lol101
bschnoz

Old Spongebob (PRO 1999-2005) is better than New Spongebob (CON 2006-now)

lol101

Pro

These rules must be followed. If you do NOT want to follow them, then do not bother accepting.

Rules:
-Must have concrete reasoning for your claim
-No equivocation
-Use episodes for sources
-Don't take it seriously if I refute your argument like I am supposed to
-Don't accept if you do not like this debate (I'm looking at you, Pipster229)
-Round 1 is acceptance
-Round 2 is arguing
-Rounds 3-4 are rebuttals
-Round 5 is concluding
bschnoz

Con

I will be Con in this debate. I personally have fonder memories of the older series, but I still think I can put up a good fight. I accept all rules and conditions.
lol101

Pro

New Spongebob is just plain awful.

New Spongebob has episodes like "Face Freeze," which was a plot about Spongebob and Patrick making zany faces. The jokes fall flat because the faces they make are hideous, the audio is annoying, and the humor itself is repetitive. New SpongeBob has a lot of gross-out humor that utterly destroys the plot, and makes the audience want to cringe. Spongebob gets a close-up splinter in "The Splinter," Squidward's toenail gets a close-up while getting ripped off of his foot in "House Fancy," everything about "Fungus Among Us" is outright cringe worthy, having gross scum take up most of the episode.

Dark and mean-spirited jokes are also played for laughs. In "Are You Happy Now?" two jokes about squidward committing suicide (jokes as in he is not really doing so, but it seems like it) are used. What about Plankton trying to get himself run over because of Mr. Krabs in "One Coarse Meal?" How about when Ms. Puff tried to murder Spongebob in "Demolition Doofus?"

Speaking of which, all of the characters causing trouble don't always get a form of comeuppance, they just get away with whatever crap they committ. Ms. Puff goes to jail in older episodes like "No Free Rides." Patrick is an awful friend in "Stuck In The Wringer" by injuring Spongebob, eating his ice cream, etc. Yet, we are still expected to feel sorry for Patrick after worsening the problem. And should I even mention the episode's terrible moral: "I guess crying does solve your problem after all!" Mr. Krabs is a greedy douche who fired Spongebob over a nickel in "Spongebob You're Fired!" And by the way ignorance doesn't work when it harms others deeply, without even showing that a character is trying to help another. Spongebob is so oblivious in "A Pal For Gary," that he gets mad at GARY for what PUFFY FLUFFY is doing, even when he can CLEARLY see that Gary is being EATEN ALIVE!!!

Now with the awful character value and atrocious so-called humor out of the way, I will dig into the plots. New Spongebob sometimes doesn't even try to have an interesting plot. "Face Freeze," the epitome of horror, is about making stupid faces. How do they execute it? Every main character (excluding Sandy) gets a stupid look on their face. That's all. No moral, no proper execution or somewhat tense climax, just shots of characters with hideous looks. Another example, which is "Squidward in Clarinetland," has a plot that is all over the place. Squidward wants to keep his clarinet protected, he hallucinates Spongebob stealing his clarinet, he locks Spongebob in a locker and sends him in a bus, and for some reason, Spongebob shows up at his presentation to give him his clarinet. Now Old Spongebob has bad continuity, but it only contradicts with logic from previous episodes. The contuinity error that has Spongebob somehow get to Squidward without explanation interferes with the episode's execution, making it seem lazy. Old Spongebob will explain how characters did illogical things. In "Idiot Box," Spongebob and Patrick revealed that they used their imagination to make weird and yet realistic sounds.

As for Old Spongebob, it packs more jokes per minute than your average New Spongebob episode. "Band Geeks" has some of my favorite jokes in Spongebob history, such as Patrick's line "Is Mayonnaise an instrument?" The jokes can be rather idiotic, but the good part is, the characters act stupid for a few jokes, and can be smart at other times. They don't act that way for the sake of being stupid or annoying. Some of what Spongebob and Patrick did are stupid things we would do every once in a while. Patrick riding hooks in "Hooky," that's what an ignorant young adult might do. He also gets a comeuppance for doing so. That's better than hearing Patrick make obnoxious noises with Spongebob. Old Spongebob also contains better plots that keep you intrigued, like "Ripped Pants." Yes, an episode with such a cheesy premise has a great plot. The episode is about how Spongebob fooled around too much, and that he blew it by taking it too far. It teaches kids not to fool around too much to win a friend's attention, and that you should just be yourself. The characters are great as well. They aren't always at their best, but they stay in character a lot more often than in newer episodes, and usually take responsibility for their actions.

I'm aware that New Spongebob has good episodes as well. However, there are a small amount of those good episodes compared to Old Spongebob. Season 6 is a good example. Almost every episode has a disgusting element, a mundane plot, and some terrible jokes. Anti-humerous gags and a lack of gags is what Season 6 has. Season 7 and 8 have worse episodes that exponentially go downhill when it comes to bad humor.

1]http://spongebob.wikia.com...
bschnoz

Con

bschnoz forfeited this round.
lol101

Pro

My opponent has forfeited Round 2
bschnoz

Con

Hi, I'm sorry about forfeiting earlier, I was sick and didnt have time to respond.
While I will admit that Old Spongebob DOES have some awesome episodes, I have to say that New Spongebob has a lot better episodes, plus the animation quality has gone up.
Episodes like Sand Castles in the Sand, Toy Store of Doom, Gone, House Fancy, and Shell Shocked are some of my All-Time favorite episodes, are those are only from Season 6, a season that you claim is awful.
I am also greatful for you giving me Season 5, which premiered in 2007, a season that gave us such great episodes as Friend or Foe, The Original Fry Cook, Sing a Song of Patrick, The Donut of Shame, The Battle of Bikini Bottom, The Two Faces of Squidward, and Spongehenge.
I won't waste all your time listing episodes, but your claim that New Spongebob has a smaller amount of good episodes must be refutted in some way. You say that the basis of New Spongebob is gross-out humor, but I seem to remember only a few episodes containing it.
The Old Spongebob episodes are typically based off of every day events, turned wacky by the characters reactions, while New Spongebob's episodes are usually based off of major events happening, and have a much bigger scale. The jokes are very similiar between them and I believe the reason that the old episodes are so well recieved is primarily because of nostalgia.

If you wish to restart the debate, with me as con, I am no longer sick and I will be able to respond on time, if not, I hope to recieve your response soon.
lol101

Pro

Thank you for replying.

Rebuttals:

"The animation quality has gone up"

I have given you Season 6, which is known to have the worst animation of any Spongebob season. Take for example: Patrick's belly drum scene. The animation constantly loops, which makes it look jarring.

My opponent has mentioned 5 episodes that he or she thinks are good. However, my opponent has not provided any reasonable arguments to back up why those episodes are of good quality. Gone was only an episode featuring Spongebob creepily bonding with a boat, and involves characters leaving for one day, thus, being unlikable in every single way. Toy Store of Doom was very cheesy and annoying, especially with the main characters being afraid of a wind-up robot. Shell Shocked was weak on humor, making the quality really light.

My opponent also mentions episodes from Season 5 that he or she believes is good. It suffers from the same problems as the last claim. This is simply a claim without reasoning. Why do you like these episodes? Listing episodes without sharing reasoning is a the equivalent of sharing an opinion of yours. I can't refute your non-existent reasoning, so I will not bother.

My opponent states that he or she doesn't remember a lot of gross-out humor in New Spongebob. Read my previous argument, there are quite a few of them. A Pal For Gary involves a gross monster trying to eat Gary, The Splinter involves... well, a splinter. It's grotesquely animated to the point where it can make the audience cringe.

Yes, Old Spongebob uses jokes referring to every day events. I must say that jokes you can relate to are what make a show succeed. If I can relate to a joke, I may laugh because I know exactly what they're talking about. New Spongebob doesn't do that as much. The characters act mentally disabled and stupid for a large portion of screen time. I have already used Face Freeze as an example. Boating Buddies is another episode that can be summed up as, "Spongebob is annoying, stupid, and is a creep that stalks Squidward". Major events may excite the audience, although it means nothing if it's executed horribly. Clash of Triton had a lot of action, but it's still a horrible episode because of the conflict being between a jerk and a jerk, and because of the terrible comedy, which involves a close-up of Spongebob's ugly face. Oh hey, another gross-out. What about Squidward getting his toenail ripped off in House Fancy?

The argument that fans only support Old Spongebob because of nostalgia is poor. This is only an assumption. I could argue that it's been cause of criticism and knowledge, and that fans critik New Spongebob for its poor execution. If that was the case, my whole argument would have been "I loved Old Spongebob as a kid." I used to like New Spongebob more as a kid, but I then realized that what I was watching was garbage. I started analyzing episodes and pinpointing the reasoning for why Old Spongebob was better. This puts your "nostalgia" theory to rest.
bschnoz

Con

bschnoz forfeited this round.
lol101

Pro

My opponent has forfeited 2 rounds so far.

I must point out that Con cannot post another rebuttal or a new argument because:
a) I can't make a rebuttal to counter it, so it's unfair
b) The rules state that Round 5 has to represent conclusions, not arguments or rebuttals.

Pro has come up with a case, has refuted Con's one attempt to make a rebuttal, and hasn't forfeited any of the rounds. Con, on the other hand, has come up with a weak rebuttal, does not provide a strong case, (if it can be considered a case) and has forfeited 2 rounds.

Vote PRO
bschnoz

Con

bschnoz forfeited this round.
Posted by lol101 1 year ago
lol101
On imdb the old movie has better ratings, though. Other opinions do not count for the debate; only arguments count.
Posted by Debate_King1475 1 year ago
Debate_King1475
I noticed how you extended the year to 2005, which was the year that the first Spongebob movie came out. Clever to use that on you side but the new Spongebob movie that came out got even better ratings than the first one. I could see this debate going either way. I personally love the old ones best.
Posted by Romanii 1 year ago
Romanii
I'm with 9space on this.

Thinking about the old spongebob makes me nostalgic :(
Posted by lol101 1 year ago
lol101
True guys. True. I was dissapointed by the results of last time when someone else agreed to my first version of this debate. He did poorly, and I was hoping to get a better debater to accept. He did mention that it was a stupid debate and no one would've accepted if he hadn't, but it's really because nobody likes New Spongebob.
Posted by greatkitteh 1 year ago
greatkitteh
Of course Old sponegebob is better!
Posted by greatkitteh 1 year ago
greatkitteh
This is like saying "Should Kim jong un be the leader of the UN?
Posted by courtneydemore 1 year ago
courtneydemore
The comedic aspect of spongebob from 1999-2005 is a lot my dry. Now spongebobs jokes are forced and don't relate to anyone in this modern age. It's absolutely obnoxious. Although from 2006-now its in better format HD. Over all, I would be pro 1999-2005, it has great kids humour.
Posted by Daboss_McSwag 1 year ago
Daboss_McSwag
Not even close, old spongebob was easily superior, new spongebob is politically correct, baby-proofed, and has all the bad attributes that make me shudder at Nickelodeon today.
Posted by lol101 1 year ago
lol101
Agreed.
Posted by 9spaceking 1 year ago
9spaceking
this is not a debate. It is the truth. XD