Machiavel
fuzala

On Human Nature

Machiavel

Con

On this debate, I propose that anyone with an opinion on human nature post an opinion, which I will subsequently refute.

Rules:
1. No unsupported arguments or bland idealism.
2. No purely emotional arguments.
fuzala

Pro

My topic for human nature: Human nature has a confirmation bias.

I will use the definition from a Princeton site: "Confirmation bias (also called confirmatory bias or myside bias) is a tendency for people to favor information that confirms their preconceptions or hypotheses regardless of whether the information is true.[Note 1][1] As a result, people gather evidence and recall information from memory selectively, and interpret it in a biased way."
http://www.princeton.edu...
(Where it says [Note 1], you can't click on it here, but you will be able to do so in the link I provided).

Evidence for the confirmation bias: "A great deal of empirical evidence supports the idea that the confirmation bias is extensive and strong and that it appears in many guises"
http://psy2.ucsd.edu...

The evidence is more detailed in that pdf. It talks about the vital things such as the experimental studies.

Machiavel

Con

Confirmation bias is difficult to refute, as few people are sufficiently open-minded to accept all ideas and information at face value. With extremely opinionated people, this is doubly the case; they are often unwilling to admit the validity of an opposing or alternative argument as they view it as a sign of weakness that either their pride or ego will not allow them to concede. Few people, especially those in comfortable situations, long for change and are therefore resistant to a change of opinion.

I will admit that humans have a confirmation bias, but I would point out that it is not always the major factor in decision making. I tend to find, during the developmental years of one's life, exposure to various outside powerful influences and especially immersion in a particular environment tends to result in confirmation bias in later years, For example, it is rare for young adults to stray from their parent's political opinions while still living with them, as they are exposed to generally one-sided arguments and evidence that only supports that side. But as they go to college, many of these political opinions are changed by immersion in a different environment of intellectual equals and are more free to express different political opinions. For that reason, I would say that exposure to a certain environment is the primary determining factor in human decision making.

It is worth noting that few young people tend to be extremely opinionated as they are often unsure of themselves as people and what information to believe from the various influences they are exposed to, but older people tend to be more "set in their ways" and favor certain arguments regardless of the surroundings, as they have discovered who they are and have committed to a particular opinion. Confirmation bias may determine opinions of older people, but the situation through which we influence the young is how we will affect our future.
fuzala

Pro

Good point, however, that does not refute the confirmation bias.
Machiavel

Con

Machiavel forfeited this round.
fuzala

Pro

I forfeit this debate. I think I picked an unfair topic. It seems impossible to refute.
Posted by fuzala 3 years ago
fuzala
I have an itch to give a tip, but I can't help the opposing side.
Posted by InvictusManeo 3 years ago
InvictusManeo
How serious is this really? Any argument on human nature? Can it cover sexual topics too?