Lee001
JP_Hatecraft

Obesity is not a disease, it's a choice.

Lee001
Started: 2/7/2015 Category: Games

Lee001

Pro

What is obesity? Obesity is a medical condition in which excess body fat has accumulated to the extent that it may have a negative effect on health, leading to reduced life expectancy and/or increased health problems http://en.wikipedia.org...

Many people use the excuse that the reason why they are obese, is because they have a "disease" I will be arguing that obesity is in fact a choice, not a disease.

Opponent in first round may state their argument.
Good luck!
JP_Hatecraft

Con

I thank the Pro for the interesting debate, as well as for allowing me to post my case round one. To make up for this if the Pro wants me to waive my final speech I will if I am told in their second speech. In addition I would like to note that as con and the person supporting the status quo, my opponent will bear the Burden of Proof.

I agree with the definition of obesity provided, but would like to insert a few more.

Disease:an illness that affects a person, animal, or plant : a condition that prevents the body or mind from working normally
http://www.merriam-webster.com...

Choice:the act of choosing : the act of picking or deciding between two or more possibilities
http://www.merriam-webster.com...;

Obesity is in fact a disease and not a choice. This is because it fits the definition of disease as it an ilness that affects a person, and ir prevents the body from working normally. It is not a choice, because one does not "choose" obesity. A person may make choices that lead to being obese, or even chose that they want to become obese, but the obesity itself is not a choice.

Even if you disagree with my analysis, you must also look back again to the definition of choice. Obesity, even if one did choose to become obese, would be an option, not a choice.

For all these reasons please vote Con.

Good luck to the Pro.

Lee001

Pro

There are many different definitions. Just because you choose a definition doesn't make you right.
Obesity most of the time is caused by excessive amount of calories.
People have choices, to be healthy or not. It's all up to them what they eat or don't eat, if they choose to exercise or not. They know if they eat unhealthy food more then likely they will gain more weight, compared to if they eat more healthy food they wont gain as much wait compared to junk food.
My claim:
1)Obesity is a preventable risk factor for other diseases and conditions, and is not a disease itself. Like smoking is a preventable risk factor for lung cancer and drinking is a preventable risk factor for alcoholism, obesity is a preventable risk factor for coronary heart disease, stroke, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, cancers (like endometrial, breast, and colon), high cholesterol, high levels of triglycerides, liver and gallbladder disease, incontinence, increased surgical risk, sleep apnea, respiratory problems (like asthma), osteoarthritis, infertility and other reproductive complications, complications during pregnancy and birth defects, and mental health conditions. [42] [36] Women who gain 20 pounds or more between age 20 and midlife double their risk of postmenopausal breast cancer. [36] For every 2 pound weight increase, the risk of developing arthritis rises 9-13%. [36].

2)Obesity is the result of eating too much. The suggested daily caloric intake for 31-50-year-olds is 1,800 calories for women and 2,200 calories for men. [7] In 2009-2010, 30-39-year-old women consumed an average 1,831 calories (which is 1.7% over the recommendation) while men of the same age consumed an average 2,736 calories per day (which is 22% over the recommendation). [3] The average American restaurant meal portion size is four times as large as portions in the 1950s and 96% of entrees at chain restaurants exceed dietary guidelines for fat, sodium, and saturated fat, with some almost exceeding daily intakes in one meal. [44] [45] The body is doing what it has evolved to do by converting excess calories into fat cells. The CDC recommends reducing consumption of sugar drinks (like sodas) and high-energy-dense foods to prevent and reduce obesity. [42] The Mayo Clinic states, "Having a diet that's high in calories, eating fast food, skipping breakfast, eating most of your calories at night, drinking high-calorie beverages and eating oversized portions all contribute to weight gain."

Sources http://obesity.procon.org...
JP_Hatecraft

Con

There are many definitions. However, we must have an agreed upon meaning of the resolution to debate. I believe my definitions are reasonable and encompass the meaning that they are suppossed it. You are also correct in that they don' make either of us right. Itis the way that they are used that wins debates.

My opponent claims that people have choices, whether to be healthy or unhealthy. That is very true. She points out that if they make unhealthy choices they will gain weight. This is also very true. However, this does not matter, as this does not mean obesity. Obesity is not being unhealthy, or having fat. Obesity is a medical condition. Obesity is not a choice, it is the result of a series of choices. The result is distinct from the choice.

Her claims merely expand upon the nature of becoming obese, they do not refute my points and they are rebutted by the points I have already made.

As you did not ask me to waive my final speech, I will not.

Good Luck to the Pro.
Lee001

Pro

My opponent con states that "Obesity is not being unhealthy, or having fat. Obesity is a medical condition. Obesity is not a choice, it is the result of a series of choices. The result is distinct from the choice."
He is right.

A person makes choices on a daily basis knowing the consequence, of eating unhealthy food, yet they still do it, knowing that their choice will effect their life in a negative way.
My opponent also states that "Obesity is not being unhealthy, or having fat" his claim is also incorrect.
So exactly why is con wrong? Well here is why Obesity is unhealthy: Obesity is the number one cause of type 2 diabetes. The chances of getting diabetes increases more than tenfold if your body weight is higher than normal. Diabetes do all the bad things to your body. It can give many problems to your eyes, kidneys, and heart.

Con has not made any of his points clear other than saying that it IS a disease but yet not backing it up with any facts.

Cancer is a disease, people don't choose to have cancer.
Obesity is not a disease, they choose to become obese by the food they consume.
Vote PRO!! :)
JP_Hatecraft

Con

My opponent has agreed tha Obesity is the result of choices, however has not rebutted the fact that this in itself makes it not a choice.

She points out people make choices that lead to obesity, and attempts to rebut my statement that obesity is not being unhealthy. However, it still stands. Obesity is a specific condition that can lead to unhealthy consequences. I am not saying that being obese isn't unhealthy, I'm just saying that obesity isn't unhealthiness itself. For example, a smoker can be unhealthy without being obese.

My opponent has said that I have not provided facts, but I have. Look to the definitions. Obesity fits all of the definitions for disease provided. It affects a person, animal, or plant and it is a condition that prevents the body or mind from working normally.

My opponent has also pointed out cancer, and that it is not a disease because the don't choose to get it. However, this is not true. If you agree with my opponents logic, then you must admit that people who work as painters chose to work with carcinogens http://www.inchem.org... therefore cancer is a choice. My opponent herself stated "Cancer is a disease". As we can see this is hypocritical and thus falls.

Vote Con!
Thanks to the Pro for the interesting debate, I enjoyed this one.
Posted by Lee001 2 years ago
Lee001
I used only 3 sources? I always cite my stuff.
Posted by BLAHthedebator 2 years ago
BLAHthedebator
Am I allowed to vote for purposes of plagiarism as well, even when it was not pointed out? Because Pro used one source yet according to their footnotes they have tons.
Posted by JP_Hatecraft 2 years ago
JP_Hatecraft
@ Dookieman I described how it fulfilled the definition of obesity provided. Please don't allow your previous opinions to affect your vote.

@bsh1 Obesity may or may not be voluntary. That is besides the point. "Voluntary" isn't the definition of choice.
Posted by JP_Hatecraft 2 years ago
JP_Hatecraft
@lannan 13 What did I not refute? Just curious.
Vote Placed by Dookieman 2 years ago
Dookieman
Lee001JP_HatecraftTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con is incorrect for saying that obesity fits the definition of a disease. Being obese does not prevent the body or mind from working normally. There are conceivable situations where an individual person might find the idea of being obese attractive, and thus choose to eat in a way that causes them to become obese. This debate was already stacked in Pro's favor due to this simple fact.
Vote Placed by bsh1 2 years ago
bsh1
Lee001JP_HatecraftTied
Reasons for voting decision: "Obesity is not a choice, it is the result of a series of choices." This statement by Con shoots himself in the foot. He essentially admits that obesity is brought about by the choices of a person, and is thus voluntary. I think more discussion should've been given to whether the terms choice and disease were mutually exclusive, but right now I am buying that they are, because that is how the topic was framed.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
Lee001JP_HatecraftTied
Reasons for voting decision: Sources are tied both used equal number of sources and equal number of scholarly sources. Spelling and grammar goes to Pro due to Con making quite a few grammatical errors. Conduct is tied. Arguments I'm going to have to give to Pro. This debate had a lot of grey area and Con does make some good arguments, however it is Pro that wins the debate in her third round thanks to a key argument that Con does not refute fully.
Vote Placed by mishapqueen 2 years ago
mishapqueen
Lee001JP_HatecraftTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con had good arguments, but did not distinguish clearly between the result of a choice and the choice itself. Pro had more sources and clear argumentation. Both sides did really well.
Vote Placed by Paleophyte 2 years ago
Paleophyte
Lee001JP_HatecraftTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con successfully argues that obesity is a consequence of a choice, not the choice itself. Pro's arguments are accurate but moot. All other points tied.