Objective Reality Must Exist

I will be arguing that yes, an objective reality does exist and can be discerned. My opponent will argue that no, an objective reality does not exist, or that it cannot be discerned.

Objective Reality - A reality that exists outside of personal beliefs, whims or opinions.

Discern - To recognize or discover.

First round is for acceptance, or if you'd like, you may put forward the opening argument. I hope for a good debate!

I'm practicing arguments and I don't know what you mean. I'm giving this a shot! :) I think our personal beliefs on some topic may not exist. For example, in religion some people believe God is real and atheists don't. Both try to push views on others, yet none prevail, maybe at arguments, but both can be blind out of ignorance to reason. Topics doesn't have to be religion it could be anything from dogs jumping to animal rights to Gay rights to racism to religion to politics. I'm doing this argument on purpose to learn more!

Thank you for accepting the debate! This is my first, so I apologize if I don't follow the etiquette very well.

The argument for objective reality - that is, external truths - is simple. It can be shown through asking simple questions which I will demonstrate.

The first question would be, is there an objective reality?

If you answer yes, then all is well. If you answer no, then a number of following questions can be asked. If you answer no, I would ask, is that objectively true? Is it true that there is no objective reality? If it is, then an objective statement has been made concerning reality, which is that it is objectively true that reality is subjective.

Or perhaps a could ask, is there an answer to the first question? If you say yes there is, and the answer to the first question is no, then you have made another objective statement, that yes, there is a definite answer to the first question.

As perhaps a slightly weaker but supportive argument, even if the universe could somehow be subjective, if it was truly subjective, than wouldn't, subjectively, my belief in an objective universe be valid?

This is a basic but I believe very strong proof of objective reality. I look forward to seeing my opponent's response.

I don't understand objective reality yet as I just came across it. Can you give more examples? Let's say, I want a German shepherd in the future it's a dream, my objective. Perhaps, getting through college is another example of an objective reality? I say the only way it's real is you work hard enough to get. If you don't work towards your objectives objective reality ain't real.

Objective has more than one definition. When used as an adjective, objective describes something that is true regardless of personal opinion. Objective reality would denote a reality that exists regardless of whether one believes in it or not. Thanks for debating!

Equalityman forfeited this round.
Posted by debatewiz 2 years ago
I think I could win this debate. I have like 16 arguments to prove the existence of an external reality.
Posted by KhalifV 2 years ago
Con does not seem to be a very apt debater of epistemology, but I doubt pro can fulfill thus BoP
Vote Placed by bladerunner060 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeited and never really made a case. Pro's case wasn't necessarily that strong, but without a rebuttal, it does stand.