LucyLucy
TomCruise

OmniGod

LucyLucy

Con

The divine paradox is this:

Could an omnipotent being create a stone so heavy that even he could not lift it?" If he could lift the rock, then it seems that the being would not have been omnipotent to begin with in that he would have been incapable of creating a heavy enough stone; if he could not lift the stone, then it seems that the being either would never have been omnipotent to begin with or would have ceased to be omnipotent upon his creation of the stone.

Answer me this and I'll become a Christian!
TomCruise

Pro

Simple, omnipotence just means God could bring about any logical event, but asking if he could create a stone so heavy he couldn't lift is itself a meaningless question, it's illogical to think a stone could be so heavy that it couldn't by physically lifted, God isn't made of body parts like we are and gravity was created by him.
LucyLucy

Con

OK, then gravity and physical things God isn't bound by, so he CAN create a stone so heavy that he can lift! But htat implies that God would not have been omnipotent to begin with in that he would have been incapable of creating a heavy enough stone. This is why it's called a dilemma.
TomCruise

Pro

No, I also said that it's meaningless to say omnipotent entails creating a stone impossible to lift because of the forces of gravity, that itself is meaningless.
LucyLucy

Con

I don't think I'm becoming a Christian today people! Turns out saying that a heavy stone that's too heavy for an omnipotent God to lift has alot of meaning! It means God's impossible.
TomCruise

Pro

We'll have to actually argue this again I think it went too quick like a instant messanger, I'm new to this site too and it seems that debates on here are more elaborate than the site I'm used to. Want a do-over?

Anyways, it IS meaningless to ask if a heavy stone can be too heavy to lift by omnipotence, it's simply not logical that a stone be unliftable and also a stone, for that would be a stump attached to the ground.
Posted by Chaox 3 years ago
Chaox
I doubt you could become a Christian just from losing an argument. If you truly want to become a Christian, but can't because you don't understand these concepts, try going to a local church sometime on Sundays. Otherwise, if you are just questioning Christianity because you doubt it and have something against it, don't talk like, "Ill become Christian if blablabla". Sometimes God is something more than we humans can process.