On Balance, social networking websites do more good than harm

Started: 4/11/2010 Category: Technology

Hey guys. I am radicalguy44 and in this debate I will prove that social networking websites do more harm than good.

I would like the PRO to start, and please make this an LD style debate!
Good luck PRO!

Alright, thanks radicalguy for posting an interesting topic, and lets get this started! As a sidenote, I am a bit pressed for time these days, so i'm apologizing in advance for the inevitable brevity of my case.

I affirm the resolution resolved, "On balance, social networking websites do more good than harm"

I'll start off with definitions.

Social Networking Site: "A social network service focuses on building and reflecting of social networks or social relations among people, e.g., who share interests and/or activities. A social network service essentially consists of a representation of each user (often a profile), his/her social links, and a variety of additional services."

My value for judging 'good' and 'harm' will be utilitarianism, a value which we can both meet common ground with. My criteria will be social connectivity/harmony and the spreading of information, both of which are values intrinsic to the betterment of the human race. Without strong communities, and without common knowledge being spread amongst the people, we never could have achieved he technological and sociological wonders that we cherish today.

Contention 1: Social networking strengthens social bonds, leading to a myriad of positive outcomes.

Sub Point A: The strengthening of social bonds aids the development of social harmony.

Sites such as Facebook and MySpace are used as means to build up friendships, have conversations, and compete in small games in a positive atmosphere. This new vehicle of interacting with other people inevitably leads to making better friends and having more people to interact with, allowing people to exchange ideas even when they cannot meet in person. They also make the process of forementioned socialization streamlined and expedient.

Sub Point B: These sites allow for international correspondence, leading to international fraternity.
Years ago, the standard means of distant communication was by letter. Of course, the obvious flaws were the time involved and the need for a specific address. The advent of the e-mail made messaging instantaneous, but a specific destination was still requisite. With the creation of Facebook and Myspace however, it is possible to link to and find people from all across the globe and communicate in a streamlined manner. Really, all these sites are trying to do is simplify and improve the capability of communication around the globe. The implications are staggering. Bonds of friendship crossing borders, even continents is something our predecessors would not have dared dream of. But it most certainly exists. Also, it provides a medium for communication for distant people who already know each other. For example, I recently moved from MA to CA, and wanted to stay in touch with my network of friends. Would e-mail have been functional? Of course. But Facebook allowed me to stay in touch with friends with unparalleled proximity. In the negatives world, I would have been confined to stiff e-mails instead of Facebook's fluidity. In their world, NO SOCIAL NETWORKING WOULD EXIST.

Contention 2: Social Networking Sites Aid in spreading information and current events.
Through being updated constantly through the thoughts and musing of others on a live basis, it leads to the assimilatiof knowledge of current events. How I learned about MJ's death? Facebook. Chilean Earthquak? Facebook. Now, while the negative would say that sites like Google News or the New York Times could be used, people go to Facebook much more often just because it has a positive atmosphere. Long have educators attempted to educate the masses while simultaneously entertaining, them, and these sites do just that. They make events which would once have been nerdy to orate about socially relevant and requisite to prosper in the comments section.

Sub Point A: Social Networking Sites help spread different opinions and thoughts about an issue, leading to mental diversity.
By allowing near instantaneous response and analysis of world events, fresh perspectives and vantage points can be seen, allowing for lively debate and introspection. For example, I have a friend of mine who converted from Christianity to Atheism after a long and philosophical theological discussion.

Contention 3: Social Networking Allows and Encourages the creation of grassroots clubs and movements.
With the feature of easily being able to find mutual friends and send out messages with intuitive responses, Facebook allows for the expedient creation of clubs and organizations joined together with mutual goals such as spreading political awareness or fund raising. The expediency of recruitment and the ability to organize events and hierarchy are once again improved by social networking.

For all these reasons, you must affirm. I am now ready for Cross Ex.

Radicalguy44 forfeited this round.

Alright, because my opponent forfeited his round, that means he cedes ALL my points. Essentially, because my opponent has no offense and no defense, no matter what happens in the third round I have already won this debate as per LD rules.

Radicalguy44 forfeited this round.

Well, seeing as how i'm the only one who posted, it seems pretty simple who you should vote for.l
Posted by RoyLatham 6 years ago
Con didn't show up. No contest.
Posted by TheBoxTheorem 6 years ago
Dats cool, keep in mind that LD is pretty easy to get into though. You just have to label your arguments Contentions and come up with a value/criterion. Essentially, the latter is the only 'unique' part of LD.
Posted by InsertNameHere 6 years ago
Hmm...I would have accepted this, except I know nothing about LD or any debate formats for that matter. I just debate freestyle.
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 6 years ago
Vote Placed by TheBoxTheorem 6 years ago