evanallred123
therightman432

On balance, Nikola Tesla is better than Thomas Edison

evanallred123

Pro

I support the resolution that states: On balance, Nikola Tesla is better than Thomas Edison.

This will be a clean round. No insults or trolling.

You will have 72 hours to post your argument with a 10,000 character maximum.

The rounds will go as follows:
Round 1: Acceptance
Round 2: Cases (NO rebuttals)
Round 3: Rebuttals
Round 4: Rebuttals
Round 5: Summary (NO new arguments)

Breaking of any of these rules will result in auto-forfeiture.

I hope for a fun and challenging debate!
therightman432

Con

Thomas Edison invented the light bulb
evanallred123

Pro

Since my opponent has posted his argument, I will assume that he has accepted, and I thank him for that. However, my opponent must still post his case this round in order to follow the round protocol. If he doesn't, he will be disqualified.

I stand in firm affirmation of the resolution which states: On balance, Nikola Tesla is better than Thomas Edison. Since the resolution states, "on balance", my judges must view this round based on balance, i.e.., the benefits of Tesla must outweigh his detriments in order for Pro to win this round.

Contention 1: Tesla invented more useful things
While Edison did "invent" the incandescent light bulb (he ripped it off of Humphrey Davy's idea[1]), Tesla invented much more; the florescent light bulb, radio, remote control, the electric motor, robotics, lasers, and wireless communication and limitless free energy (the only reason we have to pay for electricity is because when the contractor found out that Tesla would make energy free and there was no money in it, he canceled the construction of Tesla's energy tower), plus he discovered x-rays. Probably Tesla's most useful invention was alternating current (AC). Alternating current was so much more effective than Edison's direct current (DC), that Edison set up public demonstration in which he electrocuted animals using AC in an attempt to make people think that it was dangerous. With DC, there had to be power generators every 1 mile, and the cables running between them had to be thicker than your arm, making them extremely expensive and ugly, plus detrimental to the environment. However, with AC (which we still use today), you only need inch-thick wires going on thin poles. Far cheaper and less environmentally damaging. And these are only a few of Tesla's inventions.

Contention 2: Edison was a bad person
Most people don't know this, but Tesla actually worked for Edison for a short time...until Edison cheated Tesla out of what would now be equivalent to $1 million. Edison had heard about Tesla and wanted him to improve Edison's DC generators. He promised Tesla $50,000 ($1 million in today's money). Tesla worked long hours for several months until he finally did it. When he came to Edison to ask for his money, Edison laughed him off, saying, “When you become a full-fledged American, you will appreciate an American joke[2].” Besides this, Edison didn't even come up with his own patents. All he did was hire people to come up with his ideas for him, and then steal them, market them, and get rich because of them.

Since Tesla actually invented far more important things than Edison, and besides that Edison was an overall bad person, there is no other ballot than that of the Pro.

[1] - http://www.unmuseum.org...
[2] - http://mentalfloss.com...
therightman432

Con

Thomas Edison was a nice guy
evanallred123

Pro

I thank my opponent for responding.

All that my opponent said was "Thomas Edison is a nice guy." However, he brought up no evidence or even logic to support his claim, whereas I have provided the example of Edison cheating Tesla out of $1 million today's money, therefore proving that Edison is not a nice guy.

Since my opponent made no attacks against my case besides that one, the rest of my case flows through.

therightman432

Con

therightman432 forfeited this round.
evanallred123

Pro

I extend my previous arguments.
therightman432

Con

therightman432 forfeited this round.
evanallred123

Pro

Let it be noted that my opponent has forfeited not only one, but two rounds. This fact alone should result in immediate disqualification.

I extend my previous arguments.
therightman432

Con

therightman432 forfeited this round.
Posted by Tylera.yang 1 year ago
Tylera.yang
i think con wins what do u all think?
Posted by sputnick1 1 year ago
sputnick1
There is no conceivable way Con can win this argument.