Obesity is the most pressing issue that faces America today.

Obesity is the most urgent problem facing America today.

Today, 36% of all adults ( people over 18 ) are obese! That is 1 in every three adults. what's more is that obesity rates have doubled from 1990 going from 15% to 30%! However, this major issue does not just affect adults. 2 out of every 9 kids ages 2-19 are obese.

This is not a problem that will just resolve its self, without immediate attention obesity rates could double again and again and again until the entire population is obese! Do you really want a society where the children of the future all can't do many of the physical activities that we enjoy today due to their weight?

Obesity is obviously the most urgent issue in America today.

As I stated above obesity affects 1 out of every three adults and 2 out of every 19 kids ages 2-19.

Obesity does more than just make a person look bigger / fatter, it also increases the risk of many serious health conditions such as the following ;

Heart disease in adulthood
very high blood pressure
high cholesterol
high blood sugar
type two diabetes
certain types of cancer
Respiratory Disease
Musculoskeletal Disorders
and finally, obesity has been linked to high depression rates.

My opponent has the burden of the proof. My opponent has not stated how or why obesity is the most pressing issue in America, he has only stated that it is a pressing issue.

As Con, I will take the opposite stance. A recent Gallup Poll reported what Americans thought what was the most important problem in America today. The results are shown below[1]:

Trend: What do you think is the most important problem facing this country today? (open-ended)

As we see above, obesity wasn't even on the list. The economic issue Americans thought as most important was unemployment/jobs and non-economic Americans thought as most important was dissatisfaction with the government.

Let's take another poll. What Americans thought as the top five "Most Important" U.S. problems are listed below[2]:

Recent Trend in Top Five "Most Important" U.S. Problems
Now that we have an understanding of what the American population thinks, let's go on to the why and how. Obesity is an issue, but it is nothing compared to the United States's debt crisis, struggling economy, poverty rate, war relations, etc. My opponent has yet to prove how obesity is more of an issue then all of these things. Since my opponent hasn't brought up a legitimate argument for me to rebut, the task of rebutting goes to my opponent.

Oh wow... yeah idont hunk I'm prepared for this I'm just going to forfeit... that was a really nice job by the way...

Thanks. Vote Con.
Posted by MUSA 2 years ago
Obesity. The word in it's self implies a person who is fat. Gluttony, is one cause . Lack of exercise is another. Glandular problems, is another one. The first and second mentioned, can be controlled by the person. I blame it all on technology. People need to eat more veggies, and fruits, otherwise this current generation will die young. No healthcare, and you die right ? 2 young person's died when they couldn't get there tooth pulled because of lack of Insurance. That is sad, and f*** the doctors who wouldn't save there lives, shame on them big time. For an extraction ? Come on. Can't they write that off at tax time ?
Posted by DebateKing2112 2 years ago
Able not aw sorry
Posted by DebateKing2112 2 years ago
Hematite12 when everyone in the world is obese who will have the ability to do anything about it? Sure if we fix those things it could make our economy better (increasing obesity rates) increase our focus on developing newer technology once again increasing obesity rates. By that point most of our country is obese no one can actually do anything transportation gets substantially harder due to size and weight limits. So that brings up a whe host of new problems that we would need to solve but wouldn't be aw to because the number of healthy people who could actually do things would be so limited.
Posted by Hematite12 2 years ago
Right, forget about fiscal and monetary policy. And conservation of resources. And our total dependency on countries like China. And our lack of energy independence. And health care.
Vote Placed by travis18352 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: pro forfited the debate but i feel con made more convincing arguments