Merkihally
NaturesProphet

Oil usage over solar expenses

Started: 1/11/2014 Category: Technology

Merkihally

Con

I honestly believe the oil itself is the world's blood...I dislike the fact that we leech on it...eventually it will be fully consumed by our machines... I believe it would be a lot better if everyone went solar and stop the productions of oil companies and make it illegal to overuse the world's oil...

I dislike the fact that solar panels are so expensive yet so easy to make...you can easily make a solar panel yourself just spending 99$ alone...
Try Earth 4 Energy look it up for yourself but that's besides the point...

The point is....eventually this world will collapse to nothingness and it's all thanks to our oil vampire companies...
Why close your oil companies when you can change your company's products to mini solar panels and sell them cheap...real cheap...

We want this world to be our paradise not our intended doom...

Do you prefer oil powered or solar energy...I don't know about steam really...let's stick with these 2...
NaturesProphet

Pro

Although I am an environmental person myself, I accept this challenge and believe that Solar power will itself make the world collapse if implemented in the present, with present technologies. and the fact that "Why close your oil companies when you can change your company's products to mini solar panels and sell them cheap...real cheap...", well, mini solar panels will not make a desirable enough profit so no-one will start these companies in the first place, but if they do, then tell me how would a 50 watt solar panel power a whole house, let alone a hair-drier. my point is that solar panels are really weak and the whole energy industry will collapse:

people will lose jobs
cars will cease to exist (most of)
lots of people in developing countries which are just starting to use oil will be pushed back technologically by the cost of solar panels

solar panels are expensive because they contain silicon crystals, which are hard to grow and not many companies are growing them, it is not mass produced. even if they were they are really inefficient. it would take at least 40 years to get solar on a massive scale like oil, so we must use oil for now.

I have made my main point, not covering certain topics like hydrogen power, but letting you use this to counter.
Merkihally

Con

Merkihally forfeited this round.
NaturesProphet

Pro

NaturesProphet forfeited this round.
Merkihally

Con

Merkihally forfeited this round.
NaturesProphet

Pro

NaturesProphet forfeited this round.
Posted by Finalfan 3 years ago
Finalfan
This is a nerdy question: Ever play Final Fantasy 7? The social commentary in that game is right down your alley.
Posted by theta_pinch 3 years ago
theta_pinch
Speaking of nuclear waste; there might actually be a way to make it safer for the environment. By setting it in a very powerful positively charged electrical field; hypothetically you can increase the rate of decay and make it decay into a stable isotope.
Posted by kbub 3 years ago
kbub
Yeah, I'm with you. But we haven't been able to get solar to anything nearly profitable, and it's very temperamental. Nuclear is probably a feasible choice, but its waste is an environmental nightmare. Wind is even more expensive, less productive, more temperamental than solar, and also kills birds. "Steam" as you call it is hot water, so it's not really a resource. Usually a nuclear reactor (and I think coal, too) is used to create steam, in order to transfer the heat effectively.