jmarciniak
vpagnini

Obesity

vpagnini

jmarciniak

Con

I think that obesity is a serious problem in society today. There are many children in elementary school that are obese and eat tons of food a day. I think that the problem is there parents don't control their diet. Parents should be responsible for giving their children three healthy meals a day and maybe one unhealthy snack a day. If parents did that, then their children would be at a healthy weight. Parents have a huge role in controlling whether their child becomes obese or not, and I believe that obesity is something that can be controlled.
vpagnini

Pro

Although over eating is a huge aspect of obesity, people should be aware that for some people, food intake has nothing to do with their weight. In many cases, it is a legitimate health disorder. For people with diabetes, it is mandatory to eat certain foods at certain times. Before judging someone immediately because of their weight, you need to contemplate the possibilities. Also, metabolism contributes to obesity. Some people are born to eat whatever they want, and some gain weight from the littlest thing. Food is not the only catalyst to obesity.
jmarciniak

Con

I do agree with that, but there are other arguments for this too. I think that kids should be pushed to be active in various activities such as sports. This will let the kids burn off some energy, while at the same time burning some calories too. Exercise has never hurt anyone. It doesn't have to be a lot of exercise, and you can even do it in a fun way, such as swimming in a pool in the summer.
vpagnini

Pro

yes, exercise is important. I guess what my main concern is people's assumption's about obese people. If you see someone over weight, do not assume its because they over eat. If you see someone thin, do not assume it's because they are healthy. The idea of being over weight has misled people into judging "fat" people.
jmarciniak

Con

Yes, that is all valid information, but not everyone is judgmental of others. Sometimes, a person is quick to judge, but once you get to know them, they find out the truth. Even if you can't control your health issues, there are still ways to thin out. If you need to eat for diabetes, you can go to the gym after school or just go for a jog around the neighborhood. Although people with diabetes have to eat certain things at certain times, it does not refrain them from exercising and then furthermore eating healthy at times where they can eat healthy.
vpagnini

Pro

I think that people are judged by how they look, not their actions and that's where my main concern is. People judge fatter people and tend to push them away because of how social media shows the "average person." Models are shown tall and thin and unfortunately, not everyone is made that way. There are some skinny people that are just unhealthy as obese people, due to their own different diets.
jmarciniak

Con

Skinny people also have the chance to gain weight by eating more and exercising less. But on the other hand it is also possible for obese people to eat less and exercise more. Anorexia and obesity are both terrible sicknesses but there are many ways to cure those sicknesses.
vpagnini

Pro

But some people are so sick that they don't have the energy or desire to help themselves get healthier. If you don't have the motivation to get yourself better, then you will never lose that weight.
jmarciniak

Con

That is true, but there are supporters of those people, such as family members who help encourage those people to get better. There are personal trainers in gyms and there are friends that are willing to help their other friends get better. In conclusion, I believe that anyone who is obese has the chance to get themselves better and back to a normal weight by eating healthier, exercising, and having support from family/friends.
vpagnini

Pro

In my conclusion, I believe that overweight people should not be judged for their weight because there may be a reason behind that of why they are like that. There are various health reasons where that individual cannot control their weight and are too sick to exercise. People should not be judged by their looks.
Posted by ABlack88 3 years ago
ABlack88
Obesity is more of a problem when it's caused by over eating or an unhealthy diet, so for this case our society could do more to combat the issue.

-xoxo Austin Black ;)
Posted by ogilviemsc2014 3 years ago
ogilviemsc2014
I agree that it is a problem, but I think as country we could do more about it.
Posted by tessmckee 3 years ago
tessmckee
I think that both debaters make very valid points. People should not judge one another on how they look unless they know their whole story. I do think that parents can play a role in childhood obesity. The parents should be well educated in what is good or bad for the child to eat. It is important to keep the child healthy an active so they can live long lives.
Posted by TetsuRiken 3 years ago
TetsuRiken
Elementary school kid get crap tons of food and high school students get vary little food
Vote Placed by TetsuRiken 3 years ago
TetsuRiken
jmarciniakvpagniniTied
Reasons for voting decision: I hate people who assume that's someone's fat from food.
Vote Placed by dtaylor971 3 years ago
dtaylor971
jmarciniakvpagniniTied
Reasons for voting decision: I couldn't read what this debate was about too much, but I still was able to cast a vote.
Vote Placed by SloppyJoe6412 3 years ago
SloppyJoe6412
jmarciniakvpagniniTied
Reasons for voting decision: To begin with, the debate terms were not stated very clearly -it's not obvious what Con proposed, so my opinion is based on the position that Con took on his first round, assumed to be the issue at stake here. Con stated that obesity is a serious problem and deserves to be treated as such, and I agree with this. Pro stated that obese people does not deserve to be judged harshly, which is true in some cases but not in some others, and in any case it does not really address the issue of whether obesity is a serious problem or not.