this as a lie if you want, but I'm just presenting a piece of evidence that Obama has a deep conviction in his Christian faith.

In conclusion, con has failed to prove a single point and in fact mixed up where Obama supposedly attended a Muslim school.
flame4321x

Con

flame4321x forfeited this round.
theunionforever61

Pro

I extend my argument until my opponent returns, since it would be unfair for me to post new arguments while he misses an entire round.
flame4321x

Con

flame4321x forfeited this round.
theunionforever61

Pro

theunionforever61 forfeited this round.
flame4321x

Con

flame4321x forfeited this round.
Posted by cwt002 2 years ago
cwt002
@theunionforever61 I saw that you said you would never criticize Islam or the Muslim people but do you criticize Hamas or ISIS. I do not mean anything offensive just curious. Also, do you believe in the Mecci or Medini verses of the Qu'ran. Sorry if anything is misspelled.
Posted by flame4321x 2 years ago
flame4321x
Aww man sorry, I was on a service trip in Haiti, thanks a ton for not making new arguments when I was gone, and btw I dont actually think Obama is a Muslim, I just wanted to try and test out my Skepticism argument in a trial debate, and see how it works. Thanks again, and Ill finish up the debate in the next round. I sure hope no one votes for me, cuz my side in general is blatantly untrue (and yes go ahead to use this against me in round, idc).
Posted by theunionforever61 2 years ago
theunionforever61
I meant no offense when I said "Obama is a Muslim". I am a Muslim myself, and would never criticize Islam or the Muslim people. I do apologize if I caused offense to anyone.
Posted by theunionforever61 2 years ago
theunionforever61
Well, I am liberal on economic issues, but I am pretty conservative on social issues.
Posted by Jifpop09 2 years ago
Jifpop09
Your a conservative democrat?! Waw :D