hdbrill
The_Crusader

Obama is not a socialist

The_Crusader

hdbrill

Pro

Firstly, I would like to thank my opponent for having this debate today. Barack Obama in our media is portrayed by GOP propagandists as being a "socialist". However, Obama is clearly not a socialist, but rather someone who believes in the true powers of capitalism. One point that seems to come up when debating whether or not Barack is a socialist is his health care reform. This is clearly not a socialist policy because the government is essentially telling you what to buy. Now, people freak out when they hear this, but think about- government regulation is present in our everyday lives. For an example, the government makes us buy car insurance, so why can't it force us to buy health insurance. Also, under the current health care regulations, the government is not selling health insurance to the masses, thus health insurance hasn't gone public. People still buy health insurance from private companies, this furthering Barack Obama's capitalist views. I hope you consider these opening points throughout the debate. (Just a note, this is just my intro, so I didn't include definitions...) It would please me to wish my opponent good luck!
The_Crusader

Con

I'd like to first thank my opponent for starting a unique debate and would like to wish him the best of luck. I'll begin by constructing my own case then go to address my opponent's.

DEFINITIONS:

Socialism:a theory or system of social organization that advocates the vesting of the ownership and control of the
means of production and distribution, of capital, land, etc., in the community as a whole.
Communism: a theory or system of social organization based on the holding of all property in common, actual ownership
being ascribed to the
community as a whole or to the state.

CONSTRUCTIVE:

1.) Obama has been continuously exposed to socialism and has displayed interest in it.
Obama has been raised, since infancy, with extremely polarized exposure to socialist view. In fact, as is asserted by the Telegraph (1), Obama's mentor in his childhood, Frank Marshall Davis, has ties to communist values(more polarized version of socialism). This article also suggests that such teachings could have led to a socialist influence upon Obama's decision making. Furthermore, "He went to socialist conferences at Cooper Union and African cultural fairs in Brooklyn and started lecturing his relatives until they worried he'd become "one of those freaks you see on the streets around here."(2). In addition, Obama has supported ACORN, a very anti-capitalist group, the Communist Party USA eagerly supported Obama(3), and was raised with constant socialist values surrounding him, with his father writing about extremely socialist ideas, and his brother Roy and cousin Odinga being avid supporters of socialism. Moreover, Obama elected 45 czars into congress, the socialists namely being Van Jones, Anita Dunn, John Holdren, Cass Sunstein, Ron Bloom, and Elizabeth Warren.

2.) Obama has socialist values
It is recognized that simply being exposed to socialism does not make one a "socialist", ergo let's look at some of Obama's socialist ideas.
a.) Taxes
Obama, when asked about his financial plan, commented that he was going to raise his taxes to quote ‘spread the wealth around'. If that is not telling enough of Obama's socialist intents, then I don't know what is. Jim Guirard, Obama's desire to "share the wealth" is a classic example of taking money from the proper owner and transferring ownership of it to the state, so that the state can decide what to do with it. That's socialism."
b.) Alternative Energy
While I do not contend that alternative energy is necessarily bad, Obama's approach to it is clearly socialist. Socialist values(as is shown in my dicitonary.com definition^), believe in strong federal control on the everyday lives of people. Obama has intensely gone against petroleum, and extremely biased decisions considering green energy and the destruction of gasoline. Examples being the 6 month moratorium on offshore drilling(not SO much a bad decision), the inhibition of offshore drilling near Alaska, the denial of the Keystone pipeline, and his disapproval of drilling in Canada. If this does not serve as testament enough of his socialist ideas, there is the example of his national push practically mandating ethanol in gasoline which had a minimal amount of support from the people.
3.) Health Care(see rebuttals v)

REBUTTLE:(I recognize that was only your intro so I will just attack some ideas you presented)
"This is clearly not a socialist policy because the government is essentially telling you what to buy."
That's just it-the government telling you what to do is(to a certain extent), socialist. For example, the government mandating that you pay for free health care for illegal immigrants, free abortion services, and forced participation in abortions by members of the medical profession, would be considered a socialist idea. And, as enumerated by Michael Connelly, retired attorney and one of the few to have read the entirety of the health care bill, that is exactly what "ObamaCare" would do. (5) This point furthered, Michael states that ObamaCare would polarize the necessity of private companies on federal action, effectively "force[ing] private insurance companies out of business and put[ing] everyone into a government run system." This is exactly where Obama's health care plan crosses the boundary of social program to socialist program. This is because socialism minimizes the private sectors role and, ultimately, disproportionately skews the public sector so that everyone is very dependant on it. Ergo, Obama's stance on health care establishes a socialist agenda, clearly displaying that Obama is a SOCIALIST. I would like to once again thank my opponent and wish him the best of luck. Vote NEG!

(1) http://www.telegraph.co.uk...
(2) Source: H Kennedy, NY Daily News
(3) https://my.barackobama.com...
hdbrill

Pro

hdbrill forfeited this round.
The_Crusader

Con

Extend my arguments. Vote NEG
hdbrill

Pro

hdbrill forfeited this round.
The_Crusader

Con

Extend all my arguments. Obama IS a socialist. Vote NEG
hdbrill

Pro

hdbrill forfeited this round.
The_Crusader

Con

AFF forfeited three times. Extend all my arguments. Vote NEG
Posted by YYW 4 years ago
YYW
hdbrill, actually it's not, but whatever. I don't really feel like giving you a lesson in political philosophy or the proper way to distinguish statements of fact from debatable resolutions.
Posted by 1dustpelt 4 years ago
1dustpelt
Waiting for Ron-Paul to come and accept.
Posted by hdbrill 4 years ago
hdbrill
Well, I welcome your anti-tea party political views. However, this is a debatable resolution.
Posted by YYW 4 years ago
YYW
I'm getting sick of non-debatable resolutions. No. Obama is not a socialist, by any accurate account of socialism.

*waits for idiot tea-bagging neanderthal to accept this debate*
Vote Placed by KADET_4N6 4 years ago
KADET_4N6
hdbrillThe_CrusaderTied