mzoldos
incredulous1972

Office 2007 vs 2010 vs 2013 Which is better?

Started: 10/20/2013 Category: Technology

mzoldos

Pro

Office 2013 is the newest Office 2010 the second but is it really worth getting the newest thing all the time? I used to think that and on somethings you should. Like perishable foods.
incredulous1972

Con

Well, I would like to debate this based on two perspectives:

(1) 2007 is clearly an inferior product to both 2010 and 2013. It lacks support for "recent files" and "recent places", and has no office 365 or sharepoint 365 compatibility at all.

(2) If you really want to talk about the most recent version of MS Office, I would like you to consider Office 365, which is their online based (cloud based) service. There are many compelling reasons for believing that both 2013 and 365 are superior products which clearly deserve careful study when considering updating one's office suite.

I will elaborate in later rounds.
mzoldos

Pro

Sorry, I forgot about Office 365.
incredulous1972

Con

Ok, so what's your position then?
mzoldos

Pro

I'm for it. But, I'm not for all the online sharing stuff.

Look up Ron Swanson
incredulous1972

Con

Well, here's the problem: You basically have two types of companies out there.

(1) small company that wants internet, a website, and basic services (like accounting etc). They typically can't afford to have their own IT department, and while they need a server solution in-house can't afford one or aren't technically savvy enough to run one. Office 365 fixes this by providing all of these on a fixed cost (per user/per month) basis, similar to paying for TV service and phone service.

(2) Large companies that have dedicated IT staff, their own infrastructrure, and their own servers. In the end, they can choose to keep spendin 6-8 figures every year just to keep their infrastructure up to date, or change the paradigm. Move to the cloud. Gain the ability to easily share files, have security, a way to collaborate, a way to form online teams, etc. And again, 365 fixes all of this.

For those times when 365 can't provide a solution (say mail merge operations in MS Word, or pivot charts in Excel), you need a full desktop client. And that's where Office 2010/13 come in. They tie in seamlessly with 365, and will even start and edit documents from within 365. So just from the perspective of cost and implementation, 365 is a winner.

Posted by incredulous1972 3 years ago
incredulous1972
i just migrated my company from our old email system to Office 365. We're still using 2010 on desktops, but as we're also using SharePoint online (which is part of Office 365 Enterprise Edition) we're going to use our own network servers less and less as we deposit our files onto 365 more and more.
Posted by mzoldos 3 years ago
mzoldos
Sorry, I have not looked much into Office 365. Sorry!