Curtis12
BellumQuodPacis

Obama will not save the world, no matter how much we would like him to!

Curtis12

Curtis12

Pro

President Obama has been branded as not only the United States' savior, but the world'. I, however, believe that Obama isn't the savior everyone is expecting. He is only one man fighting two war and various domestic issues, which he is unlikely to fully solve. Now, when he was elected I was rather content as it certainly was an historic moment and I than sat back and realized the enormity of his supporters. They believe in him, they believe he will not only change the world, but save it as well. I feel he won't. I feel as though that its only smoke and mirrors and everyone will still be encapsulated by him, even when he leaves office. In my opinion, anyone could have replaced Bush, he didn't have to be black.
BellumQuodPacis

Con

I thank my opponent for instigating this debate. Not only will this be my first serious debate, but my first serious debate even since usafkid1121, so this shall be fun.

Since you really haven't made any arguments thus far, I will refute what you have given me and provide the definition for this debate as you have not.

Definitions:

1) Save - to preserve or guard from injury, destruction, or loss
[http://www.merriam-webster.com...] Definition C

2) World - a part or section of the earth that is a separate independent unit
[http://www.merriam-webster.com...] Definition 9

Again, I reiterate, because the instigator did not set definitions for this debate, I have. Therefore, the resolution shall be interpreted as this: "Obama will not preserve, guard, or protect a part (or section) of earth, no matter how much we would like him to!"

I await my opponents first argument on this resolution abiding by my definitions.
Curtis12

Pro

In regards to the definitions provided, Obama will not serve as a savior. He has much too many issues on both his domestic and foreign agendas. On one hand, he has health care, the economy and global warming to deal with, while he has three wars to contend with. In regards to the definition, in my opinion, Obama won't preserve, guard or protect a part or section (the U.S). He has simply too many issues to contend with and he is only one man.
BellumQuodPacis

Con

I thank my opponent for his timely manner in responding to this debate.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Refutation
"In regards to the definitions provided, Obama will not serve as a savior."

This is completely incorrect. You state that he "will not" serve as a savior. Yo usay it for the future, but he has already become a savior in many people's eyes. As a matter of fact, a politics website asctually calls him openly "Obama the Savior" and labels him to become the greatest president this country may see. (http://www.realclearpolitics.com...)

"He has much too many issues on both his domestic and foreign agendas."

He may have too much on his political agenda both Domestic and Foreign, but this is simply false. On domestic affairs, more specifically, economically, he has been showing positive signs. He passed and authorized legislation that bailed out in-the-red companies and prevented high-end corporations from declaring bankruptcy. {http://en.wikipedia.org...}
In domestic affairs, he has also become a large delegate towards the passing of healthcare legislation, which was his idea, to help reform the healthcare industry for the better well-being of Americans. As a matter of fact, should all 60 Democratic Senators remain loyal to the party, then the bill is expected to pass.

"He is only one man fighting two war and various domestic issues, which he is unlikely to fully solve."
This couldn't be more wrong. He is actually NOT the only man fighting this war on two fronts, and has lots of support from the neighboring international community. Support includes:
United States
United Kingdom
Australia
Poland
Denmark
Romania
That's just the Iraq War. In Afghanistan:
NATO - ISAF
United States
United Kingdom
Canada
Germany
France
Italy
Poland
Australia
Spain
Netherlands
Denmark
34 other countries
Afghanistan

So as you can see, Obama is not the only man fighting this war (both literally and realistically).

Moving on to your round 2 argument:
It may seem too much but as I just said, he's accomplishing them.

"On one hand, he has health care, the economy and global warming to deal with, while he has three wars to contend with."
I just peroved to you how he is handling these three things and doing them successfully.

"In regards to the definition, in my opinion, Obama won't preserve, guard or protect a part or section (the U.S). He has simply too many issues to contend with and he is only one man."

As I have just proven, one man, did and is accomplishing the goals he is setting.

Conclusion: With my opponents arguments being debunked, we can see it does not hold water. Essentially my contentions were, (1) President Obama is in fact called a savior in many people's eyes. (2) Obama is accomplishing both domestic and foreign affairs on his agenda.

I thank my opponent and await his round 3 argument.
Curtis12

Pro

Well than, in your first argument you state "he has already become a savior in many people's eyes," to which is a generalization. You have stated a very general claim, that "he is a savior in many people's eyes."

"He may have too much on his political agenda both Domestic and Foreign, but this is simply false."
- No sir, your statement is simply false. First you state how Obama does have too much on both of his agendas but
than you assert that it is false, which is it ? Furthermore, you shouldn't quote Wikipedia has its users have the ability to edit the pages and some, if not the majority, of its pages are full of factual errors or a lack of citations. Actually, regarding the health care bill, the Democrats are quite divided on the issue and the Republicans are of course against it. Thus, if Obama has doubt and uncertainty in his own party, how is he possibly ever going to pass legislation.
http://www.nytimes.com...

Furthermore, you have illustrated that Obama has put forth an effort with regards to the war and health care, but you never mentioned anything about global warming and therefore you have not proved to me that he is handling these three things and doing them successfully.

Moreover, with regards to Obama's new Afghanistan policy, he plans to deploy 30,000 more troops and hopes to withdrawal by July 2011. However, Secretary of Defense Gates suggests that July 2011 will not be the be all, end all of the withdrawal, it is only the beginning and will likely last for years. http://www.nytimes.com...

To conclude, Obama isn't as successful as one may think. He cannot find unity in his own party over health care, nor is he able to create a treaty in regards to global warming. Despite his meager efforts in Afghanistan, etc, the U.S will not be fully withdrawn for at least another 2 - 3 years.
BellumQuodPacis

Con

BellumQuodPacis forfeited this round.
Posted by Nails 7 years ago
Nails
Con would definitely have won minus the forfeit.
Posted by BellumQuodPacis 7 years ago
BellumQuodPacis
For him they are. for me no lol
Posted by raindrpdew 7 years ago
raindrpdew
whyarerounds 1 and 2 so skimpy?
Vote Placed by Curtis12 7 years ago
Curtis12
Curtis12BellumQuodPacisTied
Vote Placed by BellumQuodPacis 7 years ago
BellumQuodPacis
Curtis12BellumQuodPacisTied
Vote Placed by Nails 7 years ago
Nails
Curtis12BellumQuodPacisTied